5.0 out of 5 stars Clear recipes, beautiful photographs and the real tastes of India
This is a beautiful book, with plenty of gorgeous photographs and clear recipes. Like in Rick Stein's Spain and Far Eastern Odyssey books, I particularly like the notes in the back of the book which include extras (such as recipes for garam masala, chat masala, naan etc) and information about ingredients, techniques and suppliers.

I've grown up on authentic...
Published 13 months ago by A. Weaver

1.0 out of 5 stars The Recipes Don't Work
Published 14 days ago by Mr. P

‹ Previous | 1 2 362 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars The Recipes Don't Work, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
I am an experienced home curry cook and have travelled and eaten extensively in Bangladesh and, to a lesser extent, in India. I have never been served a south Asian dish I disliked. I really enjoyed Rick's TV programme, so my son, also a curry fan, bought me this book for Christmas. I've now tried about four recipes and there has been something wrong with all of them. The curries simply do not taste nice. Last night I tried the pork curry. I meticulously followed the recipe because of my existing doubts about the book. After fiddling for an hour or more, the curry was so sour that I couldn't serve it. I had to add a significant quantity of sugar just to make it palatable. Sorry Rick, you're a really likeable guy, but something went wrong here. Like other reviewers who couldn't get on with the recipes, I'm going back to Madhur Jaffrey. Rick Stein's India is going to the charity shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
I only received this book last week and I did the Lamb Dopiaza and fish curry using pollack - went down a treat! Can't wait to do more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a mind blasting Curry, Ricky, 22 July 2014
J. A. Vanderschaaf (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
Have both the DVD and the book! Love both. I did not think that Rick Stein being a 'Fish' person would do justice to the meat and vegetarian curries of India, but it is a tribute to this wonderful cuisine that he says "he could go vegetarian with dishes such as these". I am going through the book at present and trying all these absolutely wonderful dishes out. The one vegetable curry I am coming back to again and again is 'Thoran', "Dry curry of cabbage, carrot and coconut" (Pg 72). It is very easy to make and is done in a flash, but the blending of tastes that you get with the fresh coconut is so moreish, that you find yourself eating it greedily, just so you can savour the taste over and over again. It goes with all the meat and fish curries I have made so far.

As to Kashmiri Chilli powder, I happened to be in Queenstown for two weeks and came across it at the Mediterrean Food Market there. Bought some and because the hole to hang the bag up with was punched very close to the contents in the bag, some of the chilli powder had spilled out onto our kitchen counter top. I picked some of the powder up and was expecting a very hot taste in my mouth, but was surprised at the slight tingling. But most of all I really liked the smokey, savoury taste of this chilli powder that compliments all these curries so wonderfully well. I love the bright rich red of the colour of this chilli powder.

I made the 'Lamb Curry with Sweet Potato in Onion Marsala" (Pg 239), but did not use 250g of butter, maybe only about 20g just for the flavour. I love our Kumera, so chopped this up and roasted it in the oven. I used about 1/2 tsp of white pepper instead of the 1 tsp and added the roasted kumera at the end of the cooking time just to heat through and of course I had Thoran with it and Deliah Smiths Pilau. The Shepherds pie (Pg 250) sings. Who wants ordinary shepherds pie when you have the Madras Clubs version. The "Cochin first class Railway Curry" (Pg 254) is fabulous (also with Thoran) and when you cook it, it goes very thick. I just watered it down to the consistency I was happy with as I don't like very watery sauces anyway. I put in only 1 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder and it was perfect.

"British Beef Raj Curry" (Pg 268) was great because it harks back to colonial England, Queen Victoria and the British Raj. I also liked it because it has the very colonial desiccated coconut and sultanas in it. Most early curries in New Zealand were like this. I added the Kachumber salad (Pg 305), sliced banana tossed in desiccated coconut and bought Mango Chutney. "Yesterdays Fish Curry" (Pg 176) is wonderful. Rick is a master at getting all the tastes just right. I used Monkfish instead of Salmon and this worked extremely well. I have a small jar of tamarind paste, so water this down to get the 100ml tamarind liquid required in the recipe. Just for my taste I find that the 500ml of water extra would make the sauce to thin, as there are tomatoes in this dish, so used only around 100ml.

Next on the list I think will be the two egg curries (Pg 116 and 104). I would like to try the other vegetable curries, but I can't go past "Thoran". I have bought 2 coconuts and have drained them and smashed them open and prised the white coconut meat out of it. My sliced fingers can attest to this, but I have now got 2 glad wrap bags of grated fresh coconut in the freezer waiting for my favourite vegetable curry. There is also "Amma's Pork Curry" (Pg 224), "Mr Singhs slow cooked curry" (Pg 251), "Lamb Korma" (Pg 246), "Chicken and rosewater biriyani" (Pg 214), "Butter Chicken" (Pg 210), "Rocky's Chicken Korma" (Pg 190) and so on. Then there is "Nimish" (Pg 281), when I think I can handle all that cream.

This must be the best cookbook on Indian food around at present. Every curry tastes different. They are authentic and absolutely top notch. Ricks book along with Madhur Jeffreys books are all you need to make really great curries. I love the photography and colour in the book and is very reminiscent of the colour I believe you would see in India and the photos of all the curries makes you want a curry more often than you would have wanted in the past. I just love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rick the best book I've invested in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
Every dish I have prepare has been amazing and the flavours are incredible, great pictures and easy to follow recipes.If you like authentic dishes this book is a must have.
It"s great watch TV programme then look recipes up in this fantastic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
Bought this for my husband who loves his Indian cookery. He has already made a couple of dishes and is very pleased with the results. A friend also bought the book and she loves it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
Contains such a wide variety of wonderful recipes that we enjoyed watching Rick Stein cook in the TV series of the same name. Absolutely love this book! Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book interesting recipes., 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
I have the DvD for the series and it really is a must. The book is well presented and the recipes are good

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational to all who love spicy and exotic cuisine., 8 Mar 2014
Amanda (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
Bought as an 'extra' gift for my partner for his birthday last year, he has used it endlessly to cook us some amazing Indian cuisine - and was probably appreciated more than his other gifts! Rick Stein conjures up such a wonderful picture of India and it's cuisine through the book - as well as the TV show - and is a must for anyone for a taste for spicy and exotic food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and great taste, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
A big fan of the show and the book doesn't disappoint. The recipes are easy to follow, can be done at any pace and taste amazing. The ingredients are fairly generic and anything exotic can be found at any ethnic supermarket. The mix of starters, main courses and deserts are good for a flexible menu and incorporates a number of influences from a number of countries. The British beef curry is a particular favourite and is indicative of the majority of his copes in that it only uses a handful of ingredients. A lot of them are minimalist and the extra addition of some simple vegetables can often substitute for some of the meat which is useful for those meals close to payday! A great book and a worthy accompaniment to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing recipes, 29 Nov 2013
Mark Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
Tried a few of these recipes and all worked perfectly. Fantastic better-than-restaurant quality curries. Well worth spending some effort in getting some of the more hard to find ingredients too.

Worth watching the TV series as well if you can.

‹ Previous | 1 2 362 | Next ›

Rick Stein's India
Rick Stein's India by Rick Stein (Hardcover - 6 Jun 2013)
12.00