4.0 out of 5 stars intelligent overview of this fascinating subject
Anthes takes a tour through the weird world of modified animals, be it via genetic engineering, cloning or robotics. We are coming on in leaps and bounds in what we can achieve with biotechnology and combining the electronics revolution with animals. Along the way Anthes raises ethical questions about whether we have the right to modify nature or if animals should have...
Published on 15 Mar. 2013 by 3rd spearman

3.0 out of 5 stars Journalistic rather than scholarly
Published 23 months ago by M

3.0 out of 5 stars Journalistic rather than scholarly, 25 May 2013
I'd recommend anyone interested in technology and science. However, the reason that I have only rated it 3 Stars is that I found myself getting frustrated by the feeling that I was being 'sold' biotechnology (it felt like an 'evangelistic' text) rather than be presented with case studies (which there are) and a balanced argument (which I don't think there is). The book appears to be well research, and is readable, but there is an undercurrent of the author's opinion and enthusiasm for the subject. This is okay, if you know that is the way it is written. If you are looking for a scholarly read with case studies or vignettes of biotechnology which will make you think for yourself and come to your own conclusions this might not be the book for you. Having said that, I'm only part way through the book, so I suggest that you read other reviews that may give a different and more holistic overview.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and thought provoking, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Frankenstein's Cat: Cuddling Up to Biotech's Brave New Beasts (Paperback)
This is an easy to read book that gives an insight into how we think and how this is affected by the people and things around us.

Frankenstein's Cat: Cuddling Up to Biotech's Brave New Beasts
Frankenstein's Cat: Cuddling Up to Biotech's Brave New Beasts by Emily Anthes (Paperback - 7 Mar. 2013)