5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring read
Straight forward, easy to understand, description of why we do what we do day after day without thinking. A scientific book without the jargon together with numerous relevant examples to explain every concept. Unusually for such a book, the author is English and so the examples relate to everyday life in the UK: no baseball here.
Every aspect of habits appears to be...
Published on 15 Mar. 2013 by Tony Jarrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy, but some good sources
I nearly stopped reading before I reached the practical suggestions because the long stuff at the start about how important habits are was fundamentally flawed. As I read I realised that many of the phenomena the author was taking as habits weren't really habits at all. He also kept saying that habits are unconscious, which isn't always true.

So, not a good...
Published on 20 April 2013 by Matthew Leitch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much use as a self-help book, 20 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Making Habits, Breaking Habits: How to Make Changes that Stick (Paperback)
This book is marketed in the self-help field with its subtitle "How to make changes that stick".

However, it is one of those psychology books that catalogue endless dubious experiments by other psychologists, and is short on practical and pithy advice and exercises for changing habits.

Interesting in its own way, but for practical ideas to help change habits of thought and action there are far more useful tomes by the likes of Stuart Wilde and Tony Robbins among many others.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, 7 Dec. 2013
Practical and readable for the most part. Gives you the feeling that change is possible - not a small thing for a book of this type.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practical ideas about habits, 5 Jan. 2013
A very enjoyable and instructive read which is engagingly written in plain language without confusing technical jargon, but more importantly, this book can really help you to improve yourself. If you want to change bad habits like for example: smoking, poor diet, lack of exercise and hundreds of others, then this excellent book is for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 30 July 2013
I usually enjoy books like this but I found the writing style tedious. It did not say anything I had not read before.

4.0 out of 5 stars valuable and enjoyable read, 9 Mar. 2014
Is fascinating read.mr dean likes his evidence,this is fine by me but after a while accounts of tests,experiments and scientific papers start to blur a bit.he does however have an engaging writing style so is able to move things along at a pace.
At the end I,m not sure i had any huge insights but I did consider that I knew as much about the subject as I needed to

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful information here, 8 Jan. 2014
This book explained why good intentions and initial action often peters out. The author also offered strategies to prevent this happening. How often have you started something and then, 6 months later, asked yourself why you are not doing it any more? I will be re-reading this and then putting the suggestions into action. Worth a look if you want to keep up your New Year's resolution past February.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 6 May 2013
Ian Simmins - See all my reviews
I read this book in less than 48 hours and found it so helpful to back up my recent Hypnotherapy session. Accurate, inspired and witty. highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars I have found it quite insightful and will be using what I've learned to help me change some of my less useful habits., 3 Oct. 2014
This is a really smooth read about an interesting and often misunderstood topic. I have found it quite insightful and will be using what I've learned to help me change some of my less useful habits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for those interested in habit building, 2 Nov. 2014
Alex Quigley (UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent read. I was familiar with Jeremy Dean from his excellent psychology website and his easy style and well informed research made for a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars so true, 17 Dec. 2014
one of the most insightful books ever written. Love it

Making Habits, Breaking Habits: How to Make Changes that Stick