5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellously entertaining and spot on
Wallis Simpson and Churchill in a Dr Who book? What could have been a mess is a truly vibrant and excellent book, very funny in parts. Churchill (what a thing to take on!) is quite believable.The story is great.It's an engrossing and well written book with particularly good dialogue. The only sadness one is left with is that the tv series was never allowed to develop...
Published on 16 Jun 2000 by kit.davies@william-reed.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Breezy but empty
No doubt re-released by the BBC because it provides a credible a continuity-friendly explanation for why Winston Churchill and the 11th Doctor know each other in the TV show, this is a very plain, very simple adventure from Terrance Dicks. The prose is so sparse it's almost empty, which was appropriate for the episode novelisations Dicks grew a reputation for delivering,...
Published 12 months ago by Richard Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars The angry time lord and the man who became a legend in his own time, 9 Jun 2013
Christopher Long "Phone Monkey" (Rugby, UK) - See all my reviews
I know I watched the sixth Doctor on TV. I vaguely remember his trial and I remember people gasping when they found out the truth about the Valeyard. I remember my dad saying he was the best Doctor in years. And I remember the coat. Boy, do I remember that coat. Anyway, when the DW 50th anniversary short stories started to annoy me I figured it was time to take a dip into the real literature. Especially after Shada made me a very happy reader the other year. So when I looked for 6th Doctor stories I knew this was the one to go with. It looked intriguing and, from what I could see, it pleased a lot of people. So I decided I wanted to join their club and, boy, am I happy to be a member. This is a great read. DW fan or not. It's fast, it's clever, it's funny and it shows that Doctor no 6 was one of the greats. Or he can be, when he's in the right hands. Terrance Dicks is very clever man with a mildly funny surname.

4.0 out of 5 stars All that matters is the game, 3 Jun 2013
Greeny (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Terrance Dicks is not the best writer on the planet. He will never win a Booker Prize and he will never be a best seller. However, what Terrance Dicks does is thoroughly entertain his audience, get voices spot on, and provide a well-judged pace. 'Players' is a good example of all of that.

A clever conceit, a good use of history - manipulating real people (Churchill, Hitler, King Edward, Wallis Simpson...). It's a fun ride.

I must say it didn't quite have the pizazz of World Game, but it is still well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who: Players, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who: Players: 50th Anniversary Edition (Paperback)
Arriving on the sun-baked veldt in the middle of the Boer War, the Sixth Doctor is soon involved in the adventures of struggling politician and war correspondent Winston Churchill. Of course, he knows Churchill is destined for great things, but unseen forces seem to be interfering with Winston's historic career. The Doctor suspects the hidden hand of the Players, mysterious beings who regard human history as little more than a game. With time running out, can the Doctor find the right moves to defeat them?

An adventure featuring the Sixth Doctor as played by Colin Baker and his companion Peri

5.0 out of 5 stars the start of the friendship?, 16 Aug 2012
K. J. Astbury (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Players (Paperback)
this is my first novel from the bbc past doctor adventures and i love it my favriout doctor the sixth doctor and one of my faveriout compaions peri brown both are well charcitersd you can almost see the actors saying the words the plot is basic but good time travling beings known as the players are manuplatig history as a game the goal of this game? kill winston churchill to change the outcome world war 2 of course the doctor and peri arrive and throw a spanner in the works also if you do not like the sixth doctor there is a segmant of the novel that swicths to the second doctor also as a side note do you know how in the matt smith episode the victory of the dalek churchill and the doctor know each other well maybe this where they know each other from i've also know that there is later sixth doctor novel where winston and the doctor meet again but aside from this side note i relly like this novel i recommed buying it

Doctor Who: Players: 50th Anniversary Edition
Doctor Who: Players: 50th Anniversary Edition by Terrance Dicks (Paperback - 7 Mar 2013)
5.59