5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful
Published on 23 Sept. 2008 by hiljean

2.0 out of 5 stars Helpful but out of date
Positive:
I bought this book while suffering from extreme anxiety. When I started reading it I thought, "This book was written about me"! All my thoughts and symptoms were in this book! It made me realise I wasn't the only one to feel this way and gave me hope I could get through it. It gave explanations for a variety of anxiety symptoms which helped me to...
Published on 2 Sept. 2012 by J

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful, 23 Sept. 2008
hiljean (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I picked up this book second-hand in a charity shop last week and was a bit sceptical because this is obviously a book which was written many years ago. However as soon as I started reading it, like other reviewers here, I found immediate comfort and an accurate description of my symptoms and the causes of the physical sensations. My own GP has been totally unhelpful and I feel like taking a copy of this book into his surgery and urging him to recommend it to others.

Within a few chapters I was already able to face up to my irrational fears and start dealing with them and am astounded at how quickly I have started to recover. This book is immensely helpful and reassuring and I am rapidly returning to the strong, confident, cheerful person I was before I started suffering from anxiety attacks. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

(Update: 3 March 2010)
This book is still on my bedside table and goes with me when I travel. It has been so valuable whenever I have had a setback or renewed fears and has always provided comfort, sustenance and reassurance to the extent that I now rarely have to refer to it. But the surprising thing is that on those rare occasions that I do pick it up, it always seems to give me the boost I need to set me back on track again.

Buying this book was one of the best things I ever did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly helpful!, 26 Feb. 2005
By A Customer
This book was recommneded to me and I'm so glad I bought it. I've had it a couple of years now and straight away it stopped me being scared of the more constant physical symptoms and that alone gave me confidence. The panic part is a bit harder and I do still have to work on that from time to time but each time I do I read the book again, going over the paticular bits I find comforting.
I've bought a few books now by other writers and while they were not too bad this really has to be the definitive book on this subject she just seems know exactly how we all feel and I wonder if we all feel bits of the book are written just for us - its amazing her understanding and she just instills confidence and hope all through the book. I have also recently bought another title by her 'Essential help for your nerves' a two part volume and if agoraphobia is of interest to you then she covers this very well in that.
The style of writing is straightforward and reassuring and will appeal to men just as much as women as it sticks to the point and all feels so sensible.
It would be great if the tapes she has made were more readily available and maybe put onto CD as I would like to try those too to keep reinforcing the solutions at any time when I'm not feeling 'sensible'.
I really can't recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self Help For Your Nerves - "Does what it says on the tin!", 14 Mar. 2006
I have lent my copy of this book to God-Knows-How-Many people who were experiencing "nervous" illness, and they have ALL said how wonderful the book is.
You will not find a better explanation of what is going on and why - which is the secret to getting well.
Trust me, this book can change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars bad nerves, 29 May 2006
Having suffered with nerves and depression most of my life, i have tried everything available. Without a doubt this book is the best help i have ever had! It will become your bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars The reassurance anxious people are looking for, 18 Oct. 2007
This book puts it's arms around the anxious person and tells them everything is going to be ok. It then helps them get out of the spiral of fear-symptoms-fear-symptoms with practical steps and a reassuring confidence that you can get better. I recommend it to anyone suffering from anxiety.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book - a great source of comfort, 15 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
This book is truly great. I have been suffering from anxiety problems for around 7 months and was even diagnosed with depression and was put on anti depressants by an uninformed doctor! I was feeling separate from the rest of the world and just 'going through the motions', and felt no affection for my friends, family or even my boyfriend. This worried me more and more - I thought I was going mad! This book however tells you that to feel connected with the world again is simply a matter of trusting that you can stop worrying without your world falling apart - in fact you'll attain a level of inner calm that you may have forgotten existed inside you. Not only goes the teaching in this book help you 'float' out of your current state of mind, it also arms you with the ability to cope with future stressful situations.
An excellent book and I think could be a life saver - literally. A book that I would also recomend if you are suffering from anxiety or depression (or both) is; 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. I think this book complements 'Self help for your nerves' as it goes into more deeply why there is in fact nothing to worry about/be unhappy about at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars LAST LAST I FOUND THE WAY OUT, 6 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
Before I read this book I was so deeply depressed that I lived in an unreal world and lost to my family and friends with racing thoughts which eventually slowed to a constant groove with the same thoughts going over and over in my mind and the fear that came with those thoughts made me want to 'leave' my living hell for over two years. I was lost in depair and had no hope of ever being myself again and so very, very afraid. I constantly searched for the way out of my living hell and had lost hope until I found this book in my local library. Within minutes of opening it, my world changed. There it was! my illness unravelled before my eyes.This book saved me from a living hell and if you are constantly searching for the way out of your living hell, a hell which has taken you out of the world around you and into your own... this book is what you are searching for.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book ensured my recovery from anxiety/breakdown, 21 Oct. 2001
I had a serious breakdown 20 years ago.My anxiety was complicated by addiction to tranquilizers . This Claire Weekes book was totally responsible for my complete, yes complete recovery.I improved 50% the day I read it!Then, I put her techniques into practice and over time I became a better person than I had ever been. I went on to do a Phd in Veterinary science, had a successful research career and have now run a successful business for the past 13 years.Before this book I had visited Psychiatrists, Psychologists, counsellors, healers etc,etc, for 2-3 years, to no avail. For 3 months before reading this "bible" I couldnt even go to work, couldnt sleep, eat etc.Then my miracle happened, I found Claire. I have since "healed" many friends and colleagues,by presenting and explaining this book. So if you have anxiety Please Please use this book. You can and will recover completely. I know,I did.Love to Claire

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me back my life - simple as that., 15 April 2002
By A Customer
This book saved me - no exaggeration. I am a 'big bloke', considered mentally strong by friends, yet when I started getting panic attacks and panic disorder, I watched my life go down the pan, destroyed. Claire Weekes' book described exactly what I was experienceing and showed me how to deal with it. I am now cured, enjoying life once more - being normal.
Do not dimiss this book, like I did when a friend first recommended it, as a typical 'new-age' self help book. Just read it. If you do as she says you cannot help but be cured, as far-fetched as that might seem to you now. I cannot recommend it highly enough to anybody suffering from panic, anxiety, stress or 'nerves'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best!, 3 Aug. 2003
SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES gives a clear, consice and non-patronising account of the array of frightening syptoms experienced by those suffering from axiety, stress or depression. This marvellous book has helped millions and deserves all the high praise it receives. If you are a sufferer (or if you are seeking help for someone else) make this book your priority and know that you will get better.

Self Help for Your Nerves (ISIS Large Print)
Self Help for Your Nerves (ISIS Large Print) by Claire Weekes (Hardcover - July 1985)
Used & New from: £0.01