5.0 out of 5 stars A laugh a minute
Published on 27 Mar 2006 by Mr. IR Langmaid

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed
Not one of the best football books. Struggling to get through it. Only bought cos Rodney was on the front cover
Published 7 months ago by jeremy connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars A laugh a minute, 27 Mar 2006
Mr. IR Langmaid "Langerdinho" (Lincoln United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mavericks: English Football When Flair Wore Flares (Paperback)
I got this book out of the country library here in Lincoln and when I first scanned read I thought I would enjoy this and I was proved right. It was very funny with various antics of the footballing mavericks especially in one incident the legendary Tony Currie a man who should have had more then 17 caps and is now running youth development for his beloved Blades. Once took the ball with his back to goal. flicked up into the air when the first tackle came back tackler ended up on his back. Currie takes the ball back down on his foot and starts blowing kisses to the crowd. Then another tackler comes diving in Currie drags back second tackler also ends up on his arse Currie blows more kisses to the Bramall Lane faithfu
The cheeky swine! But that was the pure brilliance and arrogance and the author loves his mavericks and he does feel rightly agreived about the fact no England manager had the courage to play Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh, Currie and Peter Osgood!. Just 3 or 4 games. We would have won the world cup if we had these mavericks playing!!.
The author is hysterial and laid back in his style of writing which makes it a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly encapsulates an era, 16 Dec 2008
Primarily a loving tribute to a bygone age of English football, this marvellous book also evocatively brings to life the music, movies,and fashions of the 1970s. It also reminds those of us who were teenagers at the time that we never had it so good. Rob Steen loves his subject and loves the era. He celebrates the talents of Osgood, Hudson, Worthington etc but laments the fact that the people who ran the English game deemed their skills unworthy of building an England team around. And I write this as a Scot! A brilliant read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why England Fail, 5 July 2010
We may still fluke it through to the final of the 2010 world cup, after all, get to the knock out stage and its a 4 game version of the FA cup and if Sunderland can win the FA cup back in the 70's then one year somebody is going to fluke the world cup. If that happens with England then I may look a little stupid, but be under no illusion, an England victory would be a fluke. A defeat however will no doubt bring out the simple solution mongers having a day off from duties as team members for Racing for Change. Sack the manager, change the board games in the hotel or maybe the ball was not regulation type. The truth is that we are technically inferior to too many other national sides and always have been. These days the illusion that we are perhaps up there with the Brazils of the world is intensified by our strong league, strengthened of course by overseas players. Lets ban or restrict them I hear you say, well this did not help in the 70's and 80's. No the real problem is we do not know how to teach soccer. It's not quite as bad as the 70's and 80's when I played and any player threading a 15yd pass and looking for a return at the edge of the box was told by nationally recognised coaches to stop fannying around. Indeed who can forget Jack Charlton's immortal words when watching a group of Argentinians youngsters put on a ball juggling demo at half time in the Argentinian world cup of the 70's. Things are no better today, as I have witnessed myself through my young son who was being coached by a county level coach. Youngsters are still groomed at the age of 7 to play in 11 a side games and by this raw age are labelled as centre half's or full backs. An 11 a side game is one in which the individual players will get a fraction of a touch of the ball as they would in a small sided game and yet we continue to think that grooming for 11 a side is best done through 11 a side matches. We have also always historically been suspicious of skilful players, labelling them as lazy and preferring the do or die of the less skilled but more industrious types. How can the likes of Tony Currie only manage 19 caps, why did Alan Hudson, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh and the like struggle to gain places. Even Glen Hoddle was regularly questioned as an England player. In the summer and a world tournament it is these players playing on the bowling green like pitches that give us the best chance of securing a world cup, sadly we just don't groom enough of them.
If we are to win a world cup we need to change our whole pre 16 coaching system, failing that the only alternative is to secure the Championships here in England, resurrect Derby's baseball ground and play all England's matches on it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 10 Feb 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Mavericks, 4 Mar 2013
Memory seems to suggest there were more Mavericks in the past, can that really be true. this is a good read. The sort you might do on the train as you can get through a chapter between Bushey and Harrow and Wealdstone. perfect commuting fodder.

The Mavericks: English Football When Flair Wore Flares
The Mavericks: English Football When Flair Wore Flares by Rob Steen (Paperback - 15 Sep 1995)
Used & New from: £0.01