5.0 out of 5 stars A roller coaster.
First, I must admit i am a big fan of Alfie Boe, so came to this book with a few stars in my eyes. after reading it I have a new repect for this highly talented man.
The fist chapter, is no gentle introduction,but a rather shocking telling of his awful experience while performing 'The pearl Fishers' for ENO, 2010. An time when he seriously considered giving up his...
Published 22 months ago by jp.rev

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed
I had thought myself quite a fan of Alfie Boe - I have every album, I've seen him on tour, I wear a t-shirt bearing his name and was very excited about reading his autobiography. However, I was left with the feeling that the book was a way of expressing quite a big chip on the shoulder about the opera establishment for not giving him as much attention and adoration as he...
Published 18 months ago by Lucy

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Alfie My story, 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: Alfie: My Story (Hardcover)
This book is at times heartbreaking,funny and testament to Alfies conviction to succeed.He writes as he speaks with spirit and a need to please. Who would have known the struggles he had to make a career for himself and the stamina he had to fulfill his dreams.Thankyou Alfie for a lovely book and for being the true star you have become .A fabulous read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book by a genuinely nice bloke., 19 Sep 2012
Sheila Camp "Sheila" (Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Alfie: My Story (Hardcover)
This is a lovely book and Alfie comes across as a genuinely nice bloke. Having seen interviews with him and heard how "ordinary" (for want of a better word) he talks, you can here him when you read this book.

As Australianarrow says "Reading this book makes you feel as if you have just had a visit from Alfie Boe. Sit down, have a cuppa, and enjoy it". This sums up my thoughts exactly.

Some great photos in the book too right from when he is a youngster. Lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gobsmacking Page Turner, 12 Sep 2012
This review is from: Alfie: My Story (Hardcover)
I hope I'm using "gobsmacking" correctly! (I'm a Yankee) This is a stunning, raw page turner you won't want to put down or read just once. Alfie is a marvelous storyteller who brings you into his life and his emotions as though he were speaking with you, in your living room or at your kitchen table, all night long. You can "hear" his voice and feel his passions and crazy making struggles which are described with gobsmacking openness and honesty. I loved the marvelous family stories which he heard during his youth. These are told with such immediacy that it's hard to imagine he wasn't there himself. It's clear that he came from a storytelling family where his parents genuinely talked with him, and you can imagine him as a little boy, soaking in every word, wide-eyed. That's exactly how I felt reading Alfie's book. It is impossible to read this without being swept up into his emotions - his rage, fears, despairs, longings, love, tenderness... and his humor. The book reveals the thrilling and ghastly struggles he went through for his dreams: confronting rigid, often heartless institutions; meeting artists and addicts; finding his own path through the muck and mire; falling in love; keeping his faith; and discovering people who believed in him and would fight with him, like his relentless, dogged manager, Neil Ferris. Throughout all of this is woven a deeply moving love story - love in all its forms. We get to know more about his funny, magnificent father, whom Alfie has talked of in his best interviews, and their heart-stopping connection which remains unbroken by death. There's Alfie's Mum, a tiny scrappy fighter who I'm sure could protect her entire litter of nine against anyone in Lancashire. And there's Sarah, his wife. Alfie describes his love at first sight, the besotted clumsy awe he still feels, and the way she has gone through his struggles like a heroine riding shotgun, while finding ways to maintain a semblance of sanity. His stories of his Dad, dying in Alfie's arms, and of delivering his own son, reveal the bonds and continuity Alfie treasures most within his life - Family. And, of course, there are hilarious, at times horrific tales of friends, as eclectic as his music. Alfie makes it all look so easy these days - it's truly gobsmacking to discover how this spellbinding performer, who has been though so much, has been able to rip open his shirt and reveal his heart, as he did as Jean Valjean on his closing night at Queens, so very, very generously to us in this terrific, first, autobiography.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 22 Dec 2012
Mr. I. S. Broadhead (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alfie: My Story (Hardcover)
I was slightly disappointed with this offering. After buying Alfie's recent albums I was intrigued to see what had led to him reaching this point of his career.
I enjoyed the early part of the book focusing on his childhood and early life but then the rest of the book mostly seem to consist of him ranting against the opera establishment. Very little about his recent success in Les Mis.
It will be interesting to see if his reference to his wife sitting on Jimmy Saville's knee will be removed from the paperback version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Autobiography, 26 Oct 2012
Mr. G. Johns "Master Mason 6407" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Alfie: My Story (Hardcover)
It was thanks to Classic FM that I heard about Alfie Boe - straight away I realised that he was worth listening to, especially as he wasn't one of the posh opera singers we are used to - in fact is the first official 'bad boy' of the genre. Last year I was honoured to attend The Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall, and witnessed Alfie singing 'Over The Hills And Far Away' - from the 'Sharpe' series on TV - AWESOME!
As soon as I heard that Amazon was selling this book I immediately pre-ordered it and waited for it, with some impatience, to arrive. Well, I've read it and thoroughly enjoyed it, and realised that his life, in certain ways, paralelled mine (without the singing I hasten to add!), and the fact that he says it as it is, not how others want to hear! Keep it up Alfie, enjoy your life, family and keep on saying what you think. "It's exactly what it says on the tin" to paraphrase a well known advertisement...

5.0 out of 5 stars alfie boe, 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: Alfie: My Story (Hardcover)
Oh my what a wonderful story. Made me cry. This has been written just the way Alfie speaks and as you read you feel like he is reading it out loud to you. What a lovely story of his life, heartwarming, amusing, honest and interesting. I will read this book again and again and have already told my family to read it. If you love Alfie you will love this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
WONDERFUL

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Alfie Boe, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Alfie: My Story (Kindle Edition)
Really good read just an ordinary guy with an amazing voice and good family values and work ethic.

I'm a fan xx

5.0 out of 5 stars alfie cruise, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Alfie: My Story (Paperback)
because I bought the book because had booked a cruise on which alfie was perfoming so I had time to read the book before I saw him on the cruise

5.0 out of 5 stars very good read, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Alfie: My Story (Kindle Edition)
down to earth and fascinating to read about his ordinary working class beginnings and his hard work to achieve his well deserved
stardom.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

Alfie: My Story
Alfie: My Story by Alfie Boe (Paperback - 14 Feb 2013)
5.59