Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 January 2013
Every bit as good as Book One. I can't fault these books, everything I could wish for in a book on historic dress. It is a thing of beauty, just as good to look at - the detailed photographs of beautiful garments - as to follow the detailed instructions on how the garments were constructed. I have a growing collection of costume books but this series is by far my favourite. I only wish there were more garments/objects covered. I hope the series continues....
on 3 February 2013
Absolutely brilliant - the pictures, and details of these garments are amazing. The x-rays photos really illuminate the construction of these clothes. Beautiful book, with so much to study and learn and admire.
on 6 November 2013
I was thrilled to open this beautiful book for the first time. I had heard that the author, Jenny Tiramani, is an expert in her field and I wanted to learn from her. The lay out is excellent and the explanations are well thought out.
I am inspired to create my own garments with a seventeenth century twist.
I recommend this book to anyone with an interest in clothes as well as historical costume.
on 15 January 2015
A must for any historical costumer!

Both this and volume 1 were arriving on the market just as I was finishing my degree, and I really do wish they had been available when I was studying!

Much like Patterns of Fashion by Janet Arnold, both of these books contain patterns on grids to be scaled up by the user; however, what makes these books so fantastic is that they go into great detail in how each item can be replicated with step-by-step instructions which are as close to historically accurate as the writers could make them.

I was actually made aware of these books when I worked very briefly on a project at the Bowes Museum alongside costumier and contributor Luca Costigliolo. Having first hand experience of Luca's work and knowledge, I cannot recommend these books enough for anyone who wants to develop their knowledge of historical clothing and techniques.
on 17 March 2016
I received this just before my trip to Blythe House, where I was able to see for myself some of the items described. As a performer and lecturer in Historical Dance, I make a lot of period costumes so books like this are a godsend. It arrived promptly and in good condition.
on 23 March 2013
This book is excellent in terms of detailed text and photographs. It is beautifully presented and has been of great interest to our 17th century costume making group.
on 29 March 2013
It was a long wait for the book to be published but it was well worth the wait. If you are interested in 17th century clothing then this book is for you. It is well researched and well presented and we cannot wait for the next book for Men's clothing.
on 12 September 2015
not quite what I was expecting