5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended
Published on 5 Aug 2011 by Katie Foley

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
After watching Rick Steins latest escapades on TV I found the book disappointing as the meals he made on TV are not marked as such in the book & there few pictures to compliment them. Amazon however delivered the book in their usual efficient manner.
Published on 9 Oct 2011 by H P Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 5 Aug 2011
Katie Foley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's Spain: 140 New Recipes Inspired by My Journey Off the Beaten Track (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of Rick Stein's cookbooks- from having watched some of his programmes on TV it seems that he writes down recipes that he watches local people make, and that's what goes in the cookbook. Whilst you might therefore have to look a bit further afield to find some of the ingredients, the flavours are authentic, and totally amazing (and he lists stockists, online and high street, at the back of the book)

My husband and I bought this book to take with us on holiday to Spain, where most of the ingredients were readily available. Everything we made was, and has been, absolutely delicious and I would definitely recommend it.

Slightly digressing, but perhaps worth mentioning, is that Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey cookbook is the most amazing cookbook we have ever used- a lot of effort generally to make the spice mixtures and stocks etc. but worth it for the incredible flavours. You will never want to eat takeaway food again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and informative, 9 Jun 2011
tommy j (Wales) - See all my reviews
As a long time Stein fan, and owner of a number of his books, I was not expecting any revelations. Over the years he has developed a great format to his cookery writing. Fantastic photography, simple recipes with easy to follow instructions , but more importantly an honest and interesting introduction to each dish.
What made this book stand out for me, was the excellent subject matter. Spain is a country blessed with a rich culinary tradition, often overlooked in this country in favour of the noisy Italians or the those loveable Frenchies, yet Stein more than does justice to their passion about food and reveals 140 of their best loved regional dishes.
Well done old chap, another belter!

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful addition to my table, 22 Sep 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
In a world where we tend to rush and miss things, it's a real joy when you get chance to savour something not only healthy and delicious but something that you've made yourself. Whilst Rick is well known for his recipes that incorporate the freshest ingredients, it's a wonder when you get the chance to try something a little different and a world away from Curry's or traditional British Cuisine, so I was overjoyed at the chance to get to try something with a Spanish take on it. Not that I don't like our own food, but there are times I yearn for something a little different with tastes and flavours that I can take my time to enjoy.

What this title does, is bring the taste of Spain, with its Moorish influences to the British table. It's full of flavour, the recipes are easy to follow and to be honest, for someone who doesn't eat as much fish as they should, it made more than a welcome addition to my own table. (So far my favourite recipe in here is a Rice Stew with Monkfish, Langoustines and wild mushrooms.) All in it's a great book and one that I'll definitely be using time and again, I just wish that these titles came laminated and ringbound so that they'd be easy to clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem !, 17 July 2011
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, the latest of Rick Steins collection and have tried a couple of recipes both of which were divine, and totally authentic. Ricks style is both engaging and informative and he gives the reader a true sense of the essence of Spanish cooking. Packed full of wonderful recipes and vibrant colourful photography this book will make a wonderful addition to any cooks recipe book library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stein does it again - just, 15 Aug 2011
For many years Rick Stein tried to break away from his hugely successful Padstow experiences and his seminal cookbook - "English Sea Food Cookery". Eventually, he settled on a national/regional approach covering all types of cookery. Stein follows the technique made famous by the very much-lamented Keith Floyd - visit a country and be filmed cooking local dishes for locals using their ingredients and recipes. I have long been an advocate of Spanish cookery, merging Moorish influences with the cuisine of Europe's most powerful civilisation for hundreds of years. If you've only ever been to coastal Spain, take a train to the interior and then you'll know what I mean. Even better, pick a region and do a walking holiday.

So, does Rick capture the richness of Spanish cuisine? In a word, barely. There are two reasons for this: first, pictures - there are too many. Then, there's the problem of regions. Spain (and Italy) are amalgamations of fiercely-independent former kingdoms, so the cuisines of both countries are developed most strongly on a regional basis. Encapsulating this regional diversity in a single book is nearly impossible. It can be done - witness Janet Mendel's brilliant "Cooking in Spain". On the other hand, Rick has a way with words, particularly with respect to food snobbery - "If you don't like offal, you're barking!" Amen to that! Typical recipes I have tried:- 'slow-cooked lamb with dried chilli, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic and thyme' - heaven, 'cuttlefish with meatballs and peas' - meatballs!! - yes, but not as you know them, 'scrambled eggs with asparagus, wild mushrooms, and truffle oil' - like an omelette, but better. As you work your way through this book (which you will), you will notice some distinct similarities with classic French dishes. Clever Spain, copying Europe's most famed cuisine. Actually, it's the other way round! When Napolean's armies poured into Spain in 1807, and then poured back again under the onslaught of guerillas and Wellington, they documented the cookery and absorbed it into what became codified French cuisine in the later 19th century. So, clever French! As an introduction to a great cuisine this is a very good book. But, be warned, you'll end up buying more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Stein Gem!, 13 Jun 2011
I have just received this book today, an early birthday present we'll call it. Although I have only looked through the book thus far I can instantly see it will be a well used book, as all of his are in my house! Wonderfully evocative photography, his usual wit and inspiring wording jumping out from every page. His great format of giving a mini story of each dish, how and where he tried it etc, working it's usual charm and giving each dish, however small or grand, a sense of importance and theatre. With family in Spain, and having holidayed there several times, I have tried much regional Spanish cookery and can say that his representations are precise, untampered with and great to eat! Another Stein Gem to add to your collection. Or if you're a first time buyer of Ricks work I'll bet you'll be buying his other books in no time! Muchas gracias por todo Ricky!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seen the series, now bought the book, 8 Aug 2011
I really enjoyed the series on BBC, so much so that I bought the book after one episode and I have not been disappointed. The passion that is in the series is equally present in the book. 10/10 and I've just ordered the DVD, an essential reference guide to what I hope is not only a culinary experience but the template for future holiday journeys. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Stein's Spain, 13 Jun 2011
Wow. Only received this book last week and have already spent quite a few hours picking it up and reading stories and the wonderful recipes. I have around 6 Rick Stein's recipe books - from different parts of the world and also his older books. As always a beautiful read and extremely easy to follow recipes. It is so wonderfully written that It made me even feel as if I was in Spain. And have only got to less than a 1/4 of the book. Highly recommend but also recommend his mediteranian, italy and seafood odyssey. Excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely book, 10 Jan 2012
I was given Rick Stein's Spain for Christmas and it is a lovely book. It is more interesting than just a 'cook book'. I find his descriptions of the Spanish culture and regions just as interesting as the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars More to Spain than you Think!, 10 Nov 2011
Many other cookery books on Spanish food are dull and dreary. Not this one - in fact as I write my wife is attacking one of the recipes with vigour. Makes you want to go to Spain more often and search out good food. Alas, my regular haunts are either cheap and not so cheerful or seriously expensive and not that good either.

Pimientos padron (I think!) what a great tapas dish if only I could find the wretched things in England!

Nice one Rick!