5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into the Warsaw Ghetto
Published on 6 Nov 2006 by Deborah Snelling

2.0 out of 5 stars Privileged Girl.
Published 11 months ago by MrsDollyD

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into the Warsaw Ghetto, 6 Nov 2006
Deborah Snelling (Galashiels, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary of Mary Berg: Growing Up in the Warsaw Ghetto (Hardcover)
I heard this book recommended on the radio by Ottakers bookshops as their top pick for the Autumn. I was immediately curious and went out and bought it. I completely agree with them. Apart from the fact that it is a beautiful book (I've now bought an extra copy for my aunt for xmas) it is wonderfully written. It is a very honest and unselfconscious (and unself-pitying) memoir of living in the ghetto by a teenage girl, from the invasion of Poland to 1944. It drew me in from the first page, and I read it straight through.

One of the things I really appreciated is that it is a very warts and all account - talking about the terrible suffering and desperate (and impressive) efforts of the community to alleviate it, as well as the contrast with life of the better off ghetto residents, and against this ghastly backdrop of fear and daily struggle you see the day-to-day life of a young girl coming to adulthood. While I knew the general story of the Ghetto, this drew you into it, giving a three-dimensional idea of what it really felt like to live through it. A lot of eye-witness accounts were written years later, but this one was written at the time, which gives it incredible power. An amazing book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a 15 year old, 21 Dec 2013
Interesting insight by a very educated 15 year old girl who lived in the Warsaw ghetto until 1942, when her family escaped to America. The book was only published in America initially and took until 2006 to be released worldwide. There are the odd drawing and photo intersepersed within the pages and although written as diary entries, these are also split into chapters. Illuminating but I found it a little too intense.

2.0 out of 5 stars Privileged Girl., 6 Aug 2013
I am only a half way through this book (Mary is in the ghetto) and I have given up reading any more of this tedious book. Unlike other holocaust books that I have read this one has the storyteller ie Mary in a privileged position which means she does not suffer any where near as much as other unfortunates in the war/ghetto. I found I did not like the person Mary was at all, when confronted by a hungry child in a hospital she states that she had eaten that day but didn't
know where to look when the child said she was hungry...she could have gone home and brought food back to the child but did not even think of this. I would not have been able to sleep until i'd fed the child. Anyway I don't recommend this book at all.

The Diary of Mary Berg: Growing Up in the Warsaw Ghetto
The Diary of Mary Berg: Growing Up in the Warsaw Ghetto by Mary Berg (Hardcover - 26 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01