5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Start To The Stantangelo Novels

1.0 out of 5 stars chances by jackie collins
Published 19 months ago by Mrs. Lesley G. Goodall

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Start To The Stantangelo Novels, 27 Sep 1999
This review is from: Chances (Paperback)
Of all the five Santangelo novels Chances has to be my favourite. Gino Santangelo is the best character Jackie Collins has ever created. He's sexy, witty, rude and down right dirty! (just the sort your parents would never let you date)Chances was my first J.Collins novel and I've read it over and over and over. It's fast, steamy and fun. And touches my fave subject - the Mafia. Chances made me laugh, cry and shocked the hell out of me (forgive me, for it was my first J.Collins.) I would recommend this book to anyone with a dirty mind that likes it fast paced. She made a brilliant character when she created Gino Santangelo. (oohh writing this makes me want to read it all over again! And I think I will.)

5.0 out of 5 stars a fast-paced stimulating read, 8 Jan 2000
This review is from: Chances (Paperback)
This is Jackie Collins at her hottest and very best! JC skirts cleverly with the mafia business, never giving too much away, and always leaving the reader wanting more. At times Gino Santangelo is a ruthless, cruel man, then he'll surprise you by acting in complete contradiction, and you find yourself loving him again. The book is far from predictable, and despite some of the least nice events (like murder), it retains a sense of humour that somehow makes you think it was OK to kill that nice guy really. This book is compulsive reading, full of strong characters, lots of action, thrills, and Hollywood gossip. Miss it at your peril, but be warned, you may need heat resistant gloves to turn the pages, because they SIZZLE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 11 Oct 2005
DevJohn01 (Somerset, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chances (Paperback)
If I could give Chances more than five stars I would! Chances is the first Jackie Collins book that I have ever read and I think that I started with the right one.
Chances takes you from 1913 all the way up to 1979 in a tale that begins with Gino Santagelo the infamous mob boss and his rise to power. Gino came from very humble begings, an abusive father, a mother who abandoned him at the sage of five and a damageing stint in a juvinle detention center yet managed to work his way up to owning two of the most successful hotel & casinos in Las Vegas. But once Gino is force into exile his duaghter the beautiful Lucky Santangelo takes over the family business and makes a name for herself as one of the most powerful women in Las Vegas. And lets not forget the story of Carrie and her son Steven. Carrie was forced into prostitution at a very young age and lived a life filled with drugs and alcohol that took her from various whorehouses to running a very successful one of her own, until the birth of her son Steven that is, when she managed to find a better life for her and her son.
This was a brilliantly written story, however, while the chapters that focused on Gino may have been more exciting, Carrie's story was really superbly written. This book is really a great lead in to the second installment of this series 'LUCKY' which I plan to begin reading right away. I give Chances 6 Stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Chances, 12 Sep 2003
This review is from: Chances (Hardcover)
After reading this book in secondary school, it had an impact on my life that I could never imagine. It is the sort of book that you could read again and again. I am now re-reading the same book for the god knows how many times.
Jackie Collins is very straight-forward in her wording and has definitely made this saga of books her best by far.
After reading the first book in the series, the others just seemed to follow very naturally. Now that Jackie Collins has been writing for a long time, sometimes it is a good idea to go bnack to the beginning and start reading again.

1.0 out of 5 stars chances by jackie collins, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Chances (Paperback)
sorry must be too old now for such explicit detail. it insulted my intelligence some what with too much gratuitous information. i feel that this early book was written just to attract money into the bank. i find her later books more exciting. i wouldnt recommend it at all. we do need to change our mindset in the world today and denand better brain food! 50 shades of grey(uugh!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Rags to riches rollercoaster, 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Chances (Paperback)
Chances was exactly the right book at the right time for me. I'd been working very hard and needed a break. Happily, the next weekend was sunny and I was able to spend a lot of it out in the garden with my pink yoga mat (same shade as the book cover, incidentally), a pillow, and this book.

Chances starts in 1977, as crime boss Gino Santangelo is on his way back to New York after a period of exile. Daughter Lucky, who has been running the show in his absence, isn't thrilled and a power struggle seems to be in the offing. Meanwhile, socialite Carrie is on her way to Harlem in response to a mysterious message which she thinks relates to the dark secrets in her past. The date is Wednesday, July 13th. Ring any bells? Not for me, so the blackout came as a surprise, throwing the characters' lives into chaos.

The 1977 storyline is intertwined with the backstories, told in flashback, of Gino and Carrie, and finally all three strands come together - with a twist. I enjoyed all three narratives, but got especially absorbed in the story of Carrie, a young black girl sold into prostitution in the 1920s by her abusive family.

Gino, brought up by a series of foster parents, comes from a similarly bleak background. He chooses a criminal career because it offers scope for his ambitions, which his legitimate job as a mechanic doesn't. His early jobs as a getaway driver are risky, but so is working under cars: a friend is nearly killed when the jack holding up the Cadillac he is working on collapses. At twenty Gino is building a bootleg empire. At forty, wealthy, feared and respected, he is building Las Vegas. But he has to pay a terrible price for his success, and in more than one way.

His daughter, Lucky, is probably Jackie Collins's best-known character. She is very much a product of second-wave feminism. Trapped in an elevator during the blackout with Carrie's son Stephen, Lucky corrects him when he addresses her as Miss: it's Miz. Later, at his apartment (after a night spent trapped in the lift), when he suggests she could make them breakfast, she explains that she can't cook. Anyone further from the insecure, self-deprecating, slip-dress-wearing, barefoot, cupcake-baking (but burning the cakes, of course, because she's such a ditz) heroine prancing across the pastel covers of chicklit from here to eternity cannot be imagined. Thank God.

I found that while the book didn't skimp on either sex or violence, these scenes were never gratuitous. They are there to tell the story. And it's a great story. Not perfect: I had to suspend disbelief about Gino masterminding a criminal empire while staying clear of both prostitution and narcotics, and I would have liked more detail to convince me of Carrie's transformation from call girl to society wife - I think it could be done, but not without a major crash course in speech, etiquette, fashion and a lot else.

Bottom line: Chances is an exhilarating rags-to-riches rollercoaster. I'm looking forward to reading the sequels.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't put it down!, 5 Nov 2003
SLP (Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chances (Hardcover)
This gripping novel contains the 'usual' JK style but with a sprinkle of innocence. (As one of her earliest peices) The very beginning of Gino & Lucky, evidently written as she explores her own path of inspiration. Page after page of cleverly scripted material which delivers mind sharpening activity & real emotion like no other!
I have read nearly all of her novels, but this one is hard to match, let-alone beat! So Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Chances (Kindle Edition)
My first jackie Collins book and I could not put it down. A must read. Look forward to reading more of jackies work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Chances (Lucky Santangelo 1) (Paperback)
My second ever Jackie Collins book and I loved it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Chances (Kindle Edition)
I have not quite finished it but am thoroughly enjoying it, so much so that I have purchased the next volume in the series. Will post review when finished that.

Chances (Lucky Santangelo 1)
Chances (Lucky Santangelo 1) by Jackie Collins (Paperback - 14 Mar 2013)
5.59