5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, accessible ... and a challenge ..., 15 Mar 2006
Alan Meban (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And Now Let's Move into a Time of Nonsense: Why Worship Songs are Failing the Church (Paperback)
Thought of writing worship songs, but don’t know where to start?
Wondered why when you bring your friends to your trendy youth service, they look as bemused as if you had made them sing metrical psalms unaccompanied?
Then this short, accessible and funny book might help you. If you’ve ever questioned whether these really are the days of Elijah, and particularly if the thought never crossed your mind, read this book.
It made me think hard, laugh out loud, and resolve to have a go at writing REALLY modern worship songs.
And if Nick Page can get respected artists like Graham Kendrick and Andy Flannagan to supply quotes for the book's back cover, then his opinion is worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Constructive Critique, 14 Nov 2009
P. Hutchinson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
I had seen this book on bookshelves years ago, but had put off buying and reading it, because I assumed from the title that it was a satirical book - poking fun and calling "no clothes, Mr Emperor", but taking an essentially cynical approach. I've done plenty of poking fun at contemporary worship in years past, but it's easy to be cynical - it's harder to demonstrate a better way of doing things.

Having now read the book, this was an unfair impression. This is a constructive critique of the lyrical content of modern worship. There are no cheap shots taken here. (There's not even any criticism of poorly put together music, which you might have expected. Instead Mr Page commends in passing the musical quality which many praise bands aspire to - "great tunes, shame about the words"). Instead, this is a passionate plea for why modern worship needs to seek out thoughtful lyrical content, as well as showing some of the cultural reasons why we've let ourselves down in this respect. It's written by someone who loves modern worship, but often gets annoyed by it.

This is thought provoking and readable - I plan on recommending it to all the other guys on my worship leading team. As a previous reviewer pointed out, it's aimed at songwriters, but I think it's also good for challenging the average worship leader to seek out lyrical quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Timely and astute, 22 May 2007
Oliver Lea "Oli Lea" (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
I spotted this book a week after griping to my wife about the platitudinous lyrics of some of the latest songs introduced in our church. So I snapped it up and read it in a weekend.

Nick Page has hit the nail on the head, although in places I feel he doesn't even go far enough. Perhaps the subjective nature of his chosen topic forced him to tread more carefully than I wanted him to.

The sting in the tail was realising that I myself, as a worship songwriter, had committed more of the crimes listed than I thought. I have since given some proper time to revising many of my own lyrics.

The tripe songs are now more bearable in church because I know I'm not the only one who feels that way about them - but more than that, I'm able to better enter into the spirit of the genuinely good worship songs because I'm better able to understand what went into them.

NOTE: This book seems to be marketed at anybody and everybody, but there are large sections of it that will probably only be of particular interest to those who write songs themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Funny & Erudite, 8 Jan 2014
Christina (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Nick Page is always very readabe. He is a font of knowledge about the history of hymn writing. The book is set out in a tongue-in-cheek way of "how to write a decent hymn". He implores modern songwriters to do leave off the neverending clichés of lambs and purification and make it relevant. He knocks those writers who use archaic language which no-one has a clue as to its meaning. I now find it hard to sing, "lift up my ebenezer" without smiling and thinking back to this book. (I know what an ebenezer* is, but do you?)

If you love hymns and more modern day praise-giving songs, you will thoroughly enjoy this book.

*It is a measure of drink, rather like a nebuchadnezer (sp?...!)

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, good transaction, 23 Nov 2010
W. M. Thompson "Mark Thompson" (Sandbach UK) - See all my reviews
What can I say - it got here promptly in good condition - 5 stars for the supplier and delivery service.

It makes a lot of good sense and encourages a thoughtful approach to modern worship songs - 5 stars to the author

4.0 out of 5 stars Sense anbout nonsense, 22 Sep 2010
Church goers like me often sing the kind of song to which the title refers through gritted teeth. If you prefer versions of modernity other than that perpetrated by the `Mission Praise' school, you are berated for not being `modern'. By what stretch of the imagination is `As the deer pants for the water' a modern hymn when the line is lifted from a Psalm about 2,500 years old? The fact is that much of what passes for worship songs gives the impression of being written in five minutes flat on a shirt cuff. The lines don't scan and the words don't fit the tune. Inspired it ain't.

What a pleasure it was to unpack this book and read it avidly straightaway in a single sitting. It said everything that needed to be said. Worship Song writers need to raise their game as a matter of urgency. We cannot put up with drivel much longer.