Published 9 months ago by K King

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed
I guess I should have sought this out in a shop first and had a thumb through it. I was expecting more recipes to be honest. Also a lot of the recipes are for stuff like quail, pheasant, venison. Stuff everyday folk like myself never buys. I think I found about 2 or 3 recipes that I'd try but no more.
Published 8 months ago by K. Pack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous book - using this book several times per week - lovely meals, highly recommend, 20 Nov 2013
K King "kathy8904" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites (Paperback)
This little book is one of my favourites. I have many other pressure cookery books and this one is better than 80 Recipes for Your Pressure Cooker, The Basic Basics Pressure Cooker Cookbookand Pressure Cooking Properly Explained. I have recently bought Jamie Oliver's latest book Save with Jamie: Shop Smart, Cook Clever, Waste Less. Jamie's book is full of flavour and delicious meals - this book delivers in the same way - but saving LOADS of preparation and cooking time. The food always tastes fabulous AND is up to date - you will want to try these modern dishes. I can relax knowing that all recipes have been tripled tested thoroughly by BBC Good Food - I have honestly had no problems with excess liquid, adding flour etc. Just relax and follow the instructions!

There are 6 chapters and an introduction on getting the best of your pressure cooker.

winning soups - I love split pea and and green pea smoke ham soup and carrot and coriander soup

Vegetable and vegetarian dishes - homemade butternut and harissa houmous made in 20 minutes from start to finish - lovely with flatbreads, on toast or bread sticks. Loads left for lunch the next day.

Fish and seafood - prawn and pea risotto - a little bit of preparation and short cooking time. No continual stirring for a long time to get perfect results!

Poultry and game - there are dishes using rabbit and guinea fowl, but I love chicken mole. If you love chilli and sweet and spicy flavours you will love it Makes loads with only 8 bone in chicken thighs. Once you cook the meat you shred it and add to the stew. Lots of other modern dishes such as chicken with chickpeas and moroccan style chicken with lentils.

Meaty mains - how about red braised ginger pork belly? I have been making this same dish once a week for the last month (need to rest it a bit), its so tasty and succulent. Keema with peas using lamb mince, spices, plain yogurt, tinned chopped tomatoes and frozen peas.

preserves and puddings - I haven't made rice pudding in years - but this was so lovely and easy. This is great for families. I am going to try making a heavenly chocolate pudding this weekend for visiting family.

Apart from some expensive dishes using prawns and difficult to find supermarket ingredients such as rabbit - this book is in the main economical and very easy to follow.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, 10 Dec 2013
K. Pack "kevbear" (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good little cookery book, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites (Paperback)
Ever since I bought my new pressure cooker I have been looking for cookery books for pressure cookers. This one is cheap but has lots of good recipes, all illustrated. It is better that some more expensive ones and contains more recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars great recipes, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites (Paperback)
Some really great recipes in this book, as always from BBC GoodFood. Recipes are tailored for 15lb cookers, so it takes a third longer to make these recipes in my 12lb cooker.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites (Paperback)
Just what we need to go with our new pressure cooker and explains in a simple way how each recipe works.

2.0 out of 5 stars Recycled recipes - not adapted properly, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites (Paperback)
This book is okay if you know what you are doing when cooking with a pressure cooker. Fortunately, I do! However, the rest of my family do not. I have had to go through the book amending and editing the recipes so that others in my household can use the pressure cooker safely and successfully when cooking these recipes.
The recipes have not been adapted properly. The publishers have changed the timings for use in a pressure cooker. There are some nice recipes in there, however the methods described in most of them are not suitable when pressure cooking! Thickeners like flour, should not be used to coat meat pre-cooking; sauces should be thickened after cooking as they can stick and burn. Care should be used with some of the liquid quantities;less liquid should be used in a pressure cooker than would be used when cooking in a normal pan or casserole dish etc.
Nice little book apart from this. Although it would have been cheaper for me to just log onto the BBC Good Food website, print off the original recipe, then adapt it myself. Such a shame as the other books I have in this series are pretty good for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for new pressure cooker owner!, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites (Paperback)
Great book, with a good selection of recipes. It is well set out for a good price. Nicely illustrated. Arrived very promptly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook ever!, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites (Paperback)
As the owner of a brand-new, shiny pressure cooker I longed to try different, exciting recipes plus giving old faithfuls the pressure cooker treatment. This book has become my cooking bible. i have made five or six dishes and each has been a triumph. No duds, no mistakes, no also-rans. I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars very comprehensive, 9 Jun 2014
K. Flower (Uxbridge, Middlesex) - See all my reviews
The wide range of recipes from basic to gourmet and the thorough method instructions and pictures make this a "all you need" book for the pressure cooker user

4.0 out of 5 stars good food, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites (Paperback)
full of easy nice dishes and easy to follow instruction a must for any cook who entertains a lot yes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites
Good Food: Pressure Cooker Favourites by Barney Desmazery (Paperback - 10 Oct 2013)
3.99