4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Jake Humphrey
Really enjoyed reading this. After watching Jake present the Formula 1 for the last few years it was fascinating read for me. Would recommend this to anyone as it's really easy reading and well put together.
Published on 11 Dec. 2012 by Andrew Jackson

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong title... Wrong book
This book is misnamed, it doesn't provide "The Inside Track" or anything close to it. Maybe that contributed to setting my expectation levels too high, but either way I was massively disappointed by the anodyne, bland and sterile writing style. Jake seems to have one eye on a return to F1 presenting in the future and clearly goes to great lengths not to cause...
Published on 30 Dec. 2012 by Natterjak

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, 2 April 2013
This review is from: The Inside Track: Paddocks, Pit Stops and Tales of My Life in the Fast Lane (Paperback)
This book is massively deceiving. I'm a big F1 fan, so thought a book titled "the inside track" and purporting to contain "tales of my life in the fast lane" would provide some insight into Jake's years spent fronting the BBC F1 coverage from a funny anecdote or a behind the scenes point of view. Instead, what I bought was 260 pages of dumbed-down explanation as to what F1 is and how it works, as if it were being explained to an F1 newcomer.

It does hint at some of what Jake saw when on the road, such as Sebastian Vettel's celebrations after the 2011 British Grand Prix, but it's over and done with inside a sentence, and these moments can be counted on one hand throughout the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a big Jake Humprey fan but slightly disappointed., 12 Nov. 2012
R. Carville (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
I'm a massive BBC F1 fan, I've never missed a race and feel that Jake is maybe the best sports presenter there is, yet I find myself disappointed with his book. I assumed that it would be full of behind the scenes stories of what it's like to work with Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard and what drivers get up to during a race weekend but there was none of that. All he really wrote about was the facts of F1 which most F1 geeks such as myself already know! I also expected the book to be a little bit longer as it was only 250 pages, and at £18.99, it's hard to justify the price!

1.0 out of 5 stars A pretty Formula Ford effort..., 23 Mar. 2014
After Humphrey jumped ship from the BBC to present BT's football coverage, there was still time to cash in with this book, supposedly giving an 'insight' into the world of F1. Sadly, this book tells you nothing that even the most casual fan will not already know. According to Humphrey, F1 teams spend a lot of money, work very hard and are always looking to the future not the past. In case you didn't get the message, he'll make the same point again. And then several more times. He starts off one chapter by saying "I find it remarkable that so few people realise just how influential Britain has been for motor racing in general and Formula One in particular." I don't know who Humphrey has been talking to, but I'd imagine most people are well aware of that. Perhaps this book is pitched at those who are complete motorsport/F1 novices, but if that's the case, you could learn far more from pretty much any other F1 book than this underwhelming effort.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, boring, not many real behind the scenes stories, 12 Dec. 2012
I very much enjoy Jake presenting BBC F1 rather than the crap Sky throw out, but this book spends more time waffling on as an introduction to F1 and "what teams do" rather than an actual behind the scenes, detailed account of stories and events. Very disappointed and he's very closed, overly inoffensive and guarding throughout the book, even saying "Sorry I can't say what really goes on". THEN WHY WRITE ABOUT IT? Another Amazon reviewer summed it up perfectly: it's F1 for dummies.

The typeface size used is also huge, which makes the 265 pages significantly shorter.

I regret buying it honestly, please borrow a friends copy first or look at the second hand sales which should be littered with them for a quid pretty soon.

2.0 out of 5 stars A very bland connection of dots, 14 Mar. 2013
This is a very bland and uninteresting book about F1. There is nothing new in it, you or I- the F1 fan - could have written most of it, it is a collection of facts I'm afraid. No anecdotes, no "dish-the-dirt", no great stories from behind the scenes at all. You would think someone leaving a job like that after 4 years would reveal all in a blockbuster. Nothing was revealed..other than that the season started in Australia, then another fly-away race in the Orient...yawn yawn....no input from any of the stars, no stories..working with the likes of Eddie Jordan, Lewis Hamilton, Michael Schumacher etc etc should have provided a veritable biblical size tome...I put it down and restarted it 3 times hoping it would be better if I left it a week or so...sadly no

2.0 out of 5 stars Safe but uninspiring, 15 Nov. 2012
This book is very much like Jake himself , a safe solid professional . How you view this book will be down to what you expect from it .
If , like me you were expecting a good bit of gossip about who does not get on with who or some tit bits of information , then this book does not deliver .
What it does do is give you a beginners guide to F1 and its history . Now if you do not have much knowledge of either then this book is fine but if you do then you will find it a bit boring and so you skip pages of the book .
Jake tries to interweave his experiences of F1 and the history of it but to my mind it does not work .
Conclusion , its well written and safe but if a fan of F1 then there is not much to recommend about this book .

1.0 out of 5 stars ultimately dull, 24 Nov. 2012
Now that Jake is hooking up to a different gravy train I expected some form of honest appraisal of the BBC coverage of F1, the shambolic way the move to Sky was handled and how he inter acts with co commentators past and presesent. But no, this is just a run of the mill look at the world F1 that has been done so many times (& better!) in the past. This was a golden opportunity as I am convinced he had to bite his tongue over many issues - even his thoughts around Martin Brundle splitting the 4 musketeers. Pedestrian.....

2.0 out of 5 stars Tell us something we dont know .... no you havent!!, 12 Mar. 2013
I am sure I am not alone in purchasing this book thinking it would give me an insight into things about F1 I did not know from watching the coverage. However in truth it is just a recall of incidents that happened on the BBC. I learnt absolutely nothing new from reading this book and felt really patronised that I knew nothing about F1. Whilst I do not claim to be an expert; after reading this book I feel I know just about as much as someone who has spent 4 weeks in the paddock

I was really disappointed. I have always felt when watchting the BBC coverage that Jake was the awkward brother of the three - and this book highlights that he never broke into the F1 inner circle of confidence.

I finished the book and was left feeling the JH had told me nothing that I didnt already know and that this book is just a quick way to make a few bucks as he is leaving the presenting job with the BBC.

Nothing against JH personally. However the title of the book left me feeling that I had a valid claim for mis-representation.

Sorry!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not fast enough., 25 Jan. 2014
As an avid F1 fan and having visited most of the European Circuits I was hoping for a bit more from this book, however if your new to F1 then its a good starting module.
Needed more behind the scenes dialouge about the "REAL INSIDE TRACK" and less about Jake.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Jake Humphrey, 11 Dec. 2012