Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 May 2010
This is a beautiful book which looks at the history of patchwork with lots of interesting illustrations. It contains several projects which are aimed at beginners. I really like the projects and felt the instructions and illustrations were very clear. This book would make a very attractive present as it's a quality hardback and beautifully designed. Bear in mind that the historical information makes up the majority of the book so it may not be suitable if you are only interested in a book of projects.
on 27 June 2010
I was not very happy with this book. It was more a history of patchwork than having projects to follow.
on 1 December 2010
I am a true beginner to patchwork, and I thought this book would be everything to know about patchwork, but it told me nothing, I wanted to know how I put the material together, but I am still in the dark about it.
on 4 October 2010
This is a nicely produced book, but I was quite disappointed with the content. Most of the pictures are just arty exerpts from the V and A museun and bear little relation to the text. There is some information, but the templates are very small. It is very much a museum book, rather thah a manual, which is what I wanted.
on 13 May 2013
If you want to know about the history of patchwork then this book is good. If not then don't bother. I found it interesting to learn about how patchwork came about but as a complete novice was looking for some ideas. The templates were a joke as well. Am sure that if you were wanting to have a go at patchwork then you know the principles of drawing a square and a triangle!! Waste of money in my opinion.
VINE VOICEon 3 September 2012
This book if fine if you are really interested in the history of patchwork. I found it far less inspirational than other books I've seen on patchwork, and concentrates on hand sewing of patches, even the crazy patchwork. That's good if you're looking for a fireside project for the winter, but there are no actual quilt projects in the book, only the classic pincushion from hexagons.
If you're looking for projects and lots of ideas, I would try another book. On the other hand if you are intersted in the historical aspcts of patchwork you might find it interesting.
It reads to me like a book that may have been written as a City and Guilds project for a qualification or something like that.
on 12 September 2011
Very disappointed when I received this book, was more a history lesson of how Victorian's approached this type of needlework. Too much history and not nearly enough content on patchwork lessons for beginners, misleading title.
on 9 December 2010
There isn't really enough guidance/content in this book for someone who really wants to begin patchwork. Some lovely fabrics are illustrated, but not that many actual patchwork quilts which would be more inspiring to a beginner or a non-beginner. (Not sure what the photos of, for example, hydrangeas, pedlar dolls or a silk busk with stays are intended to show.)
I suggest the publishers change the title. Unfortunately, a triumph of presentation over useable content.
on 22 April 2012
I didnt find this book at all inspiring
its not very user frindly. As a beginer it didnt inspire me at all
on 30 June 2014
I should have read these reviews before I bought the book ! Fortunately, I didn't buy it new. The second hand copy is in good condition but has more content about the history of patchwork, I was expecting more instruction, tips and hints. Oh well, next time I'll check the reviews first !