4.0 out of 5 stars Modern, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Shine Shine Shine (Kindle Edition)
Really interesting novel. I read it in one sitting, cried, smiled and remained slightly puzzled. Very powerful and moving story and I am really not sure what happens at the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, beautiful book, 7 May 2014
Jenny Watson (Farnborough, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shine Shine Shine (Kindle Edition)
It's a beautiful book, well-written, unusual and a real page-turner at the same time. The characters have stayed with me. I can't wait to read more of her work.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robots in Space: A Love Story, 5 Aug 2012
This review is from: Shine Shine Shine (Hardcover)
"Shine Shine Shine" deftly explores the dichotomy between fulfilling your own destiny vs. living to please others. It also explores the nature of illness. What constitutes individuality vs. the pressure of conformity and the need to be part of the group? When does uniqueness spill into mental illness?

As I read I kept trying to define the tone of this book. Quirky? Somewhat but the tone is beyond that. Whimsical? Yes it is that but not in a childlike way. Fanciful? A little but the action feels grounded in reality, at least emotional honesty. In the end I have to conclude there is no exact word that will precisely define "Shine"; it's too unique. Netzer writes in a genre all her own. There are times that the book threatens to spill syrup but she always skirts that stickiness. There isn't a misstep anywhere. She's not hitting you over the head with beliefs, she's exploring with you as an equal. She affirms that everyone has something that makes them feel odd, sets them apart. Some of these traits are superficial, some more profound. We can either change are differences if possible or we can embrace them and attempt to use them to our advantage. Netzer's characters grow into themselves. Their love and regard for one another strengthens. Almost best of all nothing feels inevitable in "Shine". The reader is always left guessing where we're heading. Netzer's is one of the freshest voices of 2012 in my opinion. We're not robots. Uniqueness is grand. I want to stay on her spaceship.

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story with a twist, 5 Sep 2012
This review is from: Shine Shine Shine (Hardcover)
A love story with a twist, this book oscillates effortlessly between the past and present. An entertaining yet thought provoking read. This is a great sun lounger book for anyone who likes an easy read with intelligent content.

Shine Shine Shine
Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer (Hardcover - 19 July 2012)
7.79