Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 December 2015
I was given this small book as a novelty gift by my wife. Originally published in 1926, it has a quaint, old-fashioned style of writing and at first glance it appears to be amusing because it is so old fashioned, out-dated and politically incorrect.

However, I quickly realised that hidden in the text were some very pertinent truths and sound advice which definitely resonated with me. For example "Don't be a musty sort of fellow with nothing bright and fresh in your outlook. It must be a dreadful blow to a woman who pictures her husband as a knight in shining armour to realise that he is a dull sort of individual without aims and ambitions."

Whoa! I am not feeling so smug about myself after reading this and other observations and suggestions.

My wide insists that this book was bought as a lighthearted joke, but I'm reading it more as a study guide which I hope will help me change for the better.
on 19 June 2011
Bought this for my brother, I thought it was very funny, hope he does too and gets it right this time!!
on 12 September 2015
Bought this as an anniversary gift to my husband. It is a very numerous book , but at the time it was first published I think more of a "self help" guide. It's a great compact size so not too heavy even though it's a hard backed book. I'm just waiting for hubby to read and take note !!!!!!
on 23 December 2015
You will have to be very young or very shallow to enjoy this romp through relationship. Nothing on sex and the writer assumes a man is always the breadwinner. Very straight and old-fashioned. It struck me maybe he is not being serious.....if he is find a good novel to read instead.
on 15 June 2016
Quick delivery, lovely little book :) Gave it my hubby in a pre-wedding goody bag for the night before the weddin when he stayed at a hotel. It's got some really hilarious ideas in it but also some really sweet seintiments. It's so interesting to see a nap shot of life from 1939.
on 12 May 2016
One of the pages was folded over/creased when the book arrived, but as it was only a title page, it's still fine to give as a gift. Funny little book that will bring a smile to someone's face if you give as a gift around their wedding day.
on 31 December 2010
It's not the greatest piece of literature on the planet, given.
But it makes a pretty good wedding present.
As a once serious guide, it's pretty funny to compare to modern life.
on 25 December 2012
Married 20th Nov 2012, & bought this as a funny gift for my new husband, what a fun look into the past & how things used to be !! Excellent gift for any newly wed or groom to be, will be buying more & the How to be a good Wife too
on 19 November 2012
It's a fun and cheeky gift. I gave it to my husband on the morning of our wedding and there are some fun pictures of him reading it. It's small and would be a great tongue-in-cheek stocking filler.
on 4 November 2011
A good little book in great condition - but there was a massive sticky price label on the back which I found practically impossible to remove without leaving a mark on the book!