5.0 out of 5 stars Mary does it again....
Another excellent tale from Mary Higgins Clark guaranteed to keep you guessing until the very end. Once you have read or heard this one you will want to catch up with her extensive book list. Hope there are plenty more to come.
Published on 5 Jun 2011 by Shirley

Published on 10 Nov 2011 by Maxine Clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars A reprise of formula - easygoing, undemanding read with masses of plot holes!, 10 Nov 2011
Maxine Clarke "Maxine of Petrona" (Kingston upon Thames, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I'll Walk Alone (Hardcover)
I'll Walk Alone repeats the successful formula of n other books by Mary Higgins Clark. The reader knows exactly what to expect - the protagonist is a decent young woman suffering some ordeal that is outside her control; various male characters are involved, one of whom will probably end up being the villain and another of whom will probably end up marrying her; and there's a dash of suspense, but nothing too explicit, in resolving the mystery.

I'll Walk Alone is about an interior designer, Zan (Alexandra) Moreland, whose young child disappeared from a New York park two years ago, never to be found. Zan has attempted to put her life back together, but although she makes ends meet she remains traumatised. The framework for the action here is two-fold: Zan is behaving strangely (for example, confessing to a priest that she is aware of a murder that is about to be committed); and some startling new evidence is revealed indicating she may have kidnapped her own child.

Events unfold from the perspective of several characters, two of whom are Alivirah and Willie Meehan, who will be familiar from previous novels as Alvirah, a cleaning lady, won millions of dollars in the state lottery and is now an amateur detective and columnist for a New York newspaper. It is in this latter guise that she has become friends with Zan, trying to support the fragile young woman as she tries to re-establish her career. However, even Alvirah begins to doubt Zan's sanity as the evidence implicating her in her son's disappearance seems overwhelming.

This is a book that one must simply take on its own terms. It carries the reader along in its engaging, confiding style. However, there are many coincidences and plot holes that really don't bear any scrutiny. If one is going to enjoy the novel, one is going to have to leave one's critical faculties at the door. There is also rather a lot left unexplained at the end about what's been going on for the past two years and why, not least in the motivation of one person, who seems particularly dopey when it comes to being threatened and manipulated, and seems never to have heard of covering oneself by lodging an account of events with a lawyer or bank. Yet despite these flaws, reading this undemanding book passed the time pleasantly enough on a Saturday while suffering from a cold.

3.0 out of 5 stars Higgins Clark was better before, 4 Sep 2011
Madsen Bertil "Leser" (Landskrona, Schweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Walk Alone (Paperback)
Many of Ms Higgins Clark's books were stimulating, scary and intelligent. However, this one, I'll Walk Alone, lacks her earlier power; it is actually not an interesting book. Don 't buy this one, but start reading her earliar books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Far from the best of her books, 27 April 2012
Expat "Sarah" (Thuringen, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Walk Alone (Paperback)
I have read Mary Higgins Clark in the past and enjoyed her books as light, undemanding reads. You pretty much know that you'll get the same sort of thing every time - heroine being threatened in some way; nasty man she may think is trustworthy; nice man she ends up with. This book follows the pattern, with a guessable villain and hero. But from the start it reads like the output of someone who has been to some sort of writing class where they are advised that the information on characters should come out in the dialogue or the characters' thoughts, resulting in the worst dialogue and thoughts I think I have ever come across in a book. It really is badly written. We have an omniscient narrator who is able to get into the heads of all the characters, and they all run through their backgrounds in the most stilted and forced way. An example from near the beginning: "I kept putting off going to see Mom and Dad who were living in Rome, Zan thought...". It's all like that. I seriously considered chucking the book away well before I was a quarter of the way through, but I persevered. Luckily it didn't take too long, but it will be a long time before I pick up another of this author's books. (On the positive side, the plot wasn't too bad, but the writing style intruded too much to make it enjoyable.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary does it again...., 5 Jun 2011
Shirley (S.W.England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Walk Alone (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars good reading, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: I'll Walk Alone (Kindle Edition)
I would reccomend this book. It is typicle Mary higgins Clark. I love the suspense. A good read. I like all her books

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll walk alone, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: I'll Walk Alone (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant, couldn't put it down really wasn't expecting it to turn out the way it did. I would differently recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The pages turn themselves, 11 July 2011
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I'll Walk Alone (Hardcover)
My Queen of Comfort Reads has done it again - I can always rely on Mrs Higgins Clark to whisk me away to somewhere on the US east coast (NYC in this case) and allow me to escape for a few hours with plots to solve and baddies to catch.

Alexandra (Zan) Moreland is in turmoil on what would have been the 5th birthday of her son Matthew who was kidnapped two years ago in broad daylight while out with his babysitter in Central Park. Despite no trace of Matthew ever being found, Zan has still not been able to give up hope that he is still alive somewhere. But just when she thinks things can't get any worse, a photo appears in the paper that appears to show her scatching her own child from his pushchair in the park. Not only that but purchases are being made from Zan's personal and business account for things she knows she didn't order.....or did she? As Zan starts to doubt her own sanity, someone is clearly at work attempting to destroy her. But why?

Although I thoroughly enjoyed this book (as always) I didn't find it one of her best. I think more could have been made of putting Zan in some danger as it was really all done remotely and even though Zan sometimes doubts her own sanity, we the reader are left in no doubt that it is not her who is doing this but someone else. I also had an inkling early on as to who the perp might be and I was right but to be honest I couldn't quite fathom out why they would go to such extreme lengths to destroy Zan (by taking her child): the reason didn't seem quite right to me.

Verdict: Another pacey thriller and fans of Higgins Clark will love this. If you haven't read any of her other books yet then I demand that you do! Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Higgins Clark - At her Best - get gripped by such good writing, 26 May 2011
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I'll Walk Alone (Hardcover)
I will own up and say I got this from our local library, was popping in for youngest ones book and this was on the shelf of new releases, I just couldn't resist, especially when reading the blurb on the inside cover.

Have read nearly all the Mary Higgins Clark books, hooked after reading one lent to me by my late father, so on seeing this had to grab it.

The main character is Zan an altogether likeable character, apart from the big fact that she may know something about her own missing child.

Nightmare's grip Zan in her search for her son, that and the feeling as though someone else is taking over her life and leaving her in a horrific nightmare is just for starters.

Mary Higgins Clark has done again what she is best at, 'writing such gripping tales of terror that keep you awake until you finish it'. I read it in just two days ..... Well somethings have to wait when you get gripped by such good writing.

The ending was no let down and not an ending I would have thought of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plot-Rich Story of a "Frame Up" Featuring Multiple Narrators, 20 May 2011
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
"I lie awake,
And am like a sparrow alone on the housetop." -- Psalm 102:7 (NKJV)

The book's jacket copy is an artful and unusually good introduction to this book. I couldn't do nearly as well. Read it.

What if someone tried to destroy your life by framing you for a horrible crime that you didn't commit, a crime that would cause everyone to detest you? If you already felt guilty for having made mistakes, no doubt the accusations would be devastating. That's the basis of the suspense and the sympathy that most readers will feel for Alexandra "Zan" Moreland, the book's heroine, whose son was kidnapped two years earlier than the book's beginning.

Two of the strengths of this book are that the pacing is relatively fast and involving a large number of narrators allows for quick splices of perspective that keep the story from dragging as the suspense builds. I know how hard it is to write a novel that's relatively strong in both dimensions, and admired the skill displayed.

One of the book's weaknesses is that it's much too easy to figure out who the villain is.

Another serious weakness is that a number of the minor characters aren't developed enough to make them fully understandable and interesting. Having the characters was necessary for the plot to work, but you won't be engaged by them.

There's also a missed opportunity to put the heroine into more personal peril . . . rather than great anguish. I recently listened to a narration of Cara Black's Murder in the Palais Royal, which also deals with a frame-up and the physical threats in that book made the story much more lively and exciting.

So what's the right star rating? I think it's about 3.5 . . . and I rounded up.

Guard your identity!

1.0 out of 5 stars poorly written rubbish, 21 Sep 2011
Jeannie B (Perthshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Walk Alone (Hardcover)
I had previously read an earlier Mary Higgins Clark book and had added her to my list of readable authors, however, if this had been the first of her books I had read I would not read another.

I'll Walk Alone
I'll Walk Alone by Mary Higgins Clark (Paperback - 5 Jan 2012)