Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 November 2011
Produced by the Victoria and Albert Museum, this children's book is a gem. Perhaps it is more a collector's item than an everyday story book as you won't want your child scribbling all over the stunningly executed illustrations by Emily Sutton, but I recoomend it warmly as being in the best traddition of illustrated books for children. A lovely Christmas present for parents growing a tad weary of Maisy, The Night Garden, and Peppa Pig (worthy though all these offerings are!)
on 30 December 2012
We went to the V&A today and picked up this great book which we read three times on the way home. My 5 year old daughter loves it and my 3 year old son was happy to read it too (there is a boyt with a sword included).
Clara, a young fashionista, is devastated when her brother ruins her best hat. Her resourceful mother takes her on an inspiration gathering trip to the V&A. However, every mother's nightmare - Clara gets lost in the V&A.............
The stunning detailed illustrations - particularly of London streets - add to the tale and provide plenty to discuss. The iconic London shop facades in particular are great - a naive David Gentleman style?
This book is a great introduction to museums and how items from the past inpire design.

My kids came home and played with our buttons for ages.
I suspect this book is destined to become a classic.
on 31 May 2014
Really lovely story & stunning illustrations. Perfect for any little girl who loves dressing up -

Just a footnote about the Free Stickers mentioned by a previous reviewer - The Hardback version does NOT include the free stickers at the back. The Softback version DOES include the stickers though - I know this as we were at the V&A yesterday where I saw this book in softback (I have the Hardback). Hope that helps!
on 23 December 2015
We love this book. It was a gift for my daughter who is now 6. She and her little brother (4) both love it. It inspired us to visit the V&A museum and go on a mission to find the items mentioned in the book. Really beautifully illustrated. We now have the Wedding Suprise book as well, which is also lovely.
on 13 February 2014
This is a sweet book especially if you live in London or going on a visit to the Museum.
It was too young for the child I bought it for but she'll enjoy it when she's older particularly as she loves hats.
on 2 November 2013
Really beautiful book and great story, be warned a grandma has died and is mentioned in the story - seems a little trivial when I mention it but I bought this book as a present, but when I got it home I felt I couldn't give it to them because of this. My children both love this story though - my daughter is four and son is two. Just beware if you are buying it as a present!
on 31 May 2013
Delightful book, with a simple story made very special by beautiful illustrations. I loved the many tiny details, elegant choice of colour and graphical quality of the pictures. I decided to buy this book after reading an article on the illustrator Emily Sutton in the Country Living magazine and went for the original English edition though the book is also published in Italy (same format, hardcover, obviously translated in Italian). I really enjoyed the book and think the illustrator is very talented. I now look forward to the new book 'Clara Button and the Wedding Day Surprise' that will be published next October.
on 15 April 2014
We took this book out from our local library for our four year old who loved it so much, that we bought it for her birthday. Lovely story, beautifully illustrated and a keeper for years to come
on 11 July 2013
Nice tale of Clara who's Grandma's hat meets with an accident. The ensuing story is a trip through London visiting Hat departments on the way. This will be a treasured book!
on 27 March 2016
Lovely book. My daughter and I love this. The beautiful hats, the V and A, we just love reading it. Can't wait to buy another book about Clara button.