4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely presented and of the period, 8 Aug 2013
Mr. H. Bragen (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cycling Touring Guide: Central England (Paperback)
I don't want to be unfair to this book and I acknowledge the work that has gone into presenting us with a slightly modernised version of a publication from yesteryear. However, I don't find it particularly engaging~ perhaps because books written during this period were written to appeal to the tastes of the time and that time is certainly not our time.
The sections written at the end of each chapter advising us of a modern Sustrans route where Briercliffe's routes are no longer available, or dangerous to cyclists owing to the volume of traffic, are not very comprehensive and should perhaps have been a little longer.
On the plus side it is printed on good paper and the cover is classic. I didn't see the TV series so missed out on that connection but as a stand-alone guide this doesn't do it for me. While I love the idea of rediscovering 50's Britain, I don't think this is the way to do it. Great in theory but not in practice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cycling Touring Guide: Central England, 11 Feb 2013
Colin Morgan "Colin Morgan" (Leics UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cycling Touring Guide: Central England (Paperback)
Fasciunbating to read this book about cycling in Central England in teh past. I would like to cycle the same route,

ARRAY(0xad0de384)

Cycling Touring Guide: Central England
Cycling Touring Guide: Central England by Harold Briercliffe (Paperback - 28 Jun 2012)
6.99