5.0 out of 5 stars The Dame At The V & A In A Nutshell
If you are intending to go to see the exhibition at the V & A or not, then you need this book. It in a nutshell, it contains photos, many close up, of all the main exhibits at the museum. From all the early 'Ziggy' costumes through to the one's he wore for the Reality tour via a breathtaking section based around the Diamond Dogs tour. As no photographs are allowed to be...
Published 16 months ago by Mark Sach

2.0 out of 5 stars The star rating for the book is not a reflection of the content but quality.
I was upset when I received this book as it was a present for my partner and though advertised as new and came packaged. It has a hole on one of the pages.

Melanie Ibbotson
Published 6 months ago by Melanie Ibbotson

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 9 July 2014
excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars DAVID BOWIE IS .......MAKING ME REVIEW!, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: David Bowie Is (Hardcover)
I have never reviewed anything that I have bought before, but having looked at this book it made me decide to break my duck.
I have only just received it this morning and as somebody else said what a year to be a Bowie fan.
I was very surprised on opening the box as having only seen the book in a picture I never really thought about the size, although if somebody had asked me I would of said, I think its the size of a smallish hard backed book.
Boy was i wrong it is huge!.I have only had time to flick through quickly but from what I have seen it is well worth the discounted price, in fact it is worth the recommended retail price, that's how good it is.
There are some great photos of the different Bowie stage costumes, that are in the V+A museum show,and various others from different stages of DB's extraordinary career, I am sure I will find a lot more tonight when I sit down to have a good look.
This is a very very well put together book, and I now cant wait to go to the exhibition and see it all first hand.
If you are going to the show, buy this book it is a must, in fact if you are not a DB fan and you are not going to the show,this book is still a must! Only problem is you might kick yourself for discovering DB 40 years to late!!.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifetime of Bowie!, 15 July 2013
This review is from: David Bowie Is (Hardcover)
I ordered this book for my mothers birthday. She had tried and tried to get tickets to the event at the V&A to no avail and I thought this would serve as a fitting alternative and gift. It was delivered well within its estimated delivery dates and very carefully packaged. Sealed nicely and not a scratch on it. Needless to say she was over the moon with it, not only does she love his music and has for may years, working as a seamstress and dressmaker herself she enjoyed it all that much more for the outfits and their design and the chord that struck with her. A must for any Bowie fan its incredibly put together and a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just so interesting, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: David Bowie Is (Hardcover)
I LOVED this book. It is beautifully produced and designed and provides a fascinating range of intelligent pieces on Bowie from many different angles. Fantastic photos of the costumes on display at the V&A too and an excellent accompaniment to the exhibition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 19 April 2013
This review is from: David Bowie Is (Hardcover)
A great book, highly recommended to all Bowie nuts out there. I've been a huge fan for almost 40 years and I saw some new stuff, and it's a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Emotional, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: David Bowie Is (Hardcover)
There's a lot of Bowie stuff on sale as you wend your way out of the V&A Bowie exhibition and of course, compared to Amazon, it's all very overpriced. A pack of Bowie postcards for 20? "Leave off guv'nor!" (as David might just have said way back in his 'Laughing Gnome' days). A lovely little metal badge of Bowie wearing his pointy clown hat sir? Not at 5 quid mate. There are Bowie slogan bags, pencils and erasers. Badges, badly made T-shirts and scarves. But amongst all the silly crap there's this wonderful book. The text is typically trite but nevertheless informative for the younger types who just weren't there when it mattered.

The chap who took my audio gadget from me as I left the exhibition said "It's emotional isn't it!"

And it was. And all the really good stuff is in this book. I actually got this book before I saw the exhibition. I sat down and set aside an hour to go through its excellent contents. This book is a trip in itself and the hardback edition is the one to get. It somehow manages to achieve the status of a precious personal object because it catalogues Bowie's meticulously preserved costume collection so beautifully. The handwritten lyrics and other artefacts reveal themselves wonderfully between the lush, heavy hardback covers. Soon I realised the hour I'd put aside to examine the book had turned into two.

There are plenty of excellent photographs as well. The Mick Rock 'Ziggy' photos in particular. One shows Bowie naked but for pants onstage in 1972 in Scotland. It's almost incredible he didn't get taken outside and beaten up. But there he is and the audience have their hands outstretched in adoration.

In the exhibition I heard a little boy saying that it was scary. And he was right. It's a shame that here in 2013 people are so used to so many different forms of entertainment that nothing seems revolutionary. It's all been done. But back in 1972, Bowie was genuinely startling, scary, exciting and new. And this book is a fabulous record of those times.

And this time Aladdin Sane's eyes are open.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bargain of the year, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: David Bowie Is (Hardcover)
...saw this book at the V&A during the White Duke's exibit in August & I did not quite like the price it was on offer...then Amazon came & the miracle happened!

A present for a beloved friend of mine who loves David & not well at the mo...Amazon, you keep everyone smiling, I know he'll love it...thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: David Bowie Is (Hardcover)
A truly brilliant book for any Bowie fan to read and have in their collection. It is worth every cent.David Bowie Is

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 5 Aug 2013
Paul Ockenden - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Bowie Is (Hardcover)
I reckon this book will appeal to Bowie nerds (like me), and to everyone else too.

It's ostensibly a companion to the recent V&A exhibition, but don't let that put you off, as you don't need to have seen the show to enjoy the book.

I found it well written, engaging, and very enjoyable. The production value are high too, with my only criticism being that in a couple of places the ink from a very dark page has marked the page opposite.

This is probably the most authoritative and comprehensive Bowie biog ever written, and usefully all of the reference sources are footnoted.

You can buy other Bowie books for a lot less than this one, but this book really is in a different league.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why withdraw after only 5 star reviews, 7 April 2013
This review is from: David Bowie Is (Hardcover)
After being lucky enough to see the exhibition two days ago this book is the perfect souvenir and much much more. All Bowie fans need a copy it's magnificent. After comparing prices in the shop with Amazon I waited till I got back to order a copy only to find it has been withdrwn from sale at what can only be described as their bargain price for such a weighty and well produced tome. I do hope this isn't a ploy to up the price as I would expect demand to be massive. Come on Amazon get this back on your store asap

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

David Bowie Is
David Bowie Is by Geoffrey Marsh (Hardcover - 23 Mar 2013)
22.75