Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 January 2014
Buy this book to learn how to think "out of the embroidery box" and to inspire you to produce experimental and innovative textiles. Read it to understand and be able to follow the process of creativity. It will teach you to develop your own ideas and a personal style of working whatever you chose as your inspiration. Drawing to gather information is crucial to the artist embroiderer and practical ways to do this are suggested. Drawings, pages from sketch books and quality illustrations of Jean's own work enhance the text. Practical exercises include making new surfaces with and without a ground fabric, changing fabrics' structure through manipulation and working over moulds to create three dimensional pieces. An excellent inspirational book from a first class teacher.
on 11 October 2013
Jean Draper's individual approach to textile art is inspirational, if you want something different from the usual textile art books then buy this one. Clear and easy instructions to follow that make you want to get started straight away.
on 17 March 2014
I shared this book at the Creative Embroidery course that I am currently studying and everybody was inspired. The pictures are beautiful and there are clear instructions
on 9 December 2013
I have waited a long time for Jean to write a book. It does not dissapoint. As one other review states, you read the words and hear the voice. Jean shares her ideas freely. Sketches and photographs of her work inspire, get the creative juices flowing and the fingers itching to get started on new ideas. A truely inspirational book from a truly inspirational embroiderer.
on 14 January 2014
This is a very clearly written, beautifully illustrated book which will inspire anyone interested in creating textured textiles, for whatever use. Full of ideas, I will return to it time and time again for inspiration.
on 2 February 2014
This was a Christmas gift.
It's practically perfect in every way.
Cannot fault it.
Love the cover!
Just buy it.
on 26 February 2014
This is an essential book for anyone looking at taking their stitching into 3 dimensions. Full of techniques, illustrations and tips for the novice and experienced alike
on 18 January 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to explore their own textile art form. It is a beautiful book to look at and the cover is amazing!! well worth the money. thank you Jean!
on 13 November 2015
“This object that we hold in our hands, a book... that tactile pleasure, it's just not going to go away.” -Maggie Stiefvater

I am incredibly tactile. If I see a beautiful object, I want to touch it. To run my fingertips over it, search for a scent, close my eyes and enjoy the texture over my palms. Doesn’t work real well in museum situations, but books, textiles, fibers? Plants and wood, leaves and flowers. It’s all the same to me. I want to touch. To breathe in the scents. To run my eyes over beauty and feel it in my soul.
Touch. And to touch Stitch and Structure by Jean Draper is sheer pleasure to touch. I removed it from its packaging and was immediately surprised by just how tactile the cover is. Soft, with a definite velvety feel, as if I were touching a newborn kitten. The format is large, allowing me to rub my palms over the cover, my fingertips loving the softness. The beauty of the cover on a visual scale is gorgeous. Textured textile, cords and wraps, spread out in a luscious view, reminiscent of a landscape of mountains and valleys seen from above – and the eyes of the earth along the top, both clever and surprising.

Then, opening the book is yet another joy. Smooth, supple paper, cool to the touch. Rich, vibrant colour, brilliant black line drawings, the artwork leaps from the page, starting that little flutter of the heart that indicates that you have in your hand something truly gorgeous.

And then, the art itself. These are unconventional structures: linear and curved, odd and unusual, some radiantly colorful, some reminiscent of earth, wood and stone and the swirl of water, the nest of a bird, the striations of a cave wall. Beauty. Structure. Form. Light and airy, or dense and convoluted, each item on the pages carries a sense of the soul of the earth. Draper’s work is the epitome of organic textiles. You learn her methods, whether it be drawing with a purpose, photographing natures lines and edges to constructing with threads, mounting threads in apparent thin air – her methods are beautifully designed, her art flawlessly flawed, making each piece a mix of odd, unique, and stunningly unusual in the best of ways. I am thrilled with the book, can you tell?

I won Stitch and Structure from Reader’s Desk in their Read Whatcha Like Giveaway, and I can’t say just how pleased I am. Thanks, Reader’s Desk, for allowing me to choose this book for my prize!
on 25 January 2014
Excellent ideas book well set out and explicit on the process of achieving the finished effect you want. Lots of ideas to use as they are or to expand on.