5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, yet brilliantly informative
I'm currently studying Physics for A-Level and the course covers a bit of simple quantum mechanics. Of course, quantum mechanics is something which fascinates almost everyone, and so I looked around for some books about the subject and came across this from a recommendation from my teacher. Admittedly, before reading the book I thought it would either be overly...
Published on 21 April 2011 by ebygum

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and enlightening book, lousy Kindle edition
The Kindle edition of this book follows the same tradition of many Kindle editions being little more than an afterthought by the publisher. Thankfully, it does not want to use its own font! Other than that, it has it all: inconsistent formatting, weird substitutions (the word 'left' has been replaced with 'indent' absolutely everywhere in the text: "If we start the...
Published on 8 Mar 2012 by Catalin D. Voinescu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 23 Feb 2014
Niven (35 spruceway, holytown, motherwell, ML1 4PB) - See all my reviews
Such a great read, as a university student studying chemistry I found this book particularly useful in breaking down some of the theory I had to get my head around in a much more manageable and easier to digest format.

For the scientifically minded and the not so scientifically minded this book is a fantastic read to get your brain thinking about bigger concepts. It would even be good as a topic starter for a group conversion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog (Paperback)
By far the most approachable book on Quantum Physics targeted at anyone new to the subject. I was a bit wary of the title however the book is excellent and the author's humour makes the book that much more approachable. I'd say it was pitched at AS level students but readable by almost anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a great book, 2 Feb 2014
Ricci (West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog (Paperback)
This is a great book, I have had to read and re-read it, it explores things which are too hard to think about in a simple way, I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 2 Jan 2014
A good read even for a non physicist, although some of the concepts were previously unfamiliar. As the wife of a physicist I have enjoyed being able to drop the odd comment on the subject into a conversation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Made My Dad Laugh - Not Sure What Our Dog Thinks Though?, 28 Dec 2013
suzysunshine7 (Stockport, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog (Paperback)
My Dad's a retired Superintendent Radiographer and was also a secondary school Physics teacher later in life and so this book made an ideal little Christmas gift for him. He had a stroke recently and so anything that holds his attention these days and makes him laugh is always a huge bonus to me. And although he is still only a few chapters in, he reckons that it is a very good as well as an 'accessible' read so far. And amazingly, it only cost me just 14p for a brand new sealed copy plus p&p too?!!

I am unfortunately very ignorant on such matters myself due to a very poor school education that required a lot of hard work to catch up on when at College - and, in all honesty, Physics and Chemistry were definitely NOT my favourite subjects! However, I may just sneak a little read of this book in the New Year, if only just see if I can understand, or maybe even learn something from it?

I'm not quite sure exactly what kind of impression it has left on our dog, Tia-Maria, though? - but still she did consent to sit quietly on my Dad's knee and listen (in what did appear to be a fascinated silence?) while he read some of the key points out to her? Our other dog, Mitzi-Ditzi, however was distinctly less interested and she chose to crawl under the sofa in search of any 'vintage' Bonio crumbs instead!!! ;o>

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 21 Sep 2013
I have several books on this subject and this falls into the top 3. However, if I'm being picky, the book is streamlined towards dogs in particular. I myself have a cat and he (it) I just looks daft at me when I start taking about super fluids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for dog owners and dog lovers, 10 Jan 2013
Ls Mcdougall (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog (Paperback)
This is a very entertaining book and my partner does read it. I am not sure how much success he has had teaching tricks to the dogs but that may be a reflection on the trainer rather than the dogs.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog (Paperback)
I can see why the style may not be to everyone's taste, but you should get an idea of the style by looking at the title! Personally I loved the style, and it never got to be grating or annoying - in fact, each chapter's introduction with a conversation with the author's dog really helped to relax the brain (after the concentration needed to understand the concepts of the previous chapter), whilst still keeping focussed on the topic at hand, as the conversations were relevant to the topic. I was also surprised at how using the real-world metaphors related to dogs (catching bunnies by going around both sides of a tree, tunnelling through a fence etc.) all really did help grasp the difficult concepts being presented.

I have a degree in physics, obtained many, many years ago, and read these sort of 'laymans' books to refresh my memory about the interesting parts of physics - it is all too easy to get bogged down in detail or maths. This book is one of the best I've read at re-igniting my interest, reminding me of things I had forgotten and even explaining some things in a much better way than I was ever taught.

You do need an interest in physics to enjoy the book. And you need a basic understanding too - it will be tough for someone without at least a GCSE in physics / science but if you are excited by the concepts of quantum physics, this book will do a great job of taking you through the journey of discovering it, or, as in my case, reminding you of why you studied physics in the first place. I'm too out of touch to know the current physics syllabus, but I'm guessing this book covers some A Level and early degree level concepts.

If you read the first chapter and are annoyed by the style, don't do any further. If you like it, read on...

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, 3 July 2012
I found this entertainint to read. The combination of dialoge with the dog asking good layman questions, humour and sections devoted to the reader alone is good. The section on people abusing quantum theory to mis-sell and trick people is insightful as I have relatives who really swallow the gobbledegook that can appear on the internet. My main criticism is the chapter covering entanglement perhaps focussed too much on the experiments and not enough on explaining the state of affairs with this. I had the kindle version and the diagrams were ok for me, contrary to other posts. I zipped through this book quite quickly, which means that I was indeed absorbed by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book! :), 8 Feb 2012
This review is from: How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog (Paperback)
I received this book yesterday and haven't been able to put it down since. An in-genius way of describing an insanely difficult theory. Very funny. Extremely well written. An amazing book! :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog
How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog by Chad Orzel (Paperback - 1 Oct 2010)
6.29