5.0 out of 5 stars Better than OS?
Published on 22 Sept. 2010 by boingey jon

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
Published on 18 Feb. 2011 by Jezz

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than OS?, 22 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map) (Map)
I was virtually born with an Ordnance Survey map in my hand and its a rare day when I don't find myself using one for something. In my opinion they are some of the best walking maps in the world and I'm generally reluctant to bother with anything else if an OS map is available. I bought this map and the matching one for the east section of the route whilst planning our Coast to Coast walk in 2009 because it not only marks the route (unlike the OS, as its not an official route) but fits it onto just two fairly compact maps. We walked east to west - a much better way to do it, but trickier to navigate as most of the signs only point the other way and guidebooks are all written west to east. I didn't expect to use it on the walk, but on the first day I set off with Wainwright's guide book, a modern guide book, the relevant OS maps and the Harvey's Coast to Coast East map. The next day the books stayed in our overnight baggage. I still took the OS maps with me, but they were buried in my rucksack in case I needed them. The map I found myself using every day was the Harvey's map. The size is nice and compact and the format easy to use. The detail is excellent and on the rare occasions when I pulled out the OS map to cross reference on a tricky to navigate section the Harvey's map actually seemed clearer. I won't be binning my OS maps yet, but Harvey's are a viable alternative and for the Coast to Coast undoubtedly the best maps for the walk.

3.0 out of 5 stars ''Strong durable waterproof polythyene map for walkers'' ? ? ?, 18 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map) (Map)
I am planning to walk the Coast to coast route so after research bought these two Harvey maps. The route is great and very helpfully put togther but I WAS EXPECTING TO HAVE BOUGHT ''Strong durable waterproof polythyene map for walkers'' as this are the exact words that are on the cover of the map but sad to say IT IS NOT. Its a normal paper map insind a plastic sleve which is open at one end. Its not laminated as I expected at all. Perhaps I missed something in the write-up but there it is. Its WIPE PROOF if the open end of the sleve is pointing downwards but certainly not a 'waterproof map'. I plan to cut it up and laminate it myself. JUST BE INFORMED. I dont normally moan but I want others to know. Thanks, Jezz....

EDIT OF ABOVE... I have just completed the Coast to Coast (March 24th 2011) in 10 brilliant days with tent and sleeping bag on my back, it was wonderful. I purchased all the relevent O/S maps (second hand) and made one huge strip map of them, then cut it into 3 thin strips before I left home and I was so glad I did. The Harvey maps did not work well for me as the detail was not great enough so after 2 days they were not brought out of my backpack again in favour of the O/S maps. I had highlighted the route from the Harvey maps onto the O/S strip map and for this I am gratetful to the Harvey maps but apart from that they did not work well. By all means try these Harvy maps but my tip is please dont go onto the fells with ONLY these maps. Have fun and be safe. Jezz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Map, 15 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map) (Map)
I have just completed the coast to coast and found the Harvey strip maps to be excellent. The material they are made from is fantastic - durable and water proof. Can't recommend them enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good All Weather map, 16 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map) (Map)
Both of these maps are very good quality showing just about the perfect amount of information for this journey. They would have been more use if we had purchased them before planning where to stay during the coast to coast as they give a good visual representation of the distances involved in each leg of the walk.
The maps themselves are printed on plastic and so are completely waterproof and very tear resistant. Some of the previous reviews seem to suggest that the maps are printed on thin paper, this is not the case.
Used in combination with Wainwright's book these maps are the perfect accompaniment to anyone planning the Coast to Coast.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best linear map for the Coast to Coast, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map) (Map)
By far the most detailed, comprehensive and durable map for the C2C. Buy it. We struggled with a cheaper alternative, but bought the Harvey's half way through the walk. Money well spent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Map, 9 Oct. 2010
W. Simpson (Memphis, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map) (Map)
This map is very useful to anyone walking the Coast to Coast, but a good guidebook is still needed. The map shows all the various alternative routes and shows as much detail as possible at this scale, but there are definitely places where you could go wrong if this was the only map you have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as OS maps, but good enough for navigating., 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map) (Map)
You do lose some detail due to the scaile, but with a compass its good enough. On one day at Nine Standards, (the 2nd highest point on the walk) the fog came down and we could only see about 20 feet. There were no landmarks up there but we managed to navigate through quiet easily with this map. (Make sure you know how to use a compass before beginning this walk!)

100% water proof? Well, on the same day my map case began to leak, yes it wasn't just fog, but rain been blown in all directions. When we got to our B&B the map was soaked through. I laid it out next to the radiator and it soon dryed out. There was some damage to the map but amazingly no loss of print!

I don't know how it would have gone on if it had to sit folded up in a map case in a tent for days on end, but t seems tough enough.

All in all a great map, I think the next best thing to an OS map. My friends had a "footprint" map and the "A to Z coast to coast" map book. The A to Z is OS maps in pages, great for navigating but didn't seem to be very water proof at all. The Footprint map is far too basic, lacking detail, changing scail from page to page, & rotating north.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in its way but could be twice as good, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map) (Map)
For my 2014 C2C I have the Stedman book from 2012 and then bought the Martin Wainright book and the two Harvey, West & East, maps. Harvey maps are accurate but I find the contours over emphasisied compared to the features on the map, and there is a lot of writing on the map sheet which i did not need that could have been more mapping. The C2C route is a wide dashed red line which on a 40k scale map doesn't clearly show the points where I will need good navigational detail.
Good points are that the maps are on plastic making them lightweight and durable, plus they fold into strip maps for each days walking.
What annoyed me about these maps, and the reason for 3 stars instead of 4, is that each map is only single sided. Instead of printing on both sides of the map sheet to produce a complete C2C 40k map Harvey have decided to produce two seperate sheets so you have to buy two maps when you should only have to buy one. I feel I have double charged for this mapping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful planning tool, 19 Dec. 2009
aev (Chorleywood, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map) (Map)
Valuable tool for planning the Coast to Coast. It is clear and practical. Acid test comes next September when we do the C2C

5.0 out of 5 stars Coast to coast pair of maps., 15 April 2014
This review is from: Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map) (Map)
Please see my fuller comments on the 'East' section, because I bought the set of course.
Excellent. Cheap. Nicely waterproof - under my tap! And you don't have to cart round a number of large O.S. (Expensive) maps.
Which have loads of info you don't need.
Highly recommended.
Care with reading the scale.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map)
Coast to Coast West St Bees to Keld (Route Map) by Harvey Map Services Ltd (Map - 18 Feb. 2014)