5.0 out of 5 stars The great book with no end...
Thanks to Mark Boyle for sharing his experience through his book - The Money-less Man- I suggest that his 'journey' is more than a 'survival manual' or a busy 'eco-talk'.

This book is a gem to me. Showing genuine care and deep insights accomplished by a good sense of humour, shared as they appealed naturally to Mark.
I'm inspired and motivated. I feel...
Published on 9 Jun 2011 by Hippogryph

2.0 out of 5 stars I am the sort you would think would love this book, but ...
I am a left-leaning, mainly vegan, socialist simplicity seeker who loves reading books about environmental issues, 'downsizing' and philosophy around the way the current materialistic and capitalist system is shaping everything from the built environment to human happiness. So surely this is the book for me, right?
Um no.
I have the audiobook, and my heart...
Published 11 months ago by Natalia

5.0 out of 5 stars The great book with no end..., 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living (Paperback)

I'm inspired and motivated. I feel wholeheartedly happy that another man walking this Earth has changed this world by 'being the change' himself.
He cooperates with people and the environment. The whole theory is brought here in considerate action.

(in my opinion it is also about working the best with whatever we have and created..incl. money, system...and balance it back. Publicity here is necessary to get results for sustainability... the NOW)

Even though English isn't my first language 'The Money-less Man' is easy to read, empowering and educating.
Just by reading it I am invited to participate in environmental care and friendly community, without hearing what is right or wrong and without clichéd judgements of one's action.
Any questions I may have after reading it would be answered by a community of infinite Love.

Mark's book has had no end for me, it left me with an open door for me to continue my own spiritual journey which Mark has helped me to realise......

2.0 out of 5 stars I am the sort you would think would love this book, but ..., 13 Jan 2014
Natalia (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Um no.
I have the audiobook, and my heart started to sink as I heard the author start with his little simplified explanation of how in the past everyone happily bartered, and then someone came along and invented money, and debt, and then things went pear shaped. Sorry, but this is just totally inaccurate, especially the whole 'everyone used to barter' idea. Perhaps the author should have read a book such as 'Debt: The First 5,000 Years' by David Graeber, which explains why this is just simply untrue (and is a much better book about the effects of debt and money).
There are also some other philosophical and historical ideas that really rubbed me the wrong way - Boyle falls in to the 'noble savage' fallacy idea at times that primitive tribes that weren't as materialistic didn't have theft or crime or whatever - and he can be very, very judgemental of other people's choices, alternating his 'my way or the highway' standpoint with some really naive viewpoints such as that you don't notice the changing of the seasons if you live in a city (speak for yourself), or that everyone except those that live in isolated country can connect with nature.
I really wanted to like this book. And I think his experiment, and many of the ideas behind it, are valuable. But his philosophy, writing style and frank naivety were off-putting for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, thought-provoking project., 1 Jun 2010
E. Mutch "Bookworm73" (UK) - See all my reviews
Just finished a fascinating story about an even more fascinating project. I found it really funny and moving and an insight into a creative way of dealing with some of the problems we now face as a society. Not sure I agree with all of the arguments, but it's given me a lot to think about. I enjoy reading about different philosophies and ways of looking at the world and this book gave me both.

I am very impressed and this is the best book I have read since Tom Hodgkinson's "How to be free".

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Way To View The World Around You, 20 Jan 2013
James Battersby (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
One thing i must express before i write about this wonderful book is my surprise at the kinds of criticism towards it. It's one thing to be put off by the lifestyle that Boyle promotes in the book, but some of the views seem almost bitter, or dare i say it, tinged with a hint of jealousy that Boyle has recieved a little publicity as a freeconomist. One comment even suggested that this book should never have been printed in order that it keep with the beliefs of freeconomy. How else are we(the non freeconomists) supposed to learn about freeconomy if no one writes/blogs about it? Psychically? Some have also suggested that Boyle is preaching to the converted, but i think people have to remember that it's not just freeconomists or those with knowledge of freeconomy who are going to read it. I feel personally that Mark was probably NOT aiming at freeconomists, but that's just my opinion. I think he may have been aiming it at people like me, people who are tired of the money problem, yet have no knowledge of any other way. i really learned a lot from this book. In my opinion there are not enough books out there promoting this lifestyle. (and just imagine if every single person that cared about freeconomy, instead of finding fault with each other, supported each other and genuinly believed they were a team, a family; imagine what could be achieved!)

The Moneyless Man was a brilliant read. While of course i'm not certain, i imagine that most people in their lives have wondered "what if", what if you somehow found yourself faced with living in the outdoors with no money, no heat, no food. Would you have what it took to survive? It's a book that clearly affects people in different ways as can be seen in the positive and negative feedback. For myself, it made me recall all the teachings that my father gave me, about trees and how to identify them, about the various wild plants. It made me look at nature in a different way. If you were starving for food and had no access to any, it's nice to think that dandilions and nettles are, at the very least, a substitute. I think this would be an enjoyable, interesting book for many people, especially those who are tired of the ways of modern day civilisation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, inspiring, practical, and honest, 29 May 2010
B. Smith (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I am a member of the online Freeconomy community and have followed Mark's blog through the past year, so I was aware of some of the trials, tribulations, and joys that Mark has faced over the year covered in this book. I bought it because I believe what Mark is doing is both an interesting exploration of modern society (do we really need all this "stuff"?) and a noble philosophy (being free and open, giving with no desire to receive, can benefit us all) and I hoped I would gain some insights into how on earth you can really live without money.

The Moneyless Man asks some difficult questions and while I may not agree with all of the answers, it is a thought-provoking, inspiring, and well written documentary of a year filled with emotional and mental highs and lows. Maintaining a narrative style throughout, it's full of practical advice, thoughts on how we live our lives, and presents well sourced data when necessary without being full of numbers. Oh, and it's funny (and occasionally tragic) too!

It seems that "being the change you want to see" is not just a mantra, but something someone can really do.

[Caveat: I've met Mark and I'm mentioned in this book. Which I did not expect, until he told me!]

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read and then worth sharing with others :), 3 Jun 2010
I have just finished reading The Money-Less Man - it is a great read!

The book is interesting and very easy to read. It taught me several new things, reminded me of things I had forgotten and re-iterated things I already do myself. The book is set at the right pace and tone for anyone to pick up and is casual enough to read on holiday (if you so wish), but informative enough that your brain can explode with easily applicable ideas! I intend to go back through and pick out some of the skills shared and use the list of websites at the back.

I found the beginning of the book more informative, passionate and well structured than the end. As I am keen on all topics environmental I am not resistant to any of the ideas suggested so they could be phrased any way and I would consider them. However even my partner (fairly resistant and new to all of this) couldn't resist picking it up and was soon 30 pages in before remarking what a good book it is! I think it's an excellent book to share with others to introduce them to new ways of thinking and it is on the whole appropriate for everyone, I couldn't find anything offensive just thought provoking. :)

I found the book reassuring in it's discussions of how many people were prepared to help with so many different things, you really get a sense of there being lots of like minded people out there. The book also reveals Mark's personal journey of thinking and leads him to a point of being less preachy and more supportive of people who may be living in more consumerist ways. Although it is good to be supportive it's also good to be passionate and determined and not resolve that so long as everyone switches to energy savings bulbs that's good enough, because it's not good enough. Mark doesn't reach such a point but he comes close and could benefit from continuing to be clear about his passions as is highly represented at the beginning of the book.

Mark addresses many of the criticisms thrown at him during the year from readers, journalists, tv presenters, friends and communities with explanation and facts and accepts that he may have made errors along the way. Mark makes it very clear that he is not suggesting we live in a money-less society tomorrow, more that we use our current position (with or without money) to create a more sustainable way of living in the future. Money can have it's place in our current money driven society in making a difference, for example Mark's proposal to use the proceeds of this book to buy land for a freeconomic community, you can't buy land with anything else at the moment to my knowledge and I think Mark is right to keep one foot in a realist camp and suggest that we use our current money position to better the future.

I think a second book would be lovely to come out of this, not a 2nd year of money-less living, please, but perhaps a manual type book done in Mark's style (much as he explains rocket stoves and keeping clean without soap) with additions from his favourite mentors and friends (Fergus I'm looking at you here, and all the others he mentions) as a way of truly sharing skills in detail. I realise Mark's focus, and he is right, is on learning from doing, however a book is a good way for lots of people to begin and is a stepping stone to bigger things. This is not to negate all the brilliant books that are out there already. There's a lot of tips and tricks books and websites, but they don't always get down to the details of dirt, condensation, shoe making, the actual practical ongoing living skills rather than the 'turn your t-shirt into a bag' which certainly has it's place, and is very fun, but there's an abundance of less useful eco-information out there already.

I love Mark's statement "My experience has been that when you give freely, with no thought of what you'll get in return, you receive freely, without fail". This is the way I have strived to live more recently, Mark's book contains hundreds of examples of this working out, and in my experience so far it definitely works out well and makes you happier. On top of all these positives, any communication I have had with Mark he has responded to with kindness so he even seems like a great person!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't expect it to be so funny!, 24 Aug 2011
D Hamilton (Somewhere in the south west (UK)) - See all my reviews
This book isn't one of those dry uninteresting 'books with a message' full of self righteous prose, it's down to earth, really funny and a real page turner. As we follow Mark on his year long journey (one he is still on three years later!) we see how his simple choice, not to spend cash, leads him into all kinds of interesting situations and lines of thought. Our present government seem intent on turning us all into Moneyless men and a book like this can only improve our cash strapped lives, helping us see there is more to life than money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, eye opening, 30 Jun 2011
It's great to see the other side of the coin. This book shows us another path that we can ,if we wish, choose to venture down. The author is never forceful in his writing and is very modest and caring. He is neither opinionated (though he has opinions), nor speaks ill of others. The book is full of great information and resources we never knew existed. Furthermore, the book gave me hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Political activity for our futures, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Moneyless Man (Kindle Edition)
Inspirational. I think all schools should make this book compulsory to read as it's about getting back to basics with trust and friendship gains and teach people that they really do not need all the materialistic and brainwashing consumerism that's going on in the world.......it will make people stand up and think every time they go out and buy......it raised more awareness where I was concerned. Let's hope it's contagious!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a thought provoking read, 12 May 2011
Reading this book reminded me that most people lead a life based on the habits and aspirations of those around us: our family, friends, neighbours and work colleagues. Few people stop to question themselves as to whether this is the best course of action. To challenge the benefits of using money in a modern society is to shake the very foundation upon which most of humankind lives.
Amongst original thinkers, it is even rarer to find someone prepared to completely re-shape their lifestyle to adapt to an original philosophy. Mark Boyle is such a person. Having become convinced that the use of money is the root cause of excessive consumerism and that this is contributing to environmental degradation, human suffering and unsustainable lifestyles, he sets out to spend a year living in the UK without money. "The money-less man" is not just the account of successfully completing the challenge he set himself. It is an account of a journey of self discovery, of learning to give and accept instead of to buy and sell, and to tread lightly on the earth's fragile ecosystem. It is about taking time to enjoy doing simple things in life instead of constantly seeking faster ways of getting jobs done.
If you read this book, it is unlikely to motivate you to follow Mark Boyle's example of moneyless living. However it may make you realise that there are alternatives to the status quo. You might be inspired to grow some of your own food or collect wild food instead of buying it all in the supermarket, or to share your skills and possessions more freely with your friends and neighbours.

The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living
The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living by Mark Boyle (Paperback - 1 Feb 2011)