5.0 out of 5 stars For Seekers & Skeptics

Published 14 months ago by manchester maz

5.0 out of 5 stars For Seekers & Skeptics, 28 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
I've read many books on the historical reliability (and unreliability) of the New Testament; I've seen many educated opinions varying in every way; I done studies many resurrections-centered topics; but I've never seen a book quite like this! Morrison takes nothing for granted. He trusts his instincts, and, though coming shy of any kind of Biblical-Christian opinion, he beautifully defends the resurrection in this short examination. As a doubter I find it difficult to swallow what many Christians take for granted in their own faith. This book is not like most. However, as a believer I was thrown by Morrison into the last week of Jesus' life (and the following weeks) as I never have by any lecture or writing. Morrison brings to light many historical details missed my so many people (including myself). He is easy to read and difficult to put down.
To the skeptics: I was once a skeptic. It was not a brief reading of one or two apologetic works that convinced me; instead, it was months and months of hard research, with this book as one of the many highlights. I encourage all to read this.
Morrison's book will forever remain one of my personal favorites.
Luke Gilkerson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I remember it, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was about 15 and loved it, so when I saw it again I really wanted to read it. Unfortunately it did not have the same impact on me this time round. Obviously the book hasn't changed so it must be me. I found it rather tedious in parts even though the subject matter should be one of the most fascinating possible. I felt that the writer made some sweeping conclusions and presented them as fact. The biggest disappointment to me was, I still don't know who moved the stone....did I miss something ?

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let down., 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
I felt this book was a bit erratic, jumping all over the place. There was so much suggestion at the possibilities of who moved the stone that I got lost in the journey. I bought this book to read before passing it on to a new Christian who had many questions. I didn't pass it on after reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Convincing, 20 May 2002
Mr. Richard Foster (Cambridge, Cambs. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
This book, as well as being a gripping read, is a very convinving account of what happened to Jesus in those last days of His life before His crucifixion. But this is really only there to set up the scene. It is Jesus' resurrection which the book sets out to convince us of and it does so very well.
Granted, it relies heavily on the accounts written by Jesus' desciples. But then I've never quite understood why people object to this. Why are we more willing to listen to biased anti-Christian writers like Tacitus and Josephus who wrote long after the events, got there information very second hand and whose writtings we scarcely have any copies written less than 700 years after the originals! With the gospels you eye witness (or in some cases once removed) accounts that were written no more than 30 years after the events took place (and probably long before that), by people who dies for what they had written (so they had to be pretty convinced it was true) and copies of which we have within 100 years of the originals and many fragments much earlier than this. So I think he has every right to use such historical documents as he does. And as to them being inconsistent - they contain just the inconsistencies that you would expect between different eye witnesses. If they were identical then I would smell a rat.
Oh, and in case you were wondering. What little Josephus and Tacitus say about Jesus, agrees with the gospels anyway.
So well done Frank Morison. If you read this boook with an open mind you will surely be convinced of the truth of Christ's resurrection. And if that is true, well then that means we need to take His teaching about Himself pretty seriously too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Earnest but flawed argument, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a Christian friend and, as a non-believer, I would thoroughly recommend it to others: believers and non-believers alike. The book is an earnest attempt to understand, in secular terms, the days up to and following Jesus' death. The thrust of the book is that everything at that time, except the resurrection of Jesus, is explainable in secular terms, therefore the resurrection must be true. For me, however, there are a number of flaws in the argument:

1. The author often has recourse to the 'truth is stranger than fiction' argument; or, "if the Gospel writers were going to make this up, they wouldn't have made this up". My issue with this is that the argument is made through the lens of the 20th century, not the 1st century.

2. The author makes a lot of the abrupt change in the disciples following the resurrection as evidence of the cathartic event they had experienced. In fact, he makes much of the 7 week gap between the crucifixion and the disciples first speech at the Feast. Anyone with children who have left home or even moved from junior to secondary school will know that seven weeks is plenty of time for a "sudden" change to occur.

3. The author often looks at the actions of the players (disciples, priests, etc.) in the immediate days following the crucifixion in terms of what Christianity became many years later. I can well imagine the immediate reaction of the priests being one that it was all nonsense (Jesus has risen but won't present himself) and would blow over. Think David Icke or Sabbatai Zevi for example.

4. Much is made of the women visiting the tomb and their inability to move the stone. It is never explained why when they knew they wouldn't be able to move the stone, they went at a time when they could not have expected anyone to be there to help them.

5. This is my biggest criticism, the author does not fully explore the argument that Jesus was a mortal human. Although the book predates C.S. Lewis' Signature broadcasts, the author does appear to think that we must admit the divinity of Jesus because to think otherwise means Jesus was either a conman or a madman. It is not possible to think of Jesus as just an exceptional social reformer. I have never accepted the Lewis argument because there are lots of other exceptional social reformers whose mortality is never questioned (Moses, the Buddha, Confucius, Mohammed). This is not the place to express my own views, but there are facets of Jesus' mortality that could and should have been addressed in the book. Much is made of the delay in the Garden of Gethsemane - was Judas 'negotiating' on Jesus' behalf? Was the timetable set by Jesus - he was convicted by his own words after all? Was it imperative that Jesus died on the Friday because the needed to know the tomb would to be undisturbed for a day. Jesus' statement on the cross "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" is never examined. I contend Jesus says that not because he has not been saved, but because he is not dead yet.

Nevertheless, whilst not accepting the author's deductions -the book does raise some very interesting questions. The location of Jesus' body was not known to anyone - I agree with the author that this is a secret that could not be kept. Any discussion around the mortality of Jesus, must accept that Jesus' plan had him dying on the cross. Why did a Church whose promise of bodily resurrection was so palpably false (except for one, supposed, exalted individual) survive to become the dominant religion? The answer for me has always being that Christianity was as much a political movement as a religious one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book makes excellent reading and after examining the evidence the author completely ..., 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
The author had never been able to swallow the idea of Christ’s resurrection, and for his own satisfaction, approached the whole question from the point of view of a detective story, sifting each incident from every point of view, and treating each character in the story, from all four Gospels, psychologically. The book makes excellent reading and after examining the evidence the author completely convinced himself that belief in the resurrection is the only credible explanation to the vacancy of Christ's tomb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 14 Mar 2011
Bacchus (Greater London - Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
This book was written in 1930, and although its message is eternal and universal, I would say that the make-up of its potential readership in Britain today is very different to the one which existed when it was written. Britain is a much more multicultural nation and people are generally much more skeptical about religion than they used to be.

Frank Morison was the pseudonym of an English journalist called Albert Henry Moss (born 1881 died 1950), who sought to analyse and pick holes in the Resurrection story focussing on the disappearance of Jesus' body from his tomb after his crucifixion. He treats the sources of information that he has in an almost forensic manner and I for one enjoyed revisiting these passages and building up a highly detailed picture from just a few verses of each gospel. Every word and clause is pored over and treated as an historical fact. He brings attention, not only on the key players (Jesus, Peter, Pilate etc) but also on the other minor players in the drama to show their contribution to the story. Morison also brings in other historical sources to justify the logic of the Christian story as presented in the gospels such as the unauthorised gospels and Josephus' history. I would have appreciated more footnotes to indicate the exact sources of what he was trying to convey.

I recall from my schooldays my head teacher talking to my class about ideas contained in this book. I commented that surely it was more important to reflect on what Jesus did and said rather than focus too much on the Resurrection. He said that the Resurrection story was absolutely key and if it were not true, then none of the other aspects of Christ's life and work would matter. This sounds to me like CS Lewis' trilemma that states that Jesus could only be "Lord, liar or lunatic". The Resurrection story is of course key because it is the fulfillment of the Word and so any analysis that gives weight to the historical veracity of the story is very helpful. Personally speaking, I have never had much problem believing it. Compared to Jesus' virgin birth and all the miracles He performed (including raising Lazarus from the dead), his own resurrection does not seem so unusually miraculous.

I have to say though that if you are of a skeptical frame of mind, don't have a basic religious faith or recognise the Bible as a historical document, then you probably will not be convinced by this book. Frank Morison's approach is based on close reading of the Bible and stating that the actions of all the players, major and minor, appear to be entirely rational and in keeping with the miracle of the Resurrection: and therefore, any of the alternative explanations that might disprove the Resurrection do not hold water. I do not think he really explains what he thinks actually happened but leaves the mystery as a mystery - which is ultimately a matter of faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asking important questions, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
Did Jesus really rise from the grave? It's a question that has been asked for centuries, and Frank Morrison, a lawyer and a journalist, brought his forensic mind and writing skills to bear on it. He set out a firm non-believer, and, in the course of examining the evidence and writing the book, became convinced of the truth of the Gospel. Well worth reading by everyone with an enquiring mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book recommended to me, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
The book was interesting but quite hard going at the beggining. Once you get into the style it is a fascinating read.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. If thee are any sceptics re' the resurrection of Jesus Christ out there, then this is the book you should read.

Who Moved the Stone?
Who Moved the Stone? by Frank Morison (Paperback - 7 July 2006)