Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More

on 30 April 2013
I've always been looking for a book like this... therefore I am now a very happy owner of How To Avoid A Soggy Bottom! Firstly, the book looks lovely - a light blue, matte hardcover with tasteful typography and a cute title, something I would happily have in my possession forever. Secondly, the book contains all the fundamentals and essential knowledge for bakers, including several basic recipes which demonstrate these techniques and knowledge.

The book answers many FAQs on baking such as the function of major ingredients such as yeast, eggs, etc. The characteristics of different types of flour, the difference between fairy cakes and cupcakes, how to make crustier bread - these are just some of the many topics explored in this book. Another very helpful aspect is the troubleshooting questions and answers, examples being "Why has my cake sunk in the middle?" "What's the best way to make caramel for a crème caramel?" and of course, "How do I avoid a soggy bottom?"

Every amateur baker must own one of these!

PS: I got it at Waterstones for £12... darn, next time I'll check amazon first!!!
on 10 March 2013
If you love baking, you'll love this book. I haven't been able to put it down and it has great tips on why things go wrong and where ingredients come from etc.
on 19 June 2013
I have all the other GBBOff titles and thought this may be a bit repetitive but it's very informative and even as an experienced baker, there's lots of tips and new things to find out. Some good recipes too.
on 1 May 2013
This book lays out the science of baking in simple English. It is easy to understand and practical. However, if you are an experienced baker, this book is not for you as the information shared is basic. I do like the bits of history given for some bake goods. Overall, an interesting read.
on 12 June 2013
Just what I needed for my soggy bottom!!! Really handy cookery book, more useful than the pile of other celebrity cookbooks I have lurking around!
on 17 February 2016
I bought this to try and get answered all those questions that you only really understand with years of experience. the sort of nuggets of info that Paul and Mary throw out casually during the GBBO! This was quite useful from that perspective. It told me a few things I didn't know. There was a lot of historical information in there about how and when certain techniques had come about which was not un-interesting, but not really what I was expecting.

At the same time I bought the Baking Answer Book The Baking Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask and for me that is the better book for giving you all that extra background information.
on 24 September 2013
I'm a fairly confident amateur baker but thought this would be useful for tips. It's fantastic. It's not really a recipe book although there are recipes in there, mostly just lots of information. Troubleshooting tips, explanations of different techniques and so on. I'm very happy with it, should be a very useful resource.
on 9 August 2015
Bought this for my husband who, since he retired has become a baking fanatic. He absolutely loves this book, says it's easy to understand and has got loads of usual tips, I know he uses it a lot ! it covers every little tip you need for perfect baking and some you didn't even know you wanted to know
on 8 February 2015
Well written book, accessible hints tips and information. Some recipes scattered throughout but far more a baking 'how to' guide! I bought book second hand from marketplace and have to say it was exactly as described in perfect condition. great buy
on 1 December 2013
Bought as a prize for work bake off competition. Bit disappointed but the price reflects the lack of pictures and it's ok