5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Brilliant Concept, 25 Aug. 2009
This is the first and the best of Mike Wilks' trilogy of 'Ultimate' paintings books. The original best-selling book (1986) and its annotated counterpart (1988) with the answers were gorgeous to look at and fiendishly addictive to attempt to solve and find all the objects in each of the 26 paintings which all began with a different letter of the alphabet. The 'S' page was said to contain 1229 objects and the 'X' page 30 objects. Although there was a prize of £10000 for the person who correctly identified the most objects, for many readers the pleasure was in finding as many as they could without concerning themselves about the prize.
This book is suitable for all ages as everyone from a university don to a 5 year old could find as many as they could at their own level. Over 8000 objects were eventually located which was about 300 more than Wilks had realised. He was very insistent that people saw rather than simply looked as he related that "....seeing is understanding what you are looking at".
Some of the most detailed paintings took as long as 4 months to complete and for those who were tempted to give up after a few minutes, there was always the fascinating puzzle of finding the images of a snail and the artist in every painting.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remembered, 3 Mar. 2013
My father owned the original Ultimate Alphabet (without annotations) at the time of its release in the 1980s, and I grew up with it. As an adult (and a teacher), I decided to purchase my own copy and it is as good as I remembered, if not better. 1 beautiful, detailed painting for each letter of the alphabet, including anywhere between 80 and 600 things beginning with that letter. It is a great way to combine the i-Spy format with art appreciation and vocabulary. I find the annotated version more satisfying, as I am able to check my answers and find out the names of some of the things I never could identify in the pictures, extending my knowledge.
I can't believe it has not been reprinted, although I did discover that there is an Ultimate Alphabet i-Pad app/game!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 27 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Ultimate Alphabet (Hardcover)
This is such an amazing book. It goes through each letter of the alphabet in amazing drawings, everything in each picture starts with that particular letter of the alphabet. There is also a snail to find in each picture, which the artist put in as a reminder that it was a slow process creating this book.
My brother and I used to spend hours looking through this book as children, pointing out all the things we could name. Now as adults with children of our own we both have our own copy and still enjoy looking through ourselves, and showing our children.
This book desurves to be on every book shelf. People of all ages will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Fabulous and fabulous graphics, 11 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Ultimate Alphabet (Hardcover)
A devious little book that has kept me busy for 12 years. Mike Wilks signed his book for me when I was a professor at Brixon College in London, I never did crack the alphabet, even though I had lots of time on my hands, to attempt to discover all the characters hidden in the book, but I tried and tried and tried. I still try quite regularly and it provides me with endless hours of searching.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Alphabet Book by Mike Wilks, 25 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Ultimate Alphabet (Paperback)
Hi y'all the first time that I saw this book was when the letter "S" was published in the Sunday Mail a Scottish Newspaper, they ran a competition you had to find as many as you can and hopefully win a copy of the book I thought that it was brilliant.

My wife bought it for my Birthday in 1986 the book is amazing and my wife and I spent many a late night searching together we became obsessed with the book we would go to charity shops, Jumble sales, and book sales to get as many reference books on all kind of subjects it is a great re-laxer. It shuts out the world, it is you and the book that's all that really matters I still go to it now and again but since my wife passed away it is not the same. I highly recommend it for all families young and old it is an excellent book and may I thank Mike Wilkes personally the man is a genius and a credit to the followers of his artistic genius.

Unfortunately over the years the workbook that came with it has been lost and I am looking for 2 copies to replace the originals is there anybody out there that can tell me where I could buy these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and different, 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Ultimate Alphabet (Hardcover)
My wife loved this gift and still hasn't managed to sort all the names on even one page, there are so many! Excellent artistic puzzle!

5.0 out of 5 stars The clue is in the title, Ultimate!, 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Ultimate Alphabet (Hardcover)
This book is the''ultimate'' in widening vocabulary for all ages whilst making it fun. And if you're an art lover like myself, then that is the icing on the cake. I only bought this copy because my original copy was getting worse for wear. I never get bored with this book and I always notice something new, every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overview of the book and what i thought, 21 Nov. 2003
The book is basically 26 strange but extemely detailed pictures with thousands of items arranged in a scene. Every item in the scene begins with the same letter A through to Z covered by 26 amazing pictures. Mike Wilks head is also in each picture somewhere. On the back of each picture is an annotated with a line drawing and the words listed and numbered its a very good version of where's wally for adults it is hours of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars An old Favourite, 7 Jun. 2014
The family owned this book when my children were young but it somehow got mislaid over the years. Now that we have grandchildren it was remembered as a real family favourite so i bought it again to hopefully keep this time and entertain a new generation with its wealth of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great classroom resource, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Ultimate Alphabet (Hardcover)
I use this as a starter for literacy lessons. Each page has countless objects beginning with a certain letter and is great to promote discussion. I am always careful though to stretegically place a stickler of the nude bits!

The Ultimate Alphabet
The Ultimate Alphabet by Mike Wilks (Hardcover - Sept. 1986)
Used & New from: £0.01