5.0 out of 5 stars A real pleasure to read

Published 16 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A real pleasure to read, 6 Oct 2013
Mr. Lawrence A. Suss "Loz" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Travels with Epicurus: Meditations from a Greek Island on the Pleasures of Old Age (Hardcover)
I was given a copy of this book, Travels with Epicurus, by my wife whilst we were holidaying on Samos this year, which is, by chance, the birthplace of Epicurus. So I had the perfect setting to read the book: warm Greek sun, ouzo and staying near the birthplace of Epicurus. I am a little younger than Daniel Klein but I am in the process of fully retiring (having partly retired in summer 2011).

This book proved to be delight: it focusses the mind on what it is to lead a good life and so, by extension, what it is to lead a good old age. It is a real easy read, especially for something about philosophy, and the writing style is a pleasure. Like some other reviewers, I could not put it down. It has helpd me to think about how I wish to spend my retired time without being to theoretical or heavy. Very well worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Old age in Greece, 14 Aug 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It's filled with Greek sunshine, it's not stupid, and it's a cheering meditation on old age and death. And it's short. It suffers a little from that annoying informality that so many American writers affect nowadays - you know the kind of thing, where they describe Nietzsche as "that nutty nihilist" and talk about "noodling" things out, but it's just about tolerable. I got it in the Kindle summer sale for 99p and at that price, it's definitely worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 24 Nov 2012
Bookaddict (Western Australia) - See all my reviews
As someone who loves Hydra I was immediately engaged. A great read - I read it in two sittings since I couldnt put it down. It is thought provoking and also very amusing in parts. Very well written AND I have learned more about the various philosophers and philosophies than I knew before :-) Recommended reading for anyone heading towards 'old age'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Positive Philosophy, 8 Sep 2013
S. V. Rhodes "Sheila, bibliophile" (Letchworth Garden City) - See all my reviews
The cover, of course, is evocative, and the book does make you want to visit Greece (again) as soon as possible. I'm smiling just thinking about the book, and enjoyed it so much that I'm resolved to follow Daniel Klein's philosophy of accepting advancing age gracefully. So what if one walks a little more slowly and that life is slowing down? There are plenty of gentle pleasures still: after a little light gardening it is delightful to sit and watch the butterflies, maybe sip a glass of wine, and feel lucky to be able to sit and read quite often without a scintilla of guilt.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring book that makes old age worthwhile!, 24 Oct 2013
I would highly recommend this book to any impending retiree or recent retiree. Could be life changing. Read it with care.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this!, 19 May 2014
If you love Greece and you love a book in your hand, then this is for you. (Middle age helps too).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great questions raised for the older reader, 13 Dec 2013
Klein writes well. He raises the questions that those of us getting older
want to think about and discuss. It is a delight to read

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely read, 2 Nov 2013
It's worth the tiny outlay just to have a read of something so endearingly thoughtful, and life-enhancing in outlook.
buy It!

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been really good, well written and formatted but just goes really badly from the start downwards. Not worth the money, 10 Sep 2014
Dear father

I have sent you a book on Epicurus because I read the beginning and it was exciting and novel. It was meant to be a celebration of old age but as I progressed with it it became rather less interesting, a sort of middle age crisis, at the end it seemed to me like trying to prolong the end of one's own life and stretch the book out. I will not be at all hurt if you consign it to the dustbin but you may enjoy it, I read it through to the end.

This is what I sent my father. It would probably apply to me too, so much promise, pity it didn't continue. Unfortunately applies to the book as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars As an old git...,, 11 Oct 2014
Yes, as an old man, I'm rather taken with Epicurus, I never liked the Stoics anyway ( too bossy ). Daniel Klein wears his scholarship lightly and guides us affectionately through his Odyssey with the touch of a kindly old uncle. The book was easy to digest, sunny and positive ( no mean feat when facing up to old age). So, all in all, young Klein, a thoroughly enjoyable good read of a book,and one I shall revisit again. Hey, and I'm not your agent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›