Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 February 2012
Having watched M. Blanc cooking simple, and not so simple, recipes on TV, I thought this book might be interesting.
When I looked through it, it was.
Plenty of simple, effective, and not over extravagant recipes.
Well worth the purchase.My Kitchen Table: 100 Recipes for Entertaining
on 11 May 2012
Sadly, disappointed with this book and guess it offers great value for the price but was not prepared for the small size and the overlap with the other books I have. I bought it for a friend as a pressie but it has gone in my cupboard as it was unsuitable to give as not special enough. Also the recipes are not as fun and exciting as in his other books.

My favourite all time book is his Blanc Vite... my bible for quick and scrummy food. Instead, I would recommend buying this second hand as it's expensive new. Just emailed friends with the clam and mussel recipe which is a 5 minute wonder!! However, there is no better chef in my eyes so please Raymond if you are reading... keep coming out with those books and TV programmes and if you are looking for someone to sample before you print... yes I would gladly offer to help!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 December 2015
All the "My Kitchen Table" recipe books are worth their money - they're all easy to follow, step by step recipes, one on each page, with a full colour photo of the finished dish, but I was a little wary of "Recipes for Entertaining" by Raymond Blanc at first, because I envisaged elaborate recipes involving a lot of expertise, expensive ingredients and loads of kitchen paraphernalia.

I have too many ghastly memories of 'entertaining' with curdled sauces, main course slowly cremating while the starter was nowhere near ready. The guests may have found this vastly entertaining. I didn't. I used to become mortified. Like the dinner.

But happily, I was wrong about this book on all counts. Most of these recipes are simplicity itself, with the same modus operandi of all the "My Kitchen Table" books. Many of these dishes can be made in advance and 'finished off' before serving without much fuss - this applies to all the sections in this book which comprises a comprehensive list of Starters, Mains and Puds.

Quite a few are 'one pot' dishes done in the oven. French inspired, rustic. Proper food, just how it should be.
Raymond shows you how.
This book lives on my windowsill now, along with Mary Berry who's taught me how bake cakes, and Daniel Stevens (River Cottage Handbook No 3) who's shown me how to bake really good bread.

The title says "Recipes for Entertaining" but the dishes in this recipe book are just as good for family meals as they are delicious for when you do have people come round to share your food.

Raymond Blanc is one of my heroes for giving up 100 of his recipes in this paperback format book, and for getting me away from that mindset that 'entertaining' was hell.
'Sharing food' that you've cooked doesn't have to be like the final of Masterchef.
on 30 January 2012
excellent book as usual from the master. always a delight to read and easy to follow recipes with great photos
on 26 November 2014
The thing I like about Blanc is that he does (in this book) pretty much the simple unglam stuff perfectly (even a bit Elizabeth David).Sure you get some repetition - the wine/cream sauce and trout (?) for his TV show in the Jura which is similar to his sherry and cream sauce for chicken in this book. It's pretty much the same and if you stick to his quantities and general detail you cannot fail. I do his pain perdu and tarte au citron all the time and it never fails. OK, so his Frenchified accent is a bit 'allo 'allo but I'd rather chomp his food than any number of over-trendy celeb Brit-chefs any day...
on 28 February 2012
I love Raymond and was excited when this book came out, but so disappointed with the huge duplication with other books of his! Still small, handy and relatively cheap!
on 10 January 2012
Great recipes and easy to follow. Vanilla Ice cream was particularly successful. Good size of book and with a coating that can be wiped clean.
on 1 February 2014
Although the book is excellent the book binding is poor and the pages come loose easily
sorry that I did not rate this at an earlier date.
on 10 February 2012
Blanc at his best - again - read in conjunction with the TV programme 'The Very Hungry Frenchman' - c'est magnifique!!
on 16 January 2014
Raymond Blanc is one of my favourite chefs and so I jumped at the chance to buy this book. The book came a little later than the estimated delivery however when it arrived it was definitely worth it, full of recipes both traditional and modern that I'm already planning to make. The book is not too big in size and so is very easy to store and not to get in the way.
Very impressed, a great buy.