5.0 out of 5 stars A challenging read! Best not attempted whilst stoned!
This book was chosen by my 8 year old daughter to write a review for her summer holiday homework. Being a fan I also read it and was intrigued by its complexity in travelling from the present to AD120 and BC 2375, not forgetting time to stop off for the doctor to learn about sculpture.

The break in the time line and its eventual solution needs a clear head, but...
Published on 24 Aug 2006 by Nick

3.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who The Stone Rose
Mickey is startled to find a statue of Rose in a museum a statue that is 2,000 years old. The Doctor realises that this means the TARDIS will shortly take them to Ancient Rome, but when it does, he and Rose soon have more on their minds than sculpture.

While the Doctor searches for a missing boy, Rose befriends a girl who claims to know the future a girl whose...
Published 12 months ago by kk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A challenging read! Best not attempted whilst stoned!, 24 Aug 2006

The break in the time line and its eventual solution needs a clear head, but together me and daughter think we've sussed it. Just watch out for the GENIE and be careful what you wish for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic audio book, 23 Jan 2007
Since all of the other reviews on here refer to the actual book, I thought I'd write one for the audio CD. I can't say how it compares to the written book because I haven't got my hands on that yet, but it does say abridged, so some details must be left out.

Anyway, this is the first Doctor Who audio book I've listened to. I have heard how wonderful the Big Finish audio stories are and how much works goes into them, basically being acted out by different people like a radio drama or a read-along adventure, and I when I realised that The Stone Rose was a BBC audio book read by one person, I wondered what it'd be like. I had once listened to a Star Trek novel on tape years ago, and thought it was boring to listen to the entire thing read by one person. But I will say, David Tennant read The Stone Rose, and he did a terrific job. He does wonderful character voices and captures the inflections of Rose and Mickey and even Jackie just right, without actually trying to entirely impersonate them. I love his voice for the G.E.N.I.E. as well. He's great at doing The Doctor (of course!) and then slipping back to the narrative as David Tennant with his Scottish accent. I think after listening to this one it might be a let down by comparison to hear anyone else narrate these books as I've been spoiled! I am going to try and get my hands on Resurrection Casket next.

Aside from the audio aspect, it's just a really fun story too. Jacqueline Rayner really captured the essence of The Doctor and Rose's relationship, which I love so much about the series. The only other modern Who novel I've read is The Clockwise Man, which was good, but I'll rate The Stone Rose a bit better. It's truly a time travel story worthy of Who.

I'm glad these new novels have been good so far. Back in about 1990, I won a set of four Doctor Who novels from Doctor Who magazine. I was thrilled, especially since I live in Canada and the books are harder to come by. But then I ended up disappointed, because they just weren't very good books in my mind. They were the Timewyrm Genesis series ones, and seemed rather moody.

But I highly reccommend The Stone Rose! There's an interview with the author included as well, but for some reason it's not the best quality in audio.

4.0 out of 5 stars An exciting quick read!, 18 April 2006
V. K. Brennan "victoriakate88" (Barnsley, England) - See all my reviews
Throughly enjoyed this book, although i read it in a matter of hours! I suppose this is a good thing as it means i kept wanting to read on, but on the other hand it kind of seemed over before it had began.

I like the relationship between Rose and The Doctor and this one is the most emotional of the first 3 tenth doctor books!

The plot itself is fantastic as it has little twists in and has an unexpected ending as things aren't what they seem!

I read this first of the 3 books and will be reading again to just go back and "figure" things out! Its very easy to read as rather than it being more scientific it is more historial so appeals at that level!

Its definately worth a read and would appeal to anyone even if they haven't watched any of the sereis on television or other books! Great!

4.0 out of 5 stars I think i need a Doctor...., 4 May 2006
This book, was, to quote the good man himself.. Fantastic.

I enjoyed every minute I read it and couldn't put it down-unfortunately that sometimes meant 'forgetting' my work!

Although relatively short, its packed with adventure, excitement and romance. Oh yeh, and humour, (a few references to the last Doctors rather large ears!!) The history aspect is interesting aswell-giving an insight into the lives of Romans and how much they 'valued' their art. I would recommend it if you consider yourself a true-who-fan or a david tennant obsessive. (I fall under both of those categories...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Statuesque, 18 May 2009
The Stone Rose is the seventh original BBC Doctor Who novel to tie-in with the revived series, this time featuring The Tenth Doctor and travelling companion Rose Tyler.
Jacqui Rayner has captured the essence of the newly regenerated Doctor; quirky, manic, fiercely intelligent and prone to the occasional burst of terrible anger. Rose, her neurotic mother Jackie, and on/off boyfriend Mickey Smith are also well written, and Mickey's heartfelt speech upon learning of Rose's `death' is appropriately moving.

The story itself is well-paced and engaging; beginning with Mickey leading Rose, Jackie and the Doctor through a museum, that reveals a 2000 year-old Roman sculpture of Rose. As is his wont, The Doctor immediately whisks Rose off in the TARDIS to Ancient Rome to get to the bottom of the mystery. They soon come across a man whose son has vanished, and encounter a slave who seems to have definite knowledge of the future. The mystery deepens when Rose herself disappears, and the result is a fun historical adventure with a bizarre and fantastical twist at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars To dream for, 4 April 2009
I listened to the audio CD late one night while playing Solitaire on the computer. I thoroughly enjoyed it as an easy listen (not demanding at all).

Then I spent the night dreaming I was Dr Who's assistant! There's something to be said for listening to David Tennant's voice just before you go to sleep!

5.0 out of 5 stars one to listen to again!, 19 July 2008
C. Watt (UK) - See all my reviews
This is the first Doctor Who audio book I've purchased, and the first Doctor Who "book" since my childhood and the time of Peter Davidson.
I was not disappointed by either the story line or the fantastic narrative of David Tennant. There are a few similarities to the recent series 4 story set in Pompei, but to be honest the Stone Rose is a far better idea, though the twist is awfully far fetched. The only problem is it is so compelling you will want to listen to both CDs at the one go - ideal for a long car journey then!

4.0 out of 5 stars stone me, 4 Aug 2006
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
A book that manages to accurately recreate the feel of the tv show, and also provide a story 'too broad for the small screen', which was the original remit of the previous series of novels.

The regular characters all show up and are all recreated superbly. The plot is very involved and full of the kind of technical discussion that you would expect from an episode of star trek. But it's very clever with it. Although it gets so involved at points that I wonder if young readers will be able to get their heads round it. And it may confuse a few older ones as well!

Still, all in all, a decent who novel and worth a look if you want more of them

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't own it., 1 April 2014
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Stone Rose (Mass Market Paperback)
I have not got it,my daughter wanted it, so I bought it for her,she's into Dr who so think she woulld give five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice story, 28 Jan 2014
Good Dr Who story but seems to wander off plot towards the end of the book only to come back on beam at the end.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xac9f5b7c)

Doctor Who: The Stone Rose
Doctor Who: The Stone Rose by Jacqueline Rayner (Mass Market Paperback - 3 May 2012)
5.59