5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST NOVEL I'VE READ IN TEN YEARS!!!!
Published on 3 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointing
I love this author but found this particular book a bit drawn out and had to make myself finish it.
Published on 14 April 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointing, 14 April 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST NOVEL I'VE READ IN TEN YEARS!!!!, 3 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Deviant Ways (Paperback)
Seldom does a new author come along with a debut novel that's filled with such believable characters, such vivid storytelling, and such breathtaking intensity, that it knocks the reader right out of their socks. Chris Mooney's debut novel, DEVIANT WAYS, does that and more. This is the story of the Sandman, a killer who knows your every thought, your every move, and there's nowhere for you to hide from him. As a teenager, he was part of a government experimental program, headed by the FBI, a program in which many of its participants were methodically tortured with new drugs being tested and even electro-shock. The Sandman is an adult now, and he wants revenge! His intentions are to kill the doctors and psychiatrists who did this to him and to bring the FBI tumbling down. The killing spree begins in Marblehead, a rich, seashore community in Massachusetts where many of his former torturers live. The Sandman doesn't just want to kill them. No, that would be too merciful. He wants to force them to watch as he massacres their entire families. Then, when the police show up, he'll take them out, too, along with the entire neighborhood. He wants to quickly draw the attention of the FBI and the national media. That's when the fun really begins! Only one man might be able to stop this diabolical killer: Jack Casey, a former FBI profiler, whose wife and unborn daughter were murdered by Miles Hamilton (a serial killer that Dr. Hannibal Lecter would be proud to know). Casey is now a detective for the Marblehead Police Department and probably understands the mind of a serial killer better than anyone. You see, Casey is a killer himself. He's killed more than once in the line of duty, and he likes taking down the bad guys. In fact, if our dark hero can get his hands on the illusive Sandman, he might just teach him a thing or two about death. DEVIANT WAYS will grab you in a strangle hold in the first twenty pages and not let you up for air till the final page is read! Each chapter will propel you forward onto the next with the speed of a roller coaster, daring you to try and stop as Mr. Mooney makes you peel back layer after layer of this multi-structured story, pushing you to discover the truth hidden within the core of his central characters. The novel also has a score of secondary characters that are every bit as mysterious and intriguing as the lead ones are. There's Miles Hamilton, the killer who changed Casey's life forever. Then, there's Malcolm Fletcher, also a former FBI profiler who once tried to stop the inhuman experiments that created the Sandman. The FBI sent assassins to shut him up, but they weren't good enough. Now, he's come out of hiding to help Casey drive a stake through the Sandman's heart and hopefully to get retribution against his former employers. The pacing of DEVIANT WAYS is relentless, and it has so many twists and turns that the reader will never be able to guess the ending. At the heart of the novel, however, are the themes of lost and redemption. Both Casey and Fletcher have done things in the past that they're not proud of, and the time has come to balance the scales. I can't say enough good things about this remarkable novel, and I find it rather awe-inspiring that the author could come from out of nowhere with a debut novel of this quality and magnitude. I don't know how he's going to be able to surpass it. Buy DEVIANT WAYS, read it, and then I dare to sleep for the next two nights. You can't hide from the Sandman!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Hannibal look like a boy scout., 12 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Deviant Ways (Paperback)
Awesome! If you never read another book in your life read this book. People who love crime novels will be estatic that this new writer has come on the scene. You'll be hooked from the very first page and you'll not be able to put it down. If you borrow this from some one to read you'll soon be buying your own copy as I am now. So beg, steal or borrow but read the book!!! How this persons first novel can be this good is incredible. How he will follow on from this remains to be seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars another disturbing thriller, 9 July 2009
VERY well written as expected with Chris Mooney he has a way of making fiction very believable, charactors although fictional probably existsomewhere The violence is both alarming and infuriating but entertaining, if you've read and enjoyed other of his titles you'll enjoy this one as they're all in the same genre

5.0 out of 5 stars I got quite into it, 26 Jun 2014
Keith Lawson (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Deviant Ways (Paperback)
I wasn't enjoying the beginning, perhaps because I was reading this after a glut of crime novels with serial killers, but it grew on me and then shot away with a pace and intensity that was gripping. The antagonist, the Sandman, seems invisible and invincible and, with his high level of technical skill and bombmaking expertise, devastatingly effective at murder.
Jack Casey, a cop with a history and bad experience with another killer, finds himself involved, risking his sanity and the love of a beautiful woman.
This has the potential for a great movie - plenty of plot and action, with interesting characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, a real page turner., 5 May 2014
This review is from: Deviant Ways (Paperback)
For me and my wife, the best of Chris Mooney.
Very dark, but always readable, not at all silly, but thought provoking.
This genre has been done to death, but Chris has a style and quality especially this book, all his own.
Cracker, highly recommended. Read them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars GRAET BOOK, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Deviant Ways (Paperback)
I WOULD RECOMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYBODY AS A GREAT READ I WAS GLUED TO THE BOOK FROM START TO FINISH

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: Deviant Ways (Paperback)
After reading some of the reviews I wasn't sure whether I wanted to read this book or not, but I'm glad I did it as it kept me gripped and turning the pages.
Although it did make me think about how some profilers, deetectives, etc can control their thoughts about what they see in real life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book by Chris Mooney, 28 July 2011
This review is from: Deviant Ways (Paperback)
Brilliant page turner - if you like his other stuff, don't hesitate to buy it. Bit dark at times, but well worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why so bad?, 4 July 2011
E. W. Collier "tobyfin" (Cheltenham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deviant Ways (Paperback)
I have a reading routine. I alternate "trashy" thrillers, sci-fi and policiers with literary fiction. Prior to this I read Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom" (wonderful, by the way, but long and I felt I needed something easy). This book - "Deviant Ways" - appeared to tick the boxes; it had commendations from Michael Connolly, Mark Bullingham etc. The blurb looked good. The first couple of pages were promising.

Reader, I didn't finish it. Clearly Chris Mooney can write - it's properly punctuated, which makes a change from some of the stuff I read. It had occasional literary allusions, which goes down well with me. But boy! did it come laden with backstory baggage - the death of Jack's first wife at the hands of a killer he was attempting to catch - which actually had the opposite effect from what I imagine the author intended; I decided that Jack was a whinging cur who deserved everything he got. Worse than that, the actual crimes (enormous and highly complex bombs placed in the unlikeliest of places) made me laugh they were so dumb; dozens of pinhole cameras, all sorts of sophisticated surveillance equipment including cameras in trees - and all without being noticed?

I got to somewhere over half way and without a moment's regret put it down. I realised that not only was I not enjoying it (I had just read an entirely gratuitous and harrowing account of the torture of captured children) but I actually had lost the plot; I kept wondering who so-and-so was, and whether we'd met him or her before and worse - I just didn't care. I didn't care who won. I didn't care whether or not Jack's current squeeze Taylor and/or her niece survived the inevitable million tons of Semtex hidden in the garage, set to go off on the decay of a single atom of Caesium 139. Bring it on. Just make sure Jack's in the vicinity, so that we have no more of this tosh.

Did I mention that I thought it sucked? It did, majorly.

Deviant Ways
Deviant Ways by Chris Mooney (Paperback - 14 Oct 2011)