4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Jake Humphrey
Really enjoyed reading this. After watching Jake present the Formula 1 for the last few years it was fascinating read for me. Would recommend this to anyone as it's really easy reading and well put together.
Published 20 months ago by Andrew Jackson

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong title... Wrong book
This book is misnamed, it doesn't provide "The Inside Track" or anything close to it. Maybe that contributed to setting my expectation levels too high, but either way I was massively disappointed by the anodyne, bland and sterile writing style. Jake seems to have one eye on a return to F1 presenting in the future and clearly goes to great lengths not to cause...
Published 20 months ago by Natterjak

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars More baby's formula than than Formula 1, 5 Jan 2013
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Inside Track: Paddocks, Pit Stops and Tales of My Life in the Fast Lane (Paperback)
Oh dear, my most favourite presenter of all time (well, I've excluded Murray Walker) and he comes up with this rather short and not very interesting personalized review of FI in general.

I was fortunate, in a sense that this was given to me as a Christmas prezzy simply because the giver knows I'm a bit of an F1 nerd so I didn't fork out nearly twenty quid. I'm rather longer in the tooth these days so Murray Walker is the man I usually associate with motor sport but Jake fitted into the vacancy on the Beeb's showground and, frankly, did a remarkable job - just why he's gone to the depths of sport now is quite beyond me - but then, football does mesmerize some people.

However, this book is no lasting legacy of his time in the hot seat. This is a shame to put it mildly and one gets the impression that he's covering his back for who knows what in the future. He's young enough to make a comeback and I don't suppose he'll lose his interest in F1 just because he's watching softies kicking a round object about.

The book has been reviewed from both good and bad aspects and I suppose I'm sitting on the fence - mainly, I guess because he did such a good job at the BBC. I have watched, occasionally and usually when I'm abroad, the Sky version of F1 and I thank my lucky stars that I can come back to the BBC. Nobody's indispensable in any job so it would have been great to have more punch in this book. There must be loads going on, back-biting, unfriendly rivalries a la Senna and Prost (surely our favourite Spanish driver, Alonso, has a mad moment or two??), what Bernie said to Jake on occasions and so forth but, regrettably, this is just a picture story about someone's filtered view of F1.

Come on, Jake, now the season's over, give us the low down. You know you can and you know it'll sell like hot exhausts.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inside Outside In, 2 Jan 2013
Sweet Acid (London, England) - See all my reviews
From his recent TV sports work - both Formula One and at the Olympics - Jake Humphrey comes across as a nice guy genuienley interested in people and their sports.
Meanwhile on TV with David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan at his side - the three amigoes - he has brought the viewer a lot of fun, insight and access to Formula One. This has been slavishly copied but not rivalled by their competitors since the BBC gave up their exclusive deal ahead of the 2012 season.
So if might be fair to assume that with this background and apparent access "Inside Track" might be a worthwhile read. It isn't. Turgid and slow it blandly tiptoes through the Formula One calendar clearly terrified of offending anyone and not telling you anything new or insightful.
Far better is Beverley Turner's waspish "The Pits", a book that makes you wonder why she worked in the business when she clearly disliked it and almost everyone involved in it.
Shame really because I did want "Inside Track" to be a decent read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, boring, not many real behind the scenes stories, 12 Dec 2012
I very much enjoy Jake presenting BBC F1 rather than the crap Sky throw out, but this book spends more time waffling on as an introduction to F1 and "what teams do" rather than an actual behind the scenes, detailed account of stories and events. Very disappointed and he's very closed, overly inoffensive and guarding throughout the book, even saying "Sorry I can't say what really goes on". THEN WHY WRITE ABOUT IT? Another Amazon reviewer summed it up perfectly: it's F1 for dummies.

The typeface size used is also huge, which makes the 265 pages significantly shorter.

I regret buying it honestly, please borrow a friends copy first or look at the second hand sales which should be littered with them for a quid pretty soon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Safe but uninspiring, 15 Nov 2012
This book is very much like Jake himself , a safe solid professional . How you view this book will be down to what you expect from it .
If , like me you were expecting a good bit of gossip about who does not get on with who or some tit bits of information , then this book does not deliver .
What it does do is give you a beginners guide to F1 and its history . Now if you do not have much knowledge of either then this book is fine but if you do then you will find it a bit boring and so you skip pages of the book .
Jake tries to interweave his experiences of F1 and the history of it but to my mind it does not work .
Conclusion , its well written and safe but if a fan of F1 then there is not much to recommend about this book .

1.0 out of 5 stars ultimately dull, 24 Nov 2012
Now that Jake is hooking up to a different gravy train I expected some form of honest appraisal of the BBC coverage of F1, the shambolic way the move to Sky was handled and how he inter acts with co commentators past and presesent. But no, this is just a run of the mill look at the world F1 that has been done so many times (& better!) in the past. This was a golden opportunity as I am convinced he had to bite his tongue over many issues - even his thoughts around Martin Brundle splitting the 4 musketeers. Pedestrian.....

1.0 out of 5 stars A pretty Formula Ford effort..., 23 Mar 2014
After Humphrey jumped ship from the BBC to present BT's football coverage, there was still time to cash in with this book, supposedly giving an 'insight' into the world of F1. Sadly, this book tells you nothing that even the most casual fan will not already know. According to Humphrey, F1 teams spend a lot of money, work very hard and are always looking to the future not the past. In case you didn't get the message, he'll make the same point again. And then several more times. He starts off one chapter by saying "I find it remarkable that so few people realise just how influential Britain has been for motor racing in general and Formula One in particular." I don't know who Humphrey has been talking to, but I'd imagine most people are well aware of that. Perhaps this book is pitched at those who are complete motorsport/F1 novices, but if that's the case, you could learn far more from pretty much any other F1 book than this underwhelming effort.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not fast enough., 25 Jan 2014
As an avid F1 fan and having visited most of the European Circuits I was hoping for a bit more from this book, however if your new to F1 then its a good starting module.
Needed more behind the scenes dialouge about the "REAL INSIDE TRACK" and less about Jake.

2.0 out of 5 stars A very bland connection of dots, 14 Mar 2013
This is a very bland and uninteresting book about F1. There is nothing new in it, you or I- the F1 fan - could have written most of it, it is a collection of facts I'm afraid. No anecdotes, no "dish-the-dirt", no great stories from behind the scenes at all. You would think someone leaving a job like that after 4 years would reveal all in a blockbuster. Nothing was revealed..other than that the season started in Australia, then another fly-away race in the Orient...yawn yawn....no input from any of the stars, no stories..working with the likes of Eddie Jordan, Lewis Hamilton, Michael Schumacher etc etc should have provided a veritable biblical size tome...I put it down and restarted it 3 times hoping it would be better if I left it a week or so...sadly no

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 27 Dec 2012
Bought as present for Formula One fan. Writing is a bit disappointing and disjointed apparently and didn't fully meet expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Jake Humphrey, 11 Dec 2012