on 4 August 2012
Bought this as a present for my husband who loved watching the TV series.Not only has he enjoyed reading this book but my brother said he would like it as a present too after reading a few sections.I have yet to read more than a few pages but would have liked to see a few more photos included as I think that can help bring the a book like this to life.
Think it's a brilliant book especially if you know the streets/areas mentioned in the book (as my husband does )as it can bring back memories or fill in the missing gaps!!
on 20 June 2012
As a book it's able to cover stories that the television series can't. It includes fascinating and sometimes surprising details about the history of each street. It doesn't quite bring the history to life in the way that the programmes in this series have so far, but it is an absolutely fascinating, brilliantly researched social history and well worth the read. Recommended.
on 31 May 2012
As someone who had lived in London for over twenty years I found this book fascinating. So interesting to read about areas that I either used to work in or passed through on a regular basis. This book highlights what an amazing city London is. I highly recommend it.
on 30 July 2012
If you are interested in the history of everyday people, then this is the book for you. It would have been perfect if there where more images, but a great book all the same.
on 30 March 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed the tv series which ran alongside this book, especially as I'm into genealogy, and the vast majority of my ancestors came from London. The book encouraged me to look a little more closely into the areas featured in the book, then neighbouring areas where my ancestors came from. My only tiny criticism that it would have been useful to have modern map of each area featured, for comparison, but Googlemaps proved useful for that. all in all, a very good book, but I don't know how interesting it would be without the tv series, or for someone who hasn't a real interest in these particular London areas.
on 21 August 2012
This is the tie in to the TV series of the same name. Has far more detail that they could not cover in the TV series, or that could not transfer to the screen.

Fascinating look at the six streets around the capital. Fro Portman Road to Camberwell Green.

Looks at the survey that Booth did at the end of the Victorian age, and looks how the demographics changed over the 20th Century and into the 21st.
on 31 March 2016
Plus ca change . . . I hadn't seen the TV programme but heard about this book on Radio 4's Start the Week. If you're interested in any two of the following|: social history, inequality, London, architecture and buildings, the never-ending battle between central and local governments, shopping, home improvement, style, health, fashion, people generally - in fact, just about anything - then you will find this a great read. Very well researched, very relevant to our lives today, very informative, very thought provoking and very, very engagingly written.
on 15 July 2012
A good read for anyone interested in this area of London - was was born in St Olaves Hospital, Rotherhithe so found it a good read.
on 10 September 2014
A book linked to the TV series is always of interest and this does not disappoint. The text is easy to read as it is double spaced and the facts contained in each chapter are quite fascinating. There are a number of photographs but if I see the gypsy encampment in Notting Dale once more I shall probably scream. Nevertherless this is a great read.
on 19 February 2014
This is a real gem which shows us how much there is to unearth about the history of the local areas in which we live. It takes us to five very different areas of London and guides us through the social and often personal histories of the people that lived there.