on 27 September 2012
I've read his 500 page book 'Jesus and the Eyewitnesses" and it blew me away how Bauckham shows that the Gospels were seen as credible historical testimony back then.

I had a conversation with one of my atheist colleagues about the credibility of the Gospels and found that rather than give him the full book, this Grove Books version would allow for the conversation to continue without delay. It worked like an academic tract.

Also, I was amazed at how Bauckham has gone beyond standard arguments of the Gospels' historical credibility to how the genre of the Gospels would have signalled to the reader that "I am reading an eyewitness historical biography."

And surprisingly Bauckham argues that the Gospel of John would have been received as the most credible of the four, contrary to standard scholarship!

Check it out. It will be worth your time.