Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 April 2006
I have several books on Rumi that I have bought over the years, and originally I got this for a friend. I liked it so much I bought a copy for myself, and it is definitely my favourite collection of Rumi's poetry.

Not only is the translation by far the best I have come across so far (and it is now the standard by which I judge all the rest) but the selection is very thoughtful and the categories so useful for both reading through and dipping into that I find my other Rumi books oddly disatisfying or even irritating.

By far the MOST irritating is the Coleman Barks edition, which, even with the rather grandiose adjective "Essential" in the title, comes across as a highly dubious and unconvincing "translation". In fact, some parts sound so completely made up by the translator, you get the impression you are reading 20th century Coleman Barks, not Rumi at all. Instead of reading some of the greatest gems of Sufi thought, you find yourself transposed to a strange American alternate universe.

But I suspect it is also personal taste. For me, this spiritual treasury really does live up to its title - spiritually uplifting and a joy to read.
11 comment|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2005
I had bought a book of Rumi poetry from a bookshop and looked for another one browsing Amazon. This one caught my eye - it's got such a lovely cover - but when it arived I was even more impressed with the inside of the book. The introduction gives a very good overview of Rumi and his work, but then his words are left to speak for themselves. They are collected up under different headings, which I found very helpful and easy to follow, and it's a book I dip into again and again. I've just bought a second copy for a friend, and he loves it. Definitely one of the best Rumi collections around.
on 3 August 2005
This book is brilliant, its a small collection of some brilliant writings of Rumi.
[...]
I love the way is which he is able to convey some deep messages with regards to spirirulity etc in such a few words. I am constantly referring to this book as a treasure of his works. Family and friends that have seen this book have the same opinion as me.
on 7 December 2006
Yes, he's good, very knowing. This 13th century Persian mystic has a nice, artful way with words and metaphors and, along with his 13th century German contemporary, Meister Eckhart, Rumi demonstrates beautifully with his rich, penetrating poetic style (not poems as such) that the divine Presence is WITHIN you and waiting to be discovered. This timeless insight - so horrendously concealed by the literalism of institutional religion - shines out on virtually every page. A few segments are perhaps too vague and prosaic, but overall this little books sits well alongside any of the mystical classics.
on 24 November 2011
Nothing wrong with this book, only just that I hadn't realised that the verse would be purely focused on spiritual subjects. I had assumed that it would have a range of subject matter (nature, love, spirituality, etc.), and I would be able to read those typically quoted Rumi insights about all aspects of life. This book doesn't do that at all. It really is 'A Spiritual Treasury' and it is completely about specifically spiritual matters.
on 12 December 2014
I had expected something more substantial (in a number of ways) from my purchase. Perhaps those familiar with Rumi will be content with the brief textual 'reminders' in this booklet of his original intent and that, for me, describes most of the content of this booklet. The book seems to consist of snippets of Rumi's wisdom with little or no explanation or context. I will go back to the original texts (in English, unfortunately I have no knowledge of the original language). I believe Penguin have such a book in English available. Maybe then once I have a modicum of understanding of Rumi's wisdom I can use this book as a 'reminder'. Sufi knowledge and spiritual understanding/revelation of how to be a human being seems to me to explain best (and how we must experience directly) the way we relate to our universe and ultimately God. Unfortunately for me this booklet isn't going to help much, yet.
on 3 August 2005
[...]
on 26 January 2015
Maybe it's a good start for knowing Rumi's thoughts (though I doubt it), but definitely not the art of his poetry. I feel frustrated with the short lines abruptly taken out from context in order to demonstrate some sort of theme catagorised with the author's limited vision. Only after reading the last page did I realise the compiler doesn't do Persian literature but seems to specialise in quirky spiritual teaching. Have to get other books for a better idea of Rumi.
on 19 July 2013
when you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy" rumi. what more can be said .thank you
on 25 January 2015
This is my 3rd Rumi book and it is quite a good selection laid out in different sections and as such it is easy to read a few pages a day. Prospective buyers will not need to be told the subject matter of Rumi's poetry so I will confine myself to saying this is a worthwhile collection or even a good starting point for someone just getting into Rumi. Not his deepest work but still worth reading.