5.0 out of 5 stars This is a story about a man who changed lives, 4 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
I read this book with tears. Sometimes, the emotional impact was so much that I had to stop reading and pull myself out of it. James Hudson Taylor was one of the first missionaries who were willing to identify themselves with Chinese people, just as Jesus identify Himself with human. The author described honestly about Mr. Taylor's stregths and weaknesses, successes and mistakes, and his spiritual journey with God. A worth to ready biography.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, 2 Nov. 2011
GJC "gjc" (Belfast N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: J. Hudson Taylor: A Man in Christ (Missionary Life Stories) (Paperback)
I've read a number of biographies on Hudson Taylor and like the others this biography has many qualities to recommend it. If I had to sum up `A Man in Christ' in one word, that word would be "comprehensive". This is probably the fullest account of any of the works on Taylor that I have read and I've read this biography more than once to be sure I got the correct sense of it. The author has done a good job of navigating his way through JHT's life from early childhood days in Barnsley to his demise at the age of 73 and a lifetime of service in between. The author has also included helpful chapters that give useful background to the religious, political, economic and historical situation in China before Hudson's arrival & during his ministry. I found these particularly useful as it gave the setting for our story. The author has also provided a more complete account of important background information to some of the key moments from the life of Hudson Taylor that are not fully discussed in other works. The author devotes some time to meetings and time spent with D.L. Moody, `the Cambridge seven', Charles Spurgeon, George Mueller and even European monarchs. These are just some of the positives, but the more I read the book the more I appreciated the comments the author has included from those who knew JHT towards the latter years of his ministry. Without doubt there is a huge body of evidence that conveyed the admiration in which he was held. Even those who were suspicious of him and the China Inland Mission (even though they had not met him) were won over by his Christ-likeness when they were eventually introduced to him. There does indeed seem to be an overwhelming affection from so many towards JHT, and perhaps it's a fitting tribute to the man himself. Having said all of the above, I do have one or two small irritations that I should mention to bring some balance. Once or twice the author left us to fill in the blanks. When Jennie's baby arrived "Hudson did what was necessary". I'm not sure what the author means, did he pray for mother and child? Did he consecrate the child to God? Or did he attend to the medical needs involved in a delivery? Yes, I know it's a small point, but I found these occasions cryptic. There may be also a tendency to view too much through `rose tinted spectacles'. John Pollock's biography, `Hudson and Maria', dealing only with the time up to the death of Hudson's first wife is probably a more realistic account. Pollock gives us the good and the bad. This work by Roger Steer does not discuss Hudson's melancholy, irritability and dogmatic approach. Of course no-one is built up in their faith by scandal but the failures also serve to remind us we all have feet of clay. Please dont be put off by a few niggles this remains a worthy read and I heartily recommend it to all. I will be purchasing additional copies as Christmas gifts!
Overall, a good comprehensive biography. Recommended reading on one of the greats of the faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and Challenging, 23 Oct. 2008
Peter R (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a well-written biography of a man who gave everything up for the sake of the gospel.

It is a very challenging read and is written in a way that allows you to be drawn back to the time and circumstances within which Hudson Taylor persevered.

His really was a remarkable life and this book seems to do justice to it. It doesn't just harp on about how good a man he was, but you also see that there were times when he was difficult to deal with etc.

I strongly suggest reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Read, 5 May 2009
I took this book on holiday recently and couldn't put it down. It is beautifully written and touches your heart. Hudson was a unique man who was clearly singled out by God for a wonderful work. His experiences challenge our own faith and trust in God and leave a mark within. I would recommend it without doubt. Anyone that reads this book will carry away something with them for all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 1 Jun. 2010
Mr. R. Champion (Crawley England) - See all my reviews
The word awesome is used way too much these days but in the case of Hudson Taylor and his ministry to China it doesn't suffice.

A man led by God to the people of China - that was Hudson Taylor. He was blessed with tremendous strength of character and a very humble spirit relying totally on God for provision and guidance. A selfless man with an overwhelming love for the chinese people.

His story will inspire you. You will feel deep joy and deep sadness, you will laugh. you will cry, you WILL be touched and I pray challenged to seek Jesus for yourself. The call on Hudson Taylor was to the chinese and as Hudson Taylor obeyed that call so God blessed him. Yes, read this book, be inspired and then ask God what He would have you do.....and do it!

If you don't know Jesus as your saviour then read this book and see the reality of a Christ-centred life.

As Elisha wanted to be like Elijah so for me I want the same spirit as Hudson Taylor for my calling to street children....

5.0 out of 5 stars J. Hudson Taylor: A Man In Christ (Missionary Life Stories), 5 Dec. 2012
I give this a five, because it is so inspiring and challenging. Hudson is so genuine and full of love and always prepared to go above and beyond what other people might do, he had a constant enthusiasm to share the Gospel and everything he did showed who he is in Christ. Really a role model to learn from.

J. Hudson Taylor: A Man in Christ (Missionary Life Stories)
J. Hudson Taylor: A Man in Christ (Missionary Life Stories) by Roger Steer (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2005)