5.0 out of 5 stars Every girl should have one
An essential for `girls' of all ages - lovely photographs and layout, bags of practical guidance: how to tip your hairdresser, when to remove your hat at weddings, what to do with an oyster.... and other dodgy date dilemmas. All in an entertaining and unstuffy style which makes it unputdownable both for girls and `boys'
Published on 8 Oct 2006 by ER

3.0 out of 5 stars A beginner's guide but nothing more
Published on 13 Jun 2010 by Dame_Studie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A beginner's guide but nothing more, 13 Jun 2010
Before buying this book I had read other reviews listed here and, in spite of some mixed reactions, I went ahead and bought it, convinced that Debrett's was surely going to provide me with the best guide on the market. This book is nicely presented and serves as a great introduction for those who don't want to be overwhelmed with information or the nitty-gritty details of etiquette. It covers the major issues and situations in which the fine details of "proper" etiquette may occur, such as dress codes, dining and place settings, behaviour in social situations (i.e. in restaurants, travel, etc), and thus serves as a nice (and crucially, not intimiditaing) introduction for those who want to find out more about the particulars of social graces and behaviour. Nonetheless, if you are looking for a detailed and rigorous discussion of the facts and particulars about social etiquette this book fails to deliver. It really does serve as a beginner's guide only - if you are an individual already interested in etiquette and looking to perfect your skills with those finer details of etiquette(the ones that, unfortunately, are the most important) then this is not the book for you. All in all, this'll look nice on my book shelf but unfortunately, won't be one I'll need to look at again and again - a bit too basic for what I was after.

3.0 out of 5 stars All a bit obvious really., 29 Oct 2007
Lolly (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
I bought this book hoping for something quite in depth that would give me advice on conduct in different social situations. However I really didn't feel like it delivered. All of it's suggestions were obvious and I learnt very little from it. I wouldn't recommend anyone who had been brought up knowing how to hold a knife and fork to buy this book. It is nicely presented but really of little substance.

3.0 out of 5 stars The girls guide, 1 Nov 2008
avid british reader (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I really wish this was as good as the gentlemans guide which is really marvellous- The detail is a little lacking by comparison and not nearly as compelling-like many other readers I agree there wasnt too much detail here and perhaps not a great deal of new material.Perhaps it would suit a younger reader as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every girl should have one, 8 Oct 2006
ER (Kenilworth, U.K.) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars not too bad, 14 Sep 2009
Nice pictures, but not exactly what i was looking for. I needed more technical advice and drowings, regarding dressing the table, which glass with what meal etc. Some good tips are there though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, 12 Jun 2013
I have to say I agree with many of the reviewers in that this book lacks any great substance. I feel it is full of very obvious things and lacks any great detail on topics. As its title suggests perhaps this is better suited for girls rather than grownups. I too wish this had been more like the gentlemen's guide and feel compared with the gentlemen's version that this is full of worthless photographs and I would have preferred a similar style particularly the view of the lady which might have been a nice idea reversed. Overall your book shelf will not be any the less from missing out on this book, which is a great shame as it could have been so much more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ladies, are you listening?, 14 May 2013
This book was bought as a present for my sixteen year old daughter. Do take some of the advice with a pinch of salt, though. More fun than factual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Etiquette for today's 'girl about town', 22 Mar 2011
This is an excellent book; very well written and laid out offering great insights and a perfect introduction to manners in today's society. It is my bedside read at the moment and a manual I can refer to in moments of doubt. The only point of query is the 'the girls' part of the title, which at first suggested it might have been aimed at a 'debutante' rather than your 'every woman' about town type, which is why I hesitated for a bit before giving it a go. It is highly informative and enjoyable and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

2.0 out of 5 stars I agree with what other people said, 10 Nov 2010
This book is al right but most of the time says how you should behave in society like a good citizen. So, this book is also for men. You can find little technical things but no diagrams, no technical stuff. It annoys me sometimes the usage of poetry to convey the message...just be straight... VERY DISAPPOINTING. I'm glad I bought this on sale....

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a very cool message for girls, 17 Nov 2006
Nice and all as this book may sound, I was a bit upset when my twenty six years old daughter asked me if I'd ever had an affair on her father and (would you believe it) gotten away with it? She was afraid that because this book gives advice on infidelity that it's the norm. The book says When cheating on a husband/partner, be sure to cover your tracks. Destroy receipts you cannot explain away, delete incriminating text messages as soon as they're received, and be wary of e-mail.

I was also very upset at the section on telling lies where Rule number one is to watch your back. If you're overheard bad-mouthing someone, and are sure that umbrage was taken, apologise at once. If you're too spineless to do it in person, e-mail.

My daughter is so lovely yet very smart and after a good sit down and a chat with me about these subjects, she and her friends now agree that this book is really irresponsible and uncool. Every woman should realise that having affairs and telling lies just hurts people afterall it's someone's father or husband you're messing with. It's really sad that this book makes affairs and telling lies seem cool. A note of warning, this is not a suitable book for trendy girls and certainly not for teenagers. Being trendy is about being honest and not lying to your best friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Debrett's Etiquette for Girls
Debrett's Etiquette for Girls by Fleur Britten (Hardcover - 15 Oct 2008)
19.95