5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling story: Trying to find your place in the world.
This book is great. I read it cover to cover in one afternoon. If you like compelling story telling, intriguing characters that leave you wanting for more and ideas that make you think; then this is for you.
The story telling has the fine craft of someone like Phillip Pullman (must have been all those drafts) but also has the imaginative quirks of someone perhaps a...
Published on 13 Jan. 2003 by B. Yeoh

3.0 out of 5 stars My son enjoyed it
My son, aged 8 had been reading this as his class book in school. It is too complex for him to read by himself, but we have read some of it together. To be honest, I found it a little confusing and it's not really my thing, but he seemed to understand it and enjoy it. We have since ordered the second book.
Published 10 months ago by Han

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like this book and it is one of the best ..., 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Varjak Paw (Kindle Edition)
Varjak Paw is a Mesopotamian blue kitten who lives high up on a hill in a big house with his family who are mean to apart from grandfather and the elder Paw who is the head of the family.The Elder Paw tells Varjak about the seven skills of Jala but he only tells Varjak three of the skills and their names are slow-time, moving circles and, shadow-walking.

Varjak has never actually left home before until one day when grandfather takes him out in to the back garden.To tell him he needs to find a dog to scare a man and his two identical black cats away.

But Varjak doesn't know all seven skills so out in the city he needs to master the other four skills or he will not survive out in the dangers city where there are cars, dogs and cat gangs. In the city he makes two new friends who help him find a dog.

I really like this book and it is one of the best books i have read because it is full of action and excitement. It really makes you read on. I recommend you read this book because it is a real page turner.

Madeleine

5.0 out of 5 stars varjak paw written by sf said, 1 Mar. 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Varjak Paw (Paperback)
This book is about a cat who learns to fight.Varjak is a bit of a wimpy housecat. His family needs a dog because a man with two big cats wants to make his family into toy cats who speak.They need the dog to chase the man away.Varjak and his Grandad try to escape the scary man and his strange viscious cats. Varjak's grandad said "you can do it" and he belived in Varjak Paw so he climbed the wall.When he got to the other side... vrooooom A big thing zoomed past him, he thought it was a dog because his grandad said they're big enough to eat a man. So varjak paw went into the road in front of the car...

This book is for ages 7 to 13 year olds I hope you enjoy this book as I did. I enjoyed this book because theres lots of fighting and gangs and good description of cludge the dog. I would reccomend it for boys and girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book i've ever read!, 31 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Varjak Paw (Paperback)
I thought this book wasn't as good as it looks, looking at the front cover but when I read the book, it completely moved me. It has emotion, action, adventure and fantasy rolled into one. There are many good things about this book, one being Varjak Paw learning the way of Jalal, Sally Bones, the thin white cat, Razor, the tiger striped tomcat, the huge dog called Cludge and the metal monsters that roar up and down the streets.

I can read this over and over, it's that good! My favourite part is when Varjak is in the middle of the road trying to talk to the huge metal monsters (cars) coming from down the street and when Varjak fights Razor and Ginger.

It's an epic book this, I'm surprised there hasn't been a film, in my opinion, there should be an animated movie of this, because this book is stunning to read!

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, 26 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Varjak Paw (Paperback)
This book is about a cat named Varjak Paw who is Msopotamian Blue with a huge family at the Contessa's house on top of a hill. Varjak is the outcast cat of the family due to the fact that he has amber eyes but the rest of the family have green eyes.

As a result he is not allowed to go out of the house and has to stay with his family all of the time. However, when a gentleman turns up with his mysterious black cats: trouble awaits. Now Varjak Paw has to be brave and go outside to find a dog to stop the gentleman and his cats. However, on his journey he has to learn the seven ways of Jalal!

I love this book! It is full of action, adventure and mystery and is perfect for anyone who likes fiction told from an animal's point of view!

By Connor G, Lamberhead Green Primary School

5.0 out of 5 stars Would be a good read for 11 - 13 yrs alone, 16 Dec. 2014
C. Cowie "cha" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Varjak Paw (Paperback)
It's actually a while since I bought this but I'm compelled to write a review. My son and I read it together when he was about 9 years old. It's the story of a young cat in an alienating world finding his way, making friends and learning to fight both for himself and for what is right. My son found it absolutely captivating, as did I. That was 3 years ago and we have struggled to find another book that has made such an impression and engaged him so much, despite many worthy reads. Would be a good read for 11 - 13 yrs alone, or 9 upwards with an adult, I think. The sequel is also good and worth investing in. It was only until we read The Graveyard Book this year that I felt we had found the same standard of wordcraft, magic and excitement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Varjak Paw - a new classic, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Varjak Paw (Paperback)
My step-daughter aged 8 read 85 pages in one night. I think that speaks for itself. The book was never out of her hands till it was finished then she begged me to read it. I did and so did her dad. Now for the follow up.

5.0 out of 5 stars good but not great, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Varjak Paw (Kindle Edition)
its a good book, but i wouldnt reccomend it to kids under 8, because of one part that made me, a 10 year old, feel slightly sick. i will leave it to u to decie wether to read it or not... age reccomendation: 8+

5.0 out of 5 stars If only grown-up books were this good, 26 Mar. 2011
Oracle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Varjak Paw (Paperback)
I certainly wasn't expecting this fairly obscure and underrated children's book to be anywhere near as good as it is. Ignore the clichéd and pedestrian opening chapters - from there onwards the narrative opens up into a breathtaking and powerful coming-of-age story, by turns charming, sinister and exhilarating.

Said knows how to keep a narrative moving effortlessly and it's a shame that few adult novels manage to be so frightening or uplifting. There are strong female characters, dastardly villains and glorious set pieces and it's no insult to say that parts of this novel reminded me of both Watership Down and Kafka on the Shore. An added bonus were the atmospheric illustrations by Dave McKean, who really understands how cats move.

Personally, it impressed me far more than Harry Potter or His Dark Materials and would be my personal pick for best children's story of recent years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a book, 23 Nov. 2007
Matthew Poole (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Varjak Paw (Paperback)
My eight year old son picked this book as a bedtime read and it was certainly a great choice.

It follows the exploits of a an escaped house cat on a mission to save his ungrateful family. On the way he makes friends, meets enemies and learns the secrets of cat martial arts in his dream meetings with an ancient ancestor. You don't get much more original than that.

It is delightfully written with a good mixture of excitement, humour, danger and allegory. The characters are well constructed and believeable The good guys are likeable and the baddies are sinister which makes for a great adventure yarn.

The Illustration is also brilliant and fits well with the story and the text.

My kids love this book and so do I!

4.0 out of 5 stars it is not my favourite I have ever read, 25 Nov. 2014
Book Review by Charlotte

Varjak Paw is a mesiptamian blue with piercing red eyes, his family always trys to put him down by teasing him, messing with him and mostly just tormenting him, because of his eye colour. Varjak lives on the top of a small hill with his family, the contessa owns the house.

This book is about:
Varjak facing his enemy
Getting settled with new surroundings
Exploring and searching new places other than the house
Making new friendships

My opinion about this book is, it is not my favourite I have ever read, it was exciting in some of the parts but boring in others.

I would recommend this book to cat lovers

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Varjak Paw
Varjak Paw by SF Said (Paperback - 29 April 2010)
Used & New from: £3.41