I am posting this review from a friend in South Africa at her request as I gave her this book as a gift and so she wasn't able to post a review on Amazon herself.

Published on 13 Aug 2009 by Lisa Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars O.k
I found this book quite interesting but having read many books on this subject I didn't really learn anything new.
Published 17 months ago by twitchy

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable for anyone with bipolar disorder - and their carers, 13 Aug 2009
Lisa Jackson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide (Paperback)

My daughter is 22 years old and has bipolar disorder. I live in South Africa and having read this book, it is as if a light has come on for me. For years I have been trying to manage my daughter's illness in the dark but I can now see how she has had bipolar disorder all along. She had seen psychologists since the age of nine and was eventually, at the age of 15, diagnosed with severe depression. She kept taking herself off the medication and then a different psychologist would put her on it again. But she was often so happy and outgoing that no one believed that she was depressed. Then at the age of 19 she was tested for bipolar disorder and it was immediately confirmed. The medication made a big difference and she was once again able to cope with life. However, I did not have any tools to help her in other ways. I assumed that the medication on its own would sort her out. Only since reading the book do I understand what the implications are for the carer. I have made BIG mistakes and can see, in hindsight, how they contributed to her mania and depression. I can also see how many of her childhood idiosyncrasies were actually symptoms of bipolar disorder. I am so glad that children can now be diagnosed earlier - even if they are not put onto medication - so that their environment can become "bipolar friendly". I would have done so many things differently, had I known earlier. The other issue the book highlighted very strongly was that the illness is hereditary. I will make sure that my son and my brother read the book, as their children or grandchildren may have this illness. What I have also changed, is not saying that my daughter is bipolar, but that she has bipolar disorder.
The last chapter of the book, mentioning all the famous people who have been diagnosed with the illness, or are thought to have had the illness, makes it so much more "ok" to have the illness oneself. The in-depth information about sectioning is also most illuminating as it reveals how severe this illness really is. Here in South Africa there are still so very many people that think that one can just "pull oneself together". I have finally found a sense of peace and can share that with my daughter and the rest of my family. I have recommended this book to everyone who has bipolar disorder or who knows someone with the illness. Thank you, Sarah and Amanda, for your excellent research and for taking the trouble to write this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read and an invaluable resource, 6 Oct 2008
G. Williams - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide (Paperback)
I bought this book because a close friend had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and I was very worried when I first saw her in the middle of a psychotic episode and knew I had to find out more. Most other books I'd browsed through on the subject looked fairly inaccessible but the Q and A format of this book means you can read as little or as much as you want, on the topics you're particularly interested in. I also think the fact that both of the authors have personal experience of this condition (three close family members have been diagnosed with it) makes it different from other books - they've both obviously gone through so much and really understand and care about the condition from an insider's point of view. This book is far more than a dry textbook, it shares the personal experiences of both the authors and dozens of people with the condition, often in a wonderfully humorous way. I cried when I read some of the accounts, but also felt lots of hope when I read how many people (such as Stephen Fry) go on to lead very successful, happy lives. I now feel so much better placed to help, support and encourage my friend. Buy this book - it's a good read and an invaluable resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 9 Oct 2009
This review is from: Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book! I bought Bipolar for Dummies when I was first diagnosed and it is a great book but this book is really is the bees knees.

I love the way that each chapter has informative and proven medical facts (hey some books have a lot of maybe's and if's in them) said in such a way that those of us without a medical degree can understand them and a chery on top is added by real people who either suffer from bipolar or love someone with bipolar, because it's all very well and good experts giving their facts and opinions but nothing beats words of wisdom from those who have personally 'lived' with it.

I love the quirky style of it too! The bit that quotes Mr Stephen Fry and others about bipolar being technically wrong as it's not just two but is can be three or more and sometimes it can be more like a cork screw of mood esp. when a person is experiencing a mixed state.

I highly recommend this book and this alone or this and the 'Bipolar for Dummies' book will be enough to give you all the information you need (quite cheaply too - no need for great big hulking medical journals) for yourself or for someone who loves and cares for someone who is bipolar plus if your forearmed with knowledge then I think it's easier / less daunting as you know what's what.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply, an indispensable book, 19 Aug 2009
This review is from: Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide (Paperback)
I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder following a breakdown triggered by the sudden death of my brother six years ago. It wasn't long before my medical history caught up with me and I was sacked from my job by my somewhat unsympathetic employers. The stigma and discrimination sufferers face can be one of the most challenging aspects of the illness, which is why Biplolar disorder - the ultimate guide is such a breath of fresh air. Written by two cousins who draw upon their own family history of the condition, the book tackles the prejudice and ignorance surrounding the illness head-on. With their calm and clear approach, Sarah Owen and Amanda Saunders have created an indispensable survival guide for sufferers and carers alike. The question-and-answer format allows the user to access relevant information with ease, while quotes from real-life sufferers provide a unique insight into the disorder. For me, the most helpful sections include crisis management - or what to do in an emergency - and advice on the best lifestyle choices to make in order to stay well.
Luckily, I have been well, and medication-free, for the past two years but I feel so much happier knowing I have this excellent guide to hand if I become unwell again. Many thanks for such a wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bi-Polar, 20 Feb 2010
This review is from: Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide (Paperback)
My Partners mother has had Bi-Polar for as long as i can remember. This illness has a terrible effect on her and the rest of the family. I asked her recently what she knew about Bi-Polar and she said nothing. So i came on here and ordered this book and another book for her children. I have to say this book is fantastic, it is easy to read and the layout is appealing especially as it has quotes from people with bi-polar and their experiences. I could relate so much in the book to my Mother-in-law and have been able to help her son understand the condition with some of the things i have read. I am about to order another book for my partners Sister and hope the book will be of great benefit to his mother when she comes out of the depressed cycle that she is in at the moment and is able to read the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bipolar The Ultimate guide, 5 Oct 2009
This review is from: Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide (Paperback)
Written well and researched excellently.
I found this book very useful and helpful as I have suffered from Bipolar for 22 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 July 2009
This review is from: Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide (Paperback)
My son has recently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and I wanted to learn everything that I could about it. This book has assisted me greatly and I now have a better understanding. I can highly recommend this book. It is an excellent read

5.0 out of 5 stars A brillient read, 19 Nov 2008
Mrs. Helen Dennis "Helen" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide (Paperback)
This book is a great read. The layout enables you to dip in and find exactly what you want very quickly. It's clever writing style makes in easy to understand without getting bogged down with medical jargon. This is definately to one to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best guide I've come across!, 29 Dec 2009
C-M ROSE "Curious Chay" (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide (Paperback)
This book is easy to read, well laid out and has a contents where you can just glance down for the subject you want and easily find it.

When reading the different sections, the feeling is that it was written 'just for you'.

It's easy to understand as it's been written with self-explanatory language.

It's also interesting, and keeps your interest.

You can turn to any page, it doesn't have to be read in a specific order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on a difficult subject, 10 Oct 2010
This review is from: Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide (Paperback)
I really bought this book for a bi-polar friend of mine. She read it straight away and said she could hardly put it down - it was a great help to her. She wants me to read it now as the book is all about both suffers, and those who care for them.

Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide
Bipolar Disorder - The Ultimate Guide by Amanda Saunders (Paperback - 1 July 2008)