5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful...a perfect children's book, 6 Jan 2004
My family first came accross this book about 15 years ago, and I have to say it is definitely one of my favorite childhood books. As children we found it inspiring and exciting and all of what a children's book should be...we wanted to read it, to look at the gorgeous illustrations, to be a part of that world. As an adult, I still find it inspiring and exciting but it also has an added beauty of being a classic and unaffected story, qualities which are hard to come by within children's literature. If you have children, this book is a great buy. If you don't have children, this book is a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC CHILDRENS STORY, 7 Nov 2002
Dr Neil Shah (Birmingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book all round for all ages but especially the 6-12 group. Great uncle Launcelot and the 3 kids in the story lead us all around the world hunting a lost relative via an environmentally-friendly, mind-bogglingly clever hot-air balloon. There are lots of adventures in all areas of the world always involving the local animals which, of course Durrell is an expert on. The story has warmth, colour, pace and will keep your kid interested and looking forward to each new chapter.
this is a brilliant book and excellent value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bed-time reading with a new adventure each evening, 14 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I love Gerald Durrell's work and was thrilled to find House of Stratus were reprinting so many titles. THE FANTASTIC FLYING JOURNEY is not only lovely to look at, it is perfect bedtime reading and each evening there is a new and exciting adventure to look forward to. Durrell, in an amusing and entertaining way, teaches us a great deal about the animal kingdom and certainly my family now look on their fellow creatures of whatever size and shape with appreciation and respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read even for the adults!, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Fantastic Flying Journey (Hardcover)
I bought this book to read to my grandson after my son said how he had enjoyed it being read to him when he was young, it had left a memorable impression on him about an adventure across the globe in a balloon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality, 19 July 2012
Book is out of print so only way to get one is a used one, this was in excellent condition and my little girl was so pleased, dont worry about buying from this place, I can only say top quality

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Journey for the Imagination, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Fantastic Flying Journey (Hardcover)
I read this book as a child of about ten and loved every page. The pictures are beautiful and it is a story that takes your imagination on a literal fantastic flying journey around the world. The story is about children who are taken on an adventure in their uncles flying house which is made and functions by weird and wonderful materials and methods.

If you have kids you'll love reading it to them and it will really get their own internal world of imagination working (something that TV and movies doesn't offer so much)

The book is really hardy too, in hardback with a nice paper covering.

I bought the book now for the child in me and I am sure there's a child in every one of us who would love to take their imaginations on the same adventure.

Buy the book. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 14 April 2011
My 7 years old son absolutely loves this book. We read together every night and he is absolutely fascinated by this amazing journey.Great present.

ARRAY(0xadec0798)

The Fantastic Flying Journey
The Fantastic Flying Journey by Gerald Durrell (Hardcover - 29 Oct 1987)
Used & New from: 2.74