5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a cookbook.
Published on 16 Aug 2012 by Judith Mccafferty

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed to be honest....
Having watched the thoroughly fascinating and atmospheric TV series and having been a long time fan of lovely Ken Hom, I eagerly awaited delivery of this book - a bit of a letdown unfortunately. The recipes are largely 'unexciting', the book captures nothing of the TV series (it's weirdly sterile, to be frank) and, as a previous reviewer said, it'll probably RIP on my...
Published on 19 Sep 2012 by Julia J. B. Clasby

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a cookbook., 16 Aug 2012
Judith Mccafferty (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure: 100 recipes from our journey (Hardcover)
I too won a signed copy from Facebook. This book is not just by Ching,there is an equal input from Ken Hom,the Godfather of Chinese cooking in the West. What I like is the dialogue about each region of China in addition to the recipes,beautiful photography and of course the recipes. I never really cooked noodles as a dish before, just used them as an alternative to rice,but now I am doing dishes with them as the starring role! I particlarly liked the Beijing/Sichuan Zhajiang noodles. Most dishes I have tried contain ginger ,chilli,chilli bean sauce,szechuan peppercorns, sorry but none could be described as bland, they are multilayered spicy delights which are a joy to the palate.Taste after all is subjective,I would not entertain a vindaloo tho I can eat hotter curries than most!
Yes this book necessitated a trip to a Chinese supermarket as I live in rural East Yorkshire, but I am one happy camper! Several of the pages are already splashed,sign of a good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exploring China - A Culinary Adventure, 8 Sep 2012
Having watched the TV programme without fail, I was very excited to see that there was a book as well - which was then given to me as a gift (even better!).

It is full of gorgeous pictures of China, as well as many of the dishes made in the TV show, and the recipes are on the whole easy to follow - if you have the right tools.

This is where the book loses one star from me, some of the recipes are just not practical to do in your average kitchen. One recipe calls for the smoking of a duck over wood chips. The other slight disappointment is that not every recipe has a photo to show you how it is supposed to look, and whilst this is not a necessity, it is something that I do like in cookbooks.

However, I am very glad that I now have this book, it would have been great to have had it before the programme finished, so that I could cook recipes to watch with the show, but on the whole it is a lovely cookbook.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Enjoyable Book, 25 Oct 2012
Mr. Rj Martin "rob_bhafc" (Surrey) - See all my reviews
Bought this from danzigdespatch whose price was the best anywhere. They took great care in their packaging before shipping so my copy arrived in pristine condition-downside was that it took ages to get to the book itself because it was packed so well (I'm kidding, it was good to see a company take that much care).

The book itself is full of interesting recipes, photos and the recipes themselves are clearly written and easy to follow. Thankfully I already own 3 of Ching's books so many of the ingredients are in my 'store cupboard' waiting to be put to use.

I've seen some criticism of this book and for the life of me can't understand why-except we are all different and it clearly doesn't appeal to all. Personally, I'd recommend it as a good introduction to authentic Chinese food that can be easily made at home without massive expenditure on new cookware-especially if you already own a wok. It is not in any way 'cheffie' devoid of pretentiousness, just straight forward cooking and presentation. No smears of jus on a plate but plenty of tasty dishes ready quite quickly, in many cases served Chinese style in a single bowl.

Foodies should enjoy this and those looking for an introduction to Chinese cooking could do a lot worse than starting with this book because Ken Hom and Ching have tried hard to make all instructions easy to follow. You might have trouble smoking a Peking Duck but that is probably the only thing most of us won't be able to attempt-everything else seems pretty straight forward and easy.

I'm very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent selection of authentic Chinese recipes with a touch of personality, 15 Aug 2012
Although I did not purchase this book through Amazon, I felt compelled to write a review for it as I felt it justified one! I was one of the lucky people who recieved a free, signed copy of the book by Ching, via a Facebook competition. The book is amazing and features many recipes, hints ands tips along with anecdotes and personal reflections from both Ken and Ching.
Already a die hard Chinese cuisine fan, "Exploring China" has re - inspired me to get wokking again and experience the many delights of Chinese food. The accompanying TV series is also worth watching as it helps to bring the book to life and is full of humour, colour and passion. I want to thank Ching and Ken for their hard work, determination and love of their cultural heritage! Xie Xie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to anybody's kitchen bookcase., 20 Mar 2014
Great book by Ching-He and Ken great combination, good tasty food and simple to cook. Great addition to anybody's kitchen bookcase who likes to cook Chinese food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Aug 2013
Really like this. The book does not include tons of dishes, but more carefully selected ones. All of them are placed in a geographical and cultural context, which is brilliant. Super section on Peking duck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and delicious Chinese recipes., 11 Oct 2012
A great book full of new ideas and a revision of some old favourites.Two great chefs come together to produce a refreshing culinary trip through China.A must read and a must try as far as food goes.it also manages to put a lot of Chinese restaurants to shame as the food comes out more robust and flavouful.Enjoy it,its well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exploring China - Ken Hom & Ching-He Huang, 9 Oct 2012
Maggie S "MDS" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
Item arrived before expiry date and in good condition. Perfect recipes for dinners with friends. Easy to understand and make up dishes. A worthwhile addition to a culinery collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some excellent recipes, 26 Sep 2012
Kirk Bateman "xmpp tinkerer" (Cardiff, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is about the kindle version.

The recipes and history are really good and interesting, I can see myself making more Chinese dishes as always happens with books by these two authors and amazing cooks.

However, the design and layout of the kindle version is somewhat of a let down, I've seen FAR better done as PDF magazines and other kindle books have been better, minor gripe but if its going to look like an amateur book to kindle conversion then the pricing structure for ebooks is far too expensive relative to the hardback or paperback version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Different, 25 Sep 2012
Nigel Corrigan (UK) - See all my reviews
Fantastic book. Providing you can source the ingredients the recipes are well written, easy to follow and above all TASTY. The contents are truly different from the usual wok fare found in Chinese cookery books (nothing wrong with those by the way) but this takes my Chinese to another level.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure: 100 recipes from our journey
Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure: 100 recipes from our journey by Ching-He Huang (Hardcover - 19 July 2012)