5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great!
(Review by my 15 Year-Old Son)
Published 2 months ago by G. K. Griffiths

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre
The main problem with this Torchwood spin-off novel is that it is centred around two utterly dull and shallow characters - Gwen Cooper and her dopey caricature of a husband, Rhys Williams. The story is pretty generic but quite fun, however with barely a glimpse of Captain Jack this can never be a true Torchwood novel but a pale imitation.
Published 9 months ago by Scaroth, Last of the Jagaroth

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great!, 20 Oct 2014
G. K. Griffiths (Wolverhampton, West Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood: First Born (Paperback)
(Review by my 15 Year-Old Son)
Ah, the aftermath of Children Of Earth (the best series of Torchwood, period). The three books published by the BBC are intended to bridge the gap between Children Of Earth and Miracle Day (the series that had so much potential but let it down). First Born is the first of three books that focuses on what happened to Gwen after Children of Earth.

Although I haven't read all three of the "bridge" books, I have to say that First Born will probably be my favourite. Long Time Dead is a book I have yet to read and as for The Men Who Sold The World, I doubt I'll even pick it up. However, I started reading First Born initially thinking that it would be a dull, grey book. I was wrong. Surprsingly, First Born slings you straight into an action sequence in Cardiff. Once this is finished, we are brought to the dull little village of Rawbone. However, the plot thickens here and there are numerous devices to help it out.

The first, is James Goss's characters, they vary from the (usually) calm Scions to disturbing police officers. 9 out of 10 of the supporting characters have backing stories and are generally likeable, my own favourite being the first version of Sebastian. As the story goes on, the tale that Gwen, Rhys and sometimes even baby Anwen tell gets darker and more Torchwood-esque. Goss is also able to write in a short-but-sweet cameo for the former Torchwood 3 leader, Captain Jack.

In conclusion, First Born was a surprisingly great read. Although, I don't hold the same hopes for when I read Long Time Dead, I would definitely recommend this book for anybody who loved series three of Torchwood and wants to explore how Gwen and Rhys coped after Jack's departure. (9/10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent novel, 1 Aug 2012
J Bate (Hartlepool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood: First Born (Paperback)
I bought this book last week from a WH Smith store to take with me on holiday for a week, Thursday to Thursday (I'm still there) and after pacing myselg so it would last the whole week, I finished it this afternoon, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, it got the familiar characters of Gwen and Rhys spot on and I had vivid images of the other characters in my head and who would play them, and could only think of the now deceased Ianto Jones to fit the role of Sebastian, the kind and loving Scion in his sharp suit and habit of making great coffee. The book is written in small chapters, each named as one of the characters, thus letting you know from who's perspective that one is written from. This method of writing works wonders and I found it easy and quicker to read in small chunks.
The story and setting really fitted the series although one couldn't help relate elements to that from the series, (the isolated village - to the episode "countrycide", and the buisness with the children to the ideas in "Children of Earth"), although these where welcome as some of the best elements of the series come from this.
I will say that I would have them make extended specials for television, fitting in with storys like this one, which would make a great tv episode, as opposed to the ghastly longwinded story that is Miracle Day, which I would rather forget to be honest, what with all the americanisation and interference.
It shows however, that the real Torchwood, the proper Torchwood can live on through Gwen and Rhys who keep the flame burning in the absence of Jack, who gets a minimal role in the form of a mention from 30 years ago when the events of the village begun.
As I found myself isolated here in Gran Canaria with little english reading material, I found this book to be very interesting and was stuck to it constantly, it really is a very good novel and I intend to get the other one about Suzie Costello, but may pass on the americanised "Rex Mathisson" one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Torchwood - First Born, 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: Torchwood: First Born (Paperback)
I thought that this book captured the character's of Gwen and Rhys really well, and really brought them to life. The story takes a while to get going and for the first fifty or so pages I was wondering where the whole thing was going, then suddenly it all starts to happen and I was almost kicking myself for not putting two and two together and figuring it out before it was made clear.

I'll be honest and say that I really enjoyed the story up to a certain point, however, I did feel that the last fifty or so pages weren't quite up there with the rest of the story and I almost wanted something a bit more fun and exciting to happen (I'm not sure what, though!)

It's been a while since I've read any of the other Torchwood books so memory wise I can't say whether this is any better or worse than the previous stories. From what I do remember, though, I do feel that this book particular makes Gwen and Rhys jump off the page as in this book they're exactly how they are in the TV series, which I don't remember thinking with some of the others that I have read.

This is a very good and interesting story and if you're a Torchwood fan I'd highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Book, 10 Mar 2014
It's a good book to read, especially as it's just about Gwen and Rhys. It is good in the way you get to read about what's going on from the perspective of both of them in turn. I would recommend this book for all Torchwood Fans to read and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 5 Aug 2013
Another good Torchwood book. Explains a lot of what happened before miracle day. A must read for all fans of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Torchwood: First Born, 10 Mar 2013
John Armstrong "elvis.theking" (Bonnyrigg, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood: First Born (Paperback)
I enjoy all the Torchwood Books and Episodes. I found the story line was the usual intrigue and suspense throughout

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Torchwood novel should be, 17 Sep 2011
This review is from: Torchwood: First Born (Paperback)
This was the best of the 3 most recent Torchwood novels, and one of the better of the whole series.
It contained all the ingredients of a good Torchwood tale, mystery, suspense and aliens. What more do you need. On top of that, it was a great tale that filled in the gaps for Gwen between Children of Earth and Miracle day. Rhys gets a bit more of a role than usual too. Worth a read

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant novel!!, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Torchwood: First Born (Paperback)
This book is one of the best torchwood books i have ever read! It had me turning pages all the way threw and i never wanted to put it down. I especially loved the way the chapters were set out and it gave you everyones perspective! I definately reconmend, a very good read!

4.0 out of 5 stars The best Torchwood novel yet, 30 July 2011
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood: First Born (Paperback)
This novel, the first of three set between series three and four of the Torchwood television programme, is probably the best Torchwood novel I've read. Following the events of 'Children of Earth', Gwen Cooper and husband Rhys Williams, and their baby daughter Anwen, are on the run from mysterious forces. They find themselves staying in a caravan park near a little village on the Welsh coast, but as always, there's something strange going on.

The story is written in the first person, alternating chapter by chapter between predominantly Gwen and Rhys, but also featuring the viewpoints of several new characters when appropriate. I'm not always a fan of this perspective, but found that it really suits the Torchwood style. The voices of both main characters are absolutely spot on, and this has to be the top selling point.

The story takes a little while to get going - there's quite a lot of set-up before we actually get into the adventure, but it doesn't feel wrong - it's just that there's quite a bit of stuff to get through first establishing the situation of the characters. It's a good tale, though it is very definitely the sort of story that I've come to expect in Torchwood novels - fairly simple, nothing too deep of sciencey and very little real explanation at the end.

The book is packed with humour, much of it around Rhys and Gwen coping with a small child, although also with some film references, and this really helps to make this an entertaining read, even to someone who has no experience of such things in real life. I had my doubts about another set of Torchwood books (and was a little disappointed by the absence of matching covers to the previous 15) but if they are all three like this one I will be very satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is brilliant, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Torchwood: First Born (Paperback)
So ? You like lots of action ? You want scary scences ? You like mysteries ? If you answered yes to any of these questions than Torchwood : first born is the book for you .It's brilliant for adults and children ( just the ones that watch Torchwood or Doctor who , or else you won't understand it ) . Buy the book without thinking twice . You could buy the book without thinking once too , and just take my word for it , it's brilliant !
A woman called Gwen Cooper is stranded in the middle of nowhere with her friend Rhys. But they meet some unusual children .

Torchwood: First Born
Torchwood: First Born by James Goss (Paperback - 21 July 2011)