5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all those involved in schools
Published on 9 Nov 2008 by Stephen Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars It took me a while but...
Published on 28 Jun 2010 by HB

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all those involved in schools, 9 Nov 2008
Stephen Jones (Exeter UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's the Point of School?: Rediscovering the Heart of Education (Paperback)
This book was the basis of one of our best ever INSET sessions. The book not only sets out what has long been wrong in the way we learn in our schools but gives a clear outline what all of us in schools can do about it. It does not matter if you are the Head or a classroom teacher. The book will inspire and make you think about what you are doing and reflect how you are teaching.
This is the best book on learning that I have read for many years and I recommend it to all those who want to rethink the way they work. It is a book free of jargon and full of thoughtful and thought provoking ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book to kickstart a national debate?, 19 Dec 2008
D. J. Price (UK) - See all my reviews
Everyone has an opinion about education. But, for years it seems, as a nation, we've been arguing about standards, structures, performance tables - the debate is about instruments, (how we can 'reform' schools) and it's about increments (how much we can change). Guy Claxton has dared to question the whole purpose of compulsory schooling, and in a way which is not only authoritative (he undoubtedly knows his stuff) but also humane (not surprising for anyone who has heard him speak, or shares his philosophical and spiritual interests). We need this fundamental debate now, as more kids find their learning outside school, and this is a brilliant summation of the issues which - because of its accessibility -could finally bring into the discussion the people who've been largely excluded: parents.
If you care about how we make schools the kind of places our kids actually want to be in, buy this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars It took me a while but..., 28 Jun 2010
I hated this book at first due to its highly negative and critical viewpoint against schooling and the education system. The book gives very little view of school in a positive light and any related benefits of education so was starting to feel rather disgruntled and depressed by the biased views in the book. However, once I was into Chapter 3 I began to appreciate the opinions and realised that although some of the statistics in the book are manipulated, it is useful material for my MEd in terms of education today and being able to look at it critically. Not the most cheery of reads but useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging the thirst for learning amongst pupils in your school, 16 May 2014
Great read for school leaders - lots of food for thought if you are looking at tackling pupil passion for learning

4.0 out of 5 stars Factual and up to date, 17 Feb 2014
A friend of mine had this book originally and having used it before for my assignments it was a must buy. Informative, clear and easy to read. Chapters are well summarised. Worth a buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great., 24 Feb 2012
Helena Vukoja - See all my reviews
This book covers many areas and really makes you think about our current school system and why it doesn't work. I would recommend this to anyone that works with children and young people, it explains how troubled they are and why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 1 May 2009
This is required reading for anybody working in education today . Our young people are being let down by the current limited curriculum on offer and lack of support in making them robust and resilient adults of the future . This books supports the thinking that we need to alter our approach and question excatly what children are learning in school. We need to examine the difference between teaching and learning. This is a very thought provoking text. What's the Point of School?: Rediscovering the Heart of Education

5.0 out of 5 stars What's the point of school?, 20 Mar 2011
Having run the gauntlet of teaching in response to initiative and inspections, for some years now, I thought I was the only teacher left willing to say, 'What's in it for the children?' How very wrong I was. This book shows that learning is a skill to be developed and is very candid in its explanations. It is well written , easy to follow and I found myself nodding and agreeing with many of its arguments. Professor Claxton's ability to identify the cycle of repetitious bad judgment from successive governments is to be applauded. A book which needs to be read by ALL school leaders,teachers, LEA decision makers and government policy designers. An essential read for ALL parents. Well done , Professor Claxton , learning is fun , learning is power - building learning power - brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas, 6 Jan 2011
C. L. Dixon (England) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book, particularly as I'm planning to go into teaching. Claxton has great ideas that I agree with, i.e. that the purpose of school should be to prepare pupils for the real world, and more succicintly, to train them to think/learn. Although I completely agree with this latter point, I found that it was heavily repeated without enough concrete examples as to how it would actually play out in the classroom. I felt that the book was a little bit too long considering what Claxton was essentially trying to say, which could be summed up in a page or two really.
Still, it opened my eyes to some current issues in the field of education, and will definitely help in interviews!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for anyone with an opinion about school (and who can say that they don't?), 18 Oct 2009
Eirin Mikalsen Orum "avid reader" (Trondheim, Norway) - See all my reviews
This book is amazing, and the most amazing thing about it is that these ideas are not found all over the place! It seems so strange to me, now, that more than 99% of the people around me never EVER questions our educational systems. Sure, a lot of people complain about the quality, but so few seem to come even close to even wonder why we force all children born within the same year to learn exactly the same things at exactly the same time for years and years and years... Read it, then read it again, then lend it to a friend (you might have to be prepared to buy another, though... ;))

What's the Point of School?: Rediscovering the Heart of Education