5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple but thorough in his explanations!
Published on 17 Aug 2009 by Olawale B. Rominiyi

2.0 out of 5 stars | Disappointing >
Published on 25 Sep 2011 by Jean-Luc

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple but thorough in his explanations!, 17 Aug 2009
This review is from: Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
Having always had an interest in Physics since my A-level days, I thought I'd go for broke and brush up on my knowledge of Quantum Physics. Alastair Rae's book was really great for easing me back into the subject matter, since I hadn't looked at a physics book for over 7 years prior. His explanations aare simple yet thorough. Some did however test my memory, recalling those glory days of my college A-level lectures. I great one to recommend for anyone who's interested in the topic.

2.0 out of 5 stars | Disappointing >, 25 Sep 2011
This review is from: Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
Granted, this is a particularly difficult subject for anyone who does not sleep with it; and the task to make it accessible to others is very challenging. What I was looking for was an introduction book, before going into more serious reading. I have tried real quantum physics books before, and I must say that in spite of my years of education in sciences including physics, I got lost in a few pages. So this book gave me great hopes!

But I was quite disappointed. Leaving aside the errors (quite a few, from typos to others picked in other reviews - all this gives an impression of lack of attention, and journalistic urge to publish something), I was still left hungry for an explanation of things and introduction to the approach that I could grasp. I did not find that. May be it's me ?

Three chapters are quite helpful: Nb 1, Nb 2, and Nb 8. The bulk in the middle seems to want to prove that everything is due to quantum physics, and that without quantum physics humanity would have been left without fire.

Well, I did not give up and bought Chad Orzel's book, which in my opinion is a better choice for the purpose I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent refresher!, 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
I graduated in Physics some 50 years ago when this topic was little (if at all) studied at undergraduate level. This book is just the right level for me - far from patronisingly simple but very understandable. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An introduction to Quantum Physics and its applications, 11 Nov 2009
Matthew Culley (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
Alastair Rae's book provides an introduction to quantum physics and a number of its applications in the world. The first chapter contains an introduction to basic physical properties, including an introduction to the atom. This will be familiar to most people with a basic science education. Chapter two discusses waves and particles and is reasonably detailed. I would recommend that you have a pencil and some paper ready to sketch out some concepts and to go through the maths. As the material presents a conceptual introduction to quantum mechanics, the maths is confined to boxes separate from the main text, to be indulged in at the readers's discretion. The book goes on to describe the role of quantum mechanics in energy generation. Included in this section is a quantum mechanical description of why carbon dioxide acts as a 'greenhouse gas'. I found the section on electrical properties, and the explanations on how electrical conductance / resistance arises. These is a helpful section on how semi-conductors work.

The important property of superconductivity has a dedicated chapter. I would have perhaps liked this to lead into a discussion of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), as this is an application of quantum physics that many will have encountered but few understand. There is a discussion of the role of quantum mechanics in information processing, including cryptography and quantum computers. I did get the impression the Professor Rae is somewhat sceptical of the practicalities of constructing a quantum computer - indeed there are a significant number of difficulties that will need to be overcome before they become a reality so to speak.

The final chapter discusses some of the problems that are associated with quantum mechanics. The most widely supported Copenhagen Interpretation is discussed, and the main alternative interpretations (Subjectivism, Hidden Variables, Many Worlds) are mentioned. This is perhaps the weakest part of an otherwise great book: this chapter could have been significantly extended. However, there are necessary limits in a work of this kind.

Overall, I would recommend this book as an introduction to quantum mechanics for those who are interested in this vital and exciting area of research. I suggest that you have a notebook and pencil on your bedside table as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars How quantum devices work., 2 Feb 2008
M. Woodman "hikeandbikemike" (Exeter, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
"Beginners Guide" is about the relevance of quantum physics to everyday technology: semiconductors and transistors; energy sources and greenhouse gases; some not-so-everyday phenomena like superconductivity and SQUIDS; even the cutting edge stuff of quantum computing and quantum encryption. All are explained in terms of a few precisely stated properties of matter at the atomic scale or smaller. The weirdness of wave-particle duality and indeterminacy become accessible with minimal recourse to mathematics.

In successive chapters an insight is given into how materials acquire their large-scale chemical, physical and electrical properties by reason of what is going on at the level of electron, photon or atom. The way these particles are able to act with a concerted weirdness then seems just as reasonable as their bizarre individual behaviour.

The maths would be even easier to follow if more care had been taken with proofreading. Errors are confined mostly to the panels of mathematical details (where parameters annoyingly come and go like quantum particles) but there are also some in the main text (see posted comments).

Historical background is sketchy. We read: "James Clerk Maxwell . . . around 1860 showed the aether postulate was unnecessary". Arguably, it was he who started this entire goose chase; Michelson and Morley were still on the trail in 1887 and famously drew a blank; a kludge was proposed in 1892 by Lorentz; Einstein cleared things up a bit in 1905 - but the hunt ran and ran.

A brief analysis of how quantum indeterminacy might actually come about is presented in a well-argued short chapter at the end. If this stimulates further interest, then get the excellent companion volume Quantum Physics - Illusion or Reality. Both books are rewarding reads.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best place to start, 30 Jan 2009
Richard Lockyer (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
If like me you are new to this subject this is a great book to start off with. What can be a very complicated subject is made easy by the relaxed easy to understand writing style of Alistair Rae.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good at quanta - bad at electronics, 20 Dec 2010
D. J. Walter (Hereford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
I liked this book, but in my opinion it is marred by many typos and alas much of the electronics is just wrong. One voltage amplifier shown is actually an emmitter follower which does amplify the input voltage. The silicon chip photo is not a microprocesser. I doubt the logic gate was ever used, and bipolar transistors are not used for logic any more. I emailed the publishers to try and contact the author but got no reply.

It's a shame.

Added later: The electronics has no real bearing on the excellent physics he beautifully and succinctly potrays - I don't know why he bothered. If there is a new edition, he might like to get input from an colleague in electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Quantum Physics, 31 Aug 2009
Mr. N. Speight (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
This book is a brilliant read for the beginner the writter gets his points across by refering to other things that everyone understands.
Like the ocean and waves I'm only 19 and found this book very interesting. Amazon delivered it really quick as well as in perfect condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with purchase, 11 Dec 2010
This review is from: Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
I bought this book because i wanted a general understanding of the subject. And this book gave me that.
I must admit it can get a little heavy going in parts, but it is quantum physics afterall, so to be expected really. If you have no previous knowledge like me, then one read is enough to give you a general understanding, without having to take too much notice of the optional maths boxes in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Book, 17 Jan 2010
This review is from: Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
I really liked reading the book, as it provides a deep insight in simple language, while not missing out on the depth of it, about Quantum Physics.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide
Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide by Alastair I.M. Rae (Paperback - 27 Oct 2005)
8.94