5.0 out of 5 stars Warms the cockles
How did I possibly get into my thirties without ever having read this book? It is so wonderful, that I turned striaght to the front page again when I'd finnished reading it.
Published on 29 Dec 2003 by Boof

3.0 out of 5 stars It was cheap ... but it was cheap
It's a classic and well worth a read. This particular publication was in a very flimsy, small print, cheap format, which detracted from the pleasure you'd expect to get from reading such a story. Splash out a couple of pounds more and get a nicer version!
Published on 14 April 2011 by Annette Curtain

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Warms the cockles, 29 Dec 2003
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
If your only experience of A Christmas Carol, like me, was the dodgy TV adaptations, do yourself a favour and pick up this book. It is enchanting, heartwarming and and far better than anything you'll see on TV. A real Christmas treat!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, shame about the cover, 4 Jan 2010
Mrs Mouse (People's Republic of Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This book cannot fail, given that it contains the best-loved Charles Dickens Christmas stories. The only downside is the cover, which is dull, lacking in atmosphere and doesn't reflect the contents (in my opinion anyway). It also has no dustjacket, which is surprising. I think the publishers are relying on the stories selling themselves which, of course, they will do, but it's a shame they didn't make more effort with the packaging. It's also difficult to read without damaging the spine as it's quite stiff. Nothing really wrong with it, but it's not an outstanding item on my bookshelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stocking fillers, 19 Jan 2008
Magic Lemur (Somewhere in Madagascar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The first thing to point out with this collection is that it is well worth getting just for the first tale (the Christmas Carol). Christmas Carol, by far and away, more than matches the hype and is (dare I say it) genius! No other story (that I know of) imbues the spirit of christmas more perfectly and faithfully and this book is worth purchasing just for that.

However, tales two and three ('Chimes' and 'Cricket on the Hearth') are not quite so good and do let the collection down. 'Chimes' is a good story in essence: it is about a charactor called Trotty who becomes cynical about human nature and is taught a redemptive lesson by the spirits that live in the bells of the local church.
The really erksome thing is that the story never really seems to go anywhere and goes around the houses trying to do so. What should be a clear-cut and heartwarming tale, ends up not really imparting the lesson that it should; that man is built for better things.

'Cricket on the Hearth' is a little better and clearer in what it is aiming for and in its writing although I did read through ten pages of it where not a lot happened. Essentially it is about a carrier (Peerybingle) and his wife Dot who are watched over by a Guardian Angel in the form of a cricket. In a similar way to Christmas carol, this tale covers a redemption plot of the local toymaker (Tackleton) but also includes several other elements that make it an enjoyable Christmas tale.

So, to conclude, the first story in this book should be read by everyone, the second can be skipped and the third is worth reading, if only at Christmas time. As a collection, this book excludes the rather poorer tales of 'Battle of Life' and 'Haunted man', which is a redeeming virtue - if it excluded 'Chimes' as well, then it would be a true masterpiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas tales that live on, 9 Jan 2013
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Always around Christmas time I find myself yearning to read A Christmas Carol once again. I don't know how many times now I've read it - but I find myself drawn again and again to the story. This edition of the Christmas Books (Oxford Illustrated Dickens, reprinted 1987) is part of a complete set that my father gave me years ago, and I cherish them all. The book contains A Christmas Carol (1843), The Chimes (1844), The Cricket on the Hearth (1845), The Battle of Life (1846), and The Haunted Man (1848).

Knowing the delight I would again find in A Christmas Carol, I saved it till last in this re-reading of the book, and read the other stories first. These vary greatly in capturing the reader's interest, with The Batatle of Life, and The Haunted Man seeming to run down their batteries somewhat as they trundle on. Not riveting stuff. What is riveting, however, as always, is Dickens' use of the English language - lyrical, beautiful, poetic writing which, even when the subject matter becomes slightly tedious, is music to the ear. A Christmas Carol, with the tale of Scrooge, his dead partner and the visiting Spirits, is a masterpiece of storytelling, no matter what the age in which it was written.

I think A Christmas Carol is a story everybody should read at least once; the other stories in the Christmas Books are not so enduring, but well worth reading, at the very least from the perspective of a Dickens' completist viewpoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read as always, 24 Dec 2011
W. Thompson "Akard Ryver" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
This last month or so I have purchased quite a number of books from Amazon including this one. The price range is great with free delivery and the quality of the books written by great authors makes it easy to build a good library at an affordable price. I havent read it yet but have other copies of this book in my collection. Dickens books are always a good read..

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 5 Nov 2010
This book has a low price and you receive so much more. The Christmas books of Charles Dickens are a literary art piece that you can read for Christmas. Not only is this useful to read to children at bed time or by the fire, I think this book can wake the Christmas spirit that, as we grow older, it whispers to us in memory of the good old day.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heart warming tale... for Christmas and all year round, 7 Dec 2003
A classic tale, from a classic story teller. Dickens prose is a joy, his vocabulary diverse and hugely descriptive. He has thedeft ability to portray the emotion of a situation. For example, Scrooge's fear at meeting Marley and the other ghosts of Christmas or Scrooge's joy at truly experiencing Christmas once the ghosts have worked their magic. He enables the reader to see and smell Dickensian London. But, the moral of the tale is applicable to our lives today. I.e. don't be too wrapped up in material things. Enjoy life while you can, and help others to do so if you have the chance. Out with the 'bah humbug' and in with the 'Merry Christmas and goodwill to all men'! A brilliant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic., 16 Dec 2000
By A Customer
It is great to read the original Charles Dickens story which is so well written. A great tale of a sour old man haveing to reflect on his life. If you haven't already read the story this is a must buy. A great book, a great author and a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly presented classic, 27 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This is where you collect your Christmas spirit - classic Dickens in this magnificent OUP hardback volume. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth It For Scrooge Alone...In fact only for Scrooge, 29 Dec 2009
A Christmas Carol is without doubt one of my favourite books EVER. Beautifully crafted, inspired. It is truly wonderful. Not a word wasted and a plot that rattles along with the best of them.

The Chimes and The Cricket On The Hearth are, by comparisson, woeful. Verbose. Full of discriptive nonesense that does absolutely nothing to move the plot along. That they were popular in their day is, frankly, unfathomable. With the former, I gave up after 10 pages of waffle and with the latter I skipped to the end. Neither being worth the effort IMO.

Ah, but a Christmas Carol is a timeless classic. And at this price is well worth buying. Enjoy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Christmas Books (ISIS Large Print)
Christmas Books (ISIS Large Print) by Charles Dickens (Hardcover - Oct 1991)
Used & New from: 0.01