Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 August 2014
I wish I'd bought this years ago. Received the book just over a week ago and have already cooked 4 different meals from this book - I can honestly say I've surprised myself with how good the food I've cooked tastes! I'd seen that Gok's book was currently the best seller in Chinese cookbooks and really considered getting that instead (I've resorted to recording his show to get his versions of Ken's recipes instead). Decided to go for Ken in the end as you get over 200 recipes in his book compared to 70 odd from Gok and just wanted the variety to start of with really. A week in and I'm so happy I went with this choice. The book has already opened my eyes as to just how easy, healthy and tasty traditional Chinese food is. My boyfriend actually commented that he prefers this food to high street Chinese takeaways. Having said that there are some of the takeaway favourites included in this book such as chow mein, Singapore noodles, sichuan duck and the best recipe for egg fried rice I've ever experienced.

I know some other reviewers have commented that Ken occasionally throws instructions into his recipes that are not then fully broken down. This has only occurred once to me and a simple search on google told me how to prepare the food - not rocket science really. Also there's a comprehensive section at the beginning of the book that explains a lot more about the history of Chinese food, ingredients and cooking methods if people bother to read that - definitely recommend it.

The only change I would wish is that every recipe came with a picture (over half do but by no means all). This is more just because I like perusing through the book when planning for meals and would appreciate more pictures but that's hardly a quibble when the food tastes so good regardless of pictures. Would definitely recommend this book for anyone that wants to begin a venture into Chinese cooking at home :)
on 1 January 2014
Bought has a birthday present for my cousin who is away working in China and I keep getting messages saying this is a fab book
on 27 October 2015
fabulous - great recipes and offers alternatives for hard to get items - have made many of the meals - love this book/chef
on 16 February 2014
I absolutely love this book! The recipes are easy to follow and the food is out of this world. Cant get enough
on 30 March 2016
Had to follow up some of the recipes with my own research to get closer to the real thing.
on 19 February 2011
Bought this book to cook a valentines dinner for my boyfriend. Went for the Sichuan Prawns and it went down a treat! Have tried out a couple more recipes since and all been really tasty!!
on 13 November 2014
Really easy to follow recipes. Delicious. Working my way through the book now.
on 11 December 2014
some great recipes in here could have made them easier to follow
on 5 May 2015
very pleased with the product and the seller
on 1 October 2014
Happy with purchase,would use seller again.