5.0 out of 5 stars A Wildly Delicious Read!
Ms. Cole's latest effort is "wildly" delicious and entertaining. She has taken the paranormal genre and created her very own legends and lore...filled with ultra entertaining characters.
Published on 10 April 2006 by Kristi Ahlers

3.0 out of 5 stars Okayish. Bit slow.
I'll put my cards on the table and admit straight off the bat that I usually read thrillers. I was given the full series of Immortals After Dark to read by a woman I know.

Love-hungry teenage schoolgirls may be the demographic for these books rather than middle-aged men, so bare this in mind when I describe it as being a bit amateurish and simple. It had two...
Published on 30 Dec. 2012 by Snowman

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wildly Delicious Read!, 10 April 2006
Kristi Ahlers (Illinois) - See all my reviews
Emmaline is half vampire and half Valkyrie. She is known in her coven as Emma the timid. Her family is shocked when she decides she wants to travel to Paris alone to find out the truth about her father. While there she is attacked by a handsome, yummy, strong, yummy, scary...oh yes yummy man who scares the stuffing out of her. She is even more shocked to find out that in order to return to Louisiana she will have to help Lachlain MacRieve the leader of a Lykae Clan return to his home in Scotland. She'll do it believing she will be allowed to return home. She has no idea Lachlain is her forever mate and he has no plans on ever letting her get away.
Lachlain has spent the last hundred and fifty years being tortured by the vampire Demestriu. He is slowly going mad and then...he scents his mate. He has been waiting an eternity to find her and he is not going to let her get away now. He is shocked and somewhat disgusted when he finds out his long awaited mate is half vampire. But despite this he can't keep himself from feeling things for the wee little Emma. She fires his blood and he will do what he must to keep her...even if it means to lie to her. Anything to get her home to Scotland where he will be able to keep her safe and protected when he goes to get revenge against Demestriu. But, life doesn't always go according to plan and wooing Emma is just one of those things. Will he be able to keep her safe and with him or will the vampire horde take away the one thing he needs to live?
Lachlain and Emma are wonderfully constructed characters. These two are both strong likeable characters. Their conflict is entertaining as is their way of dealing with what they face. Emma is sassy and quick witted...Lachlain is patient and yummy. This is a great new series and I truly can't wait for the next installment. Ms. Cole has made her mark on the paranormal genre and is an author you need to add to your must read list!

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG! This is outstanding!, 25 May 2006
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
After enduring fifteen decades of torture from the vampire horde, Lachlain MacRieve, king of the Lykae Clan, finally scents the predestined mate he has waited millennia for. He does the unthinkable to escape and track her down. But upon doing so, he is enraged to find that she is a vampire, a bloody leech! It hardly matters that Emmaline is half Valkyrie too. Yet she is the one, no question about it.

Emmaline "Emma" Troy never knew her parents. She grew up with a coven of Valkyries at Val Hall Manor, just outside New Orleans. At the young age of seventy, Emma sets out to uncover the truth about her deceased parents - until a powerful Lykae claims her as his mate and forces her back to his ancestral Scottish castle. There, her fear of the Lykae, and their notorious dark desires, ebbs as Lachlain begins a slow, wicked seduction to mark her as his - forever!

As the Valkyries prepare for war to get Emma back and Lachlain vows to never release her, there is another ancient evil searching for Emma. Will their desire deepen into a love that can bring a proud warrior to his knees and turn a gentle beauty into the fighter she was born to be?

***** OMG! You have GOT to read this one! If I ever find this title in hardback I will not hesitate to buy it. I plan to search the book clubs immediately. But I simply had to spread the word about this enthralling series! Author Kresley Cole has created a world that DEMANDS another visit from readers. I was so engrossed in reading it that my husband asked if I had super glued my eyes to the pages. I can hardly wait until "No Rest for the Wicked" is released later this year. Do not worry, each title is a stand alone story. But the author will have her hands full to top this one. On a side note, my favorite secondary character is Nïx. She is a soothsayer. Uh, excuse me, she is "predeterminationally abled". I look forward to seeing her again! *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet couple!!!, 26 May 2010
I find it disturbing when the majority of romance books I am reading, contains sexual attractiveness, but severely lacking in foundations setting up the falling in love scenario and fall short in characterisation development to create profound connection between the h/h. Needless to say, this book did not disappoint me and the connection between Lachlain and Emmaline was exiting and the author actually spent some time to fully develop their characters as well as their growing feelings to one another. I dare to say, that I was not impressed at first with Lachlan's motives upon Emmaline, but it was after reviled the reason behind it (thank goodness) and I was satisfied with both the hero and heroin's point of views and I could easily relate to the complexity of divergence between them.

Aside from the romance, there is a good plot of secondary characters and adventure in particular, I found interesting, when Emmaline struggled to come face to face with her own father as being her enemy and how she actually managed to overcome her own fears and did the right thing to do. I found Emmaline very innocence, non materialistic, brave and independent and the whole combination was so refreshing! Lochlain was more complex, but that just added the mystery and sexiness to his character which blended well with his softer side, as being protective and determine. My major highlight of the book was when Lochlain actually admitted to himself the mistakes and hurt he caused Emmaline and the immediate remorse he felt it which melted my heart and I could forgive him his flaws. I will mention brefly that the sexual context is spicy but not too overdone to spoil the delicacy of their romance and I quite enjoyed the interactions between the two, prior, that I could feel there was love attached to it and not just sex.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sizzling!!, 31 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
A new paranormal series - Lachlain is a werewolf who has been captured in chains by vampires for 150 years repeatedly burned and reincarnated. Only the knowledge that his mate exists keeps him going, then one day he "scents" her and gets free. The problem is of course that his mate is a vampire - or is she?
This is an excellent new series and the development of both characters and the will they won't they interactions is definately worth waiting for - a good read!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Paranormal romance at its bes, 20 April 2011
This review is from: A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark) (Paperback)
My thoughts:

I actually started with book 10 or so, fell deeply in love and knew that this was the paranormal romance series for me. So I read book 1, which is a novella (you can get it for free on her website), and then this book. And what I felt then I felt again, she is so good!

At first I was a bit taken aback. Lachlain was crazy, too demanding, a brute, a barbarian, I called him so many names. And with any other book I would have frowned, but somehow Cole made me fall for that dog (as some of Emma's family happily calls the Lycae). I have no idea how she manages it, but he just creeps under your skin and stays there.

Poor Lachlain, tortured, dying, and brought back to life for 150 years. No wonder he was a bit crazed. He was all alpha, so very alpha. He was also later very protective and sometimes the whole mine thing just makes a girl weak in the knees. Then we have Emma, she is no kickass female, she is actually weak and timid. But all women do not need to be kickass. She just does not want conflicts, but little by little this little weakling gains more strength. They are suited for each other.

This is what I want paranormal romance to be like. I am smitten and I like it. The book has plenty of passion, and two people that are so unlikely to fall in love, they are enemies, but they are destined to be together and the road there is not easy.

The whole universe is interesting with many different "creatures" running around, making alliances and waging war against each other.

Conclusion:

Would I recommend this book, yes! Will I read more, I sure will :D

Rating

Made me love Paranormal romance again

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking., 18 Mar. 2010
I bought this book not really that bothered one way or the other, now I'm addicted to the Immortals after Dark Series.

It is beyond fantastic.

You find yourself immersed in the reality not questioning the existance of werewolves or vampires etc. It truly is magical.

And the heat, oh my. You find yourself holding your breath at the anticipation.

Well worth a 5 star rating :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Hunger Like No Other- Immortals After Dark #1, 9 Aug. 2012
This is the first book in the incredibly popular paranormal romance series by Kresley Cole, featuring alpha heroes, kick-ass heroines, wacky humour, hot sexytimes and just general mayhem and awesomeness. In this story we meet Lachlan MacRieve, a Lykae (werewolf) king who escapes a century and a half-long imprisonment when he scents his one true mate passing above his underground jail cell in the catacombs under the streets of Paris, finally giving him the strength needed to break free from his bonds. Emmaline Troy, or Emmaline the Timid, is a half valkyrie (a fae-eared female immortal) and half vampire. Since it's vampires that have been keeping Lachlan chained and tortured for the last 15 decades, finding out his true love to be is be-fanged is not the best news Lachlan has heard recently. And since his sanity is already hanging by the most frayed of threads, this might just be the thing that tears it, once and for all.

This was actually a re-read. I read it originally way back before my reviewing days, or even before my Goodreads, Shelfari and Blogging days, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on it since is so nice and fresh in my mind. I have now the wisdom that experience provides, having read all twelve books currently available, to be able to say that although this is an excellent first instalment in many ways, it is but only the tip of the iceberg where this series is concerned. I know a few people struggled with this first book, or even DNF'd it, and I can understand that in a way, but I would always urge people who are initially put off by Lachlan's behaviour, to at least give him the entire book to try to change your mind.

And why is Lachlan such a problem I don't hear you ask? Well, as I mentioned above, his sanity is questionable at the beginning of this book, and upon first meeting Emmaline, he's only been free for 6 days, and has recently had to amputate one of his own limbs to break free (don't worry, he's immortal, they grow back) and is also in the grip of the mating madness that affects all Lykae once they've scented 'The One'. So he kinda, sorta, a little bit....um...fly-tackles her in the street and starts pawing at her like a madman. Then proceeds to force her to do sexual things once he's frog-marched her back to her hotel room.

Okay, it's bad. It sounds bad and it is bad. But you have to understand, Lachlan, as well as being completely bonkers at this point, also has only ever experienced the lust-crazed, orgy-loving, soulless nasty vampires the likes of which have been torturing him for centuries by BURNING THE SKIN FROM HIS BONES. He is not, repeat not, in his right mind, and also has no idea that nice, non soul-sucking vampires, even exist. So when Emma appears to be cowering, or shy of revealing her body, he just thinks it's more of their lies and manipulations. Basically, he just thinks that fate has truly screwed him over by giving him a bloodsucker for a mate, and hasn't quite decided whether to keep her or kill her yet.

Of course we as a reader have the benefit of having an insight into both Lachlan's crazed, not to mention incorrect, thoughts, and also into Emmaline's character. Which is that of a sweet-tempered, shy, sheltered sort of girl/vampire. She hasn't been nicknamed Emmaline the Timid for nothing. And that's what makes it all the more outrageous that he is treating her this way. He couldn't be more wrong about her character if he tried. And so we have to suffer through this part, endure the indignation on Emmaline's behalf, and then just sit back and watch until the big Doofus gets a clue. A lot of the books in this series are based around these kind of extreme misconceptions or miscommunications, which cause the participants an awful lot of angst and heartache, but make for good reading nonetheless. Anyone who knows my intense dislike for meat-head alpha "dominant" male types will be wondering if I've had some kind of personality transplant where this series is concerned because the behaviour is worse than a lot of the ones that I complain about. But there's just something about he way Cole writes it, it's almost so extreme that it makes a weird kind of sense to me. And the bad behaviour of the males is always due to a mix-up of some sort, it's never just that the males are that kind of arrogant a-hole that think it's cool to treat women with contempt or to overpower and control them (Dimitri, I am talking to you). And in fact, once everything is cleared up, they usually turn out to be some of the most caring, sweet and protective alpha males in all of Paranormal Romance Land. Not to mention super-smexy. Did I mention Cole knows how to write a love scene? Hmm mmm.

One of my favourite things about this series is its characters. They too are often extreme in their personalities- there are no wishy washy, cardboard cut out secondary characters here. They are all vibrant, often hilarious or outrageously wicked, and they just jump out from the pages. It's a series that has many, many quotables and funny lines too. The world-building and lore is interesting and exciting and the various races and species of immortals are all as irresistible as the next.

If I were to make any complaints, apart from that Lachlan is a grade one a-hole at the start of the book which we've pretty much covered- it would be that I found it slightly disappointing that the werewolves in this series don't actually Shift. They just get taken over by their "beast" and their appearance alters slightly- claws and fangs- but that's it. This is slightly compensated by their being gruff, sexy, rugby-playing Scots with castles, so, you know, silver linings and all that.

Also, I know some people aren't keen on the fated mates trope, but it works in this series because it's the only possible way these opposites would attract.

In sum, I recommend this series. It's a lot of fun and very sexy with some high drama and sweet happily ever afters. So don't let the Big Bad Wolf put you off ;)

4 Stars ★★★★ ♥

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the world of the IAD, 20 April 2011
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Leader of the Lykae Lachlain MacRieve has spent years suffering unbearable torment at the hands of the vampire horde. Greatly weakened and barely holding on to his sanity, Lachlain senses the one thing that could save him - his predestined mate. Given the strength to escape he tracks down Emmaline Troy, but is horrified to discover fate's awful sense of humour. Emmaline is a half-vampire in Paris to try to track down information about her family after a sheltered upbringing in the US. Forced together can Emma bring the Lykae King to his knees, and become the fighter she was meant to be?

This is the first book in the Immortals After Dark series, and I'm reviewing it after the second time I've read it. To me the worst part of the book is the cover - it's cheesy and makes it look like the guy is the vampire which is not the case. It put me off buying the book for a long time, but after repeated recommendations from friends I read it and really enjoyed it.

The book does create the entire Immortals After Dark world, which means the story can drag a little at times. On the plus side at the end of the book (or at least my edition) there is a guide to the types of characters created which is helpful. The author does manage to avoid info-dumping the reader, but there is a fair amount of backstory included. The world is really unique - including Valkyries, Wraiths and Ghouls as well as the somewhat standard vampires and werewolves and I love the depth the author has managed to create.

I really liked Emma as a lead character and was able to identify with her easily. Lachlain, however, grew on me as the book went on. At first he is an arrogant jerk with an awful accent, but as the story progresses he becomes a far better character. Haunted by his torture he is really horrible to Emma when they first meet, so I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone looking for a sweet romance, but as he learns more about her and the modern world he adjusts his behaviour a lot.

All in all, I enjoyed this book a lot and am looking forward to No Rest for the Wicked.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 9/10
Cover: 7/10

Overall: 46/50

4.0 out of 5 stars Immortals After Dark book 1, 25 May 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Lachlain suffered unbearable torture at the hands of the vampire horde for 150 years before finally escaping when he senses his true mate is near by. After everything he has been through and the pain he suffers trying to escape he is horrified to discover that his mate is a vampire. But he has been waiting for 1000 years to find his true mate and isn't prepared to let her slip away from him even if she is part of a race that he despises. Emmaline isn't just your average vampire, she is actually half Valkyrie and has been raised by her Valkyrie aunts since her mother's death when she was just a baby. She has lived a sheltered life, always feeling different because of her vampire heritage and has set out to find out more about her parents and try to discover who her father is. When she is taken hostage by Lachlain she is terrified of him but agrees to help him get to his home in Scotland because he promises that he will let her go home if she does. Little does she know that she is his mate and he has no plans to ever let her escape from him.

I'd heard a lot of great things about this series and was really looking forward to reading A Hunger Like No Other but at the beginning I really wasn't too sure if I'd be able to finish reading it. I understand that Lachlain has survived horrific torture but when he practically forces himself on Emmaline within minutes of meeting her it made me feel quite uncomfortable & I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to like him as the hero of the story. Emmaline (known as Emma the timid by her family) starts off as a very weak and mild character and again I wasn't sure that she was going to make very good heroine material.

However, I'm very pleased that I persevered with the story - both Lachlain and Emma grow a great deal throughout the story and I enjoyed watching their relationship progress as Lachlain grew to care for Emma and she finally found her backbone. We were teased quite a bit before they finally consummated their relationship but when they finally did it was worth the wait and the action between them was very steamy.

I did find myself getting a bit confused about the world Kresley Cole has created and the number of characters made it difficult to keep up with who was who to start with but I felt that I'd got to grips with it by the end of the book. There is a novella in the anthology Playing Easy To Get that comes before this book in the series so perhaps if I'd read that first I would have found it a little less confusing. I'm definitely planning on reading the anthology along with the rest of the series though. Although there were a few things that irritated me I did find myself really enjoying A Hunger Like No Other by the end and am looking forward to re-visiting this world again in future books. Overall this was a great start to the series and I'm curious to see where it will take me. I've not read anything with Valkyrie's in before and I found them an interesting addition to the genre. I'd definitely recommend paranormal romance fans give this book a try but if like me you aren't too sure at the beginning please keep reading - it is worth it in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, 18 April 2010
I wasn't expecting much when I bought this because the front cover really is so trashy and awful, but the reviews persuaded me.
The story follows Lachlain, a Lychae, who finally finds the strength to escape centuries of torture and captivity when he scents his mate in the streets above him. However, when he finds her, he is disgusted to discover that she is a vampire and possibly something else, something to be reviled by his kind, not adored. Still, as he is overwhelmed by the modern times that he finds himself in, he forces a terrified Emmaline to stay with him and guide him back to his home. The story follows their journey as he fights feelings of revulsion, lust and love and she tries to bargain with him for her release back to her unusual family.

I found myself enthralled in the story. It was much more well-written that the cover implied it would be! The style is similar to that of Christine Feehan, if you have read the Dark series, but it is much more modern in its style. Although the characters are ancient immortals, they are living in current times and are used to modern ammenities. Kresley Cole is very good at getting you to empathise with the emotions of both characters. She writes in the 3rd person but regularly switches between focusing on Emmaline's point of view and then Lachlain's. It really helps to make the story more engaging.
I do agree with some of the other reviews that Lachlain's Scottish dialogue grated a bit at times, especially as it was inaccurate, but that aside, it was great and I whipped through it in a day.
The book far exceeded my expectations. I would recommend it. I'm looking forward to reading the rest in the series.

EDIT: I have read all of the series now and would recommend every one of them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kindle edition: no problems in this edition- go ahead and download.

A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark)
A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark) by Kresley Cole (Paperback - 3 Mar. 2011)