5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, and a great introduction to Rumi's thought
I have several books on Rumi that I have bought over the years, and originally I got this for a friend. I liked it so much I bought a copy for myself, and it is definitely my favourite collection of Rumi's poetry.

Published on 22 April 2006 by Jennifer Heller

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd chosen a different Rumi book
Published on 24 Nov 2011 by lilapple

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, and a great introduction to Rumi's thought, 22 April 2006

Not only is the translation by far the best I have come across so far (and it is now the standard by which I judge all the rest) but the selection is very thoughtful and the categories so useful for both reading through and dipping into that I find my other Rumi books oddly disatisfying or even irritating.

By far the MOST irritating is the Coleman Barks edition, which, even with the rather grandiose adjective "Essential" in the title, comes across as a highly dubious and unconvincing "translation". In fact, some parts sound so completely made up by the translator, you get the impression you are reading 20th century Coleman Barks, not Rumi at all. Instead of reading some of the greatest gems of Sufi thought, you find yourself transposed to a strange American alternate universe.

But I suspect it is also personal taste. For me, this spiritual treasury really does live up to its title - spiritually uplifting and a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful insights into Rumi, 15 Mar 2005
I had bought a book of Rumi poetry from a bookshop and looked for another one browsing Amazon. This one caught my eye - it's got such a lovely cover - but when it arived I was even more impressed with the inside of the book. The introduction gives a very good overview of Rumi and his work, but then his words are left to speak for themselves. They are collected up under different headings, which I found very helpful and easy to follow, and it's a book I dip into again and again. I've just bought a second copy for a friend, and he loves it. Definitely one of the best Rumi collections around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rumi - a great conveyer, 3 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This book is brilliant, its a small collection of some brilliant writings of Rumi.
[...]
I love the way is which he is able to convey some deep messages with regards to spirirulity etc in such a few words. I am constantly referring to this book as a treasure of his works. Family and friends that have seen this book have the same opinion as me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Persian mystic ranks with the best, 7 Dec 2006
Marc John - See all my reviews
Yes, he's good, very knowing. This 13th century Persian mystic has a nice, artful way with words and metaphors and, along with his 13th century German contemporary, Meister Eckhart, Rumi demonstrates beautifully with his rich, penetrating poetic style (not poems as such) that the divine Presence is WITHIN you and waiting to be discovered. This timeless insight - so horrendously concealed by the literalism of institutional religion - shines out on virtually every page. A few segments are perhaps too vague and prosaic, but overall this little books sits well alongside any of the mystical classics.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd chosen a different Rumi book, 24 Nov 2011
This review is from: Rumi: A Spiritual Treasury (Paperback)
Nothing wrong with this book, only just that I hadn't realised that the verse would be purely focused on spiritual subjects. I had assumed that it would have a range of subject matter (nature, love, spirituality, etc.), and I would be able to read those typically quoted Rumi insights about all aspects of life. This book doesn't do that at all. It really is 'A Spiritual Treasury' and it is completely about specifically spiritual matters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rumi - a great conveyer, 3 Aug 2005
By A Customer
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Rumi: A Spiritual Treasury (Paperback)
when you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy" rumi. what more can be said .thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Rumi: A Spiritual Treasury (Paperback)
great. The poetry is certainly moving. I really liked it. Great to meditate on . A really good pick me up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Rumi: A Spiritual Treasury (Paperback)
Rumi a great poet of the past. Much loved reading this handy pocket book.

Rumi: A Spiritual Treasury
Rumi: A Spiritual Treasury by Jalal al-Din Rumi (Paperback - 28 Feb 2008)