5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful Book
Bought this after reading a review in the Sunday papers. It has lived up to the promise. Each chapter addresses a different issue in a direct, simple and informative way. Just dip in as and when you like and be both entertained and informed.
Published on 17 April 2012 by Pale Dog

3.0 out of 5 stars An overall view of Britain from the surface
A few more depth on the study of what makes Britain today would be an advantage. But still, I recommend it.
Published 12 months ago by M. Menezes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Britain etc. (Paperback)
A book that has a lot of information about certain elements of Britain and goes through random facts in each chapter, but it is all combined with a sense of humour and is quite an easy read.
I bought as a present and good very good feedback.
It is a good read and would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight into Britain, 4 April 2014
Lotta Continua (Doncaster, South Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britain Etc. (Kindle Edition)
I am usually dubious about journalists who write state of the nation pieces: so Mark Easton's book is a delightful romp across modern Britain, challenging our misconceptions.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Surprising good read that challenges your thinking., 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Britain Etc. (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on my kindle as I was looking for something light. Like other reviews, I though it would be a Bryson-esque book, with humorous stories about how eccentric British people are. However, I was pleasantly surprised to be find that this book, delivers details that challenge comfortable thinking. I would recommend this book for anyone involved in public policy as it shows that rushing to respond and deliver results, usually achieves the opposite effect. I thought I was reasonably informed about today's Britain but Easton's essays showed how shallow some of the foundations of my knowledge were. I would highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Treasure trove of information, 10 Dec 2013
ACL (Blackburn, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britain Etc. (Kindle Edition)
Witty, well written and very informative this book kept me hooked from the start. Capturing what it is like to be British it is a highly recommended read.

3.0 out of 5 stars An overall view of Britain from the surface, 25 Nov 2013
M. Menezes "shantiman" (Portugal) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read a copy, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Britain Etc. (Kindle Edition)
Mark Easton's combination of wit and scholarship has produced a book which is a pleasure to read. It reflects the commitment of a first-class journalist to debunking myths and improving public information.
== Eddie Barrett

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrating being Britsh, 11 Nov 2013
Mr. D. Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britain Etc. (Kindle Edition)
A good easy to read book with some most interesting background to various aspects of being British. Using the alphabet to divide the history into sizeable chunks worked well for me and being comtemporary meant that I could relate to the stories being told. I would recommend this book which brings history alive and it is not dull or hard to understand in any way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Britain Etc. (Kindle Edition)
This is a great little book, a sort of "Invention of Tradition" for the non-specialist. Discover why (if you are British) you associate certain dog breeds with certain groups, why some people get aggressive after drinking, why you love or hate the Queen, the list goes on and on. Written in lean, highly entertaining prose, the book looks at the historical, cultural, and legal roots of current customs and habits of thought. A wonderful read if you want to know more about who you are and WHY you are that way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 25 Oct 2013
G. Heywood (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britain Etc. (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book. Twenty-six subjects (one for each letter of the alphabet) arranged in twenty-six chapters.

Mark Easton looks at some very interesting subjects from alcohol, drugs, immigration, knives and youth. Each subject is discussed in terms of the current "British" situation, and then looked at from the view point of history. Explanations for certain current situations (such as the way teenagers are viewed by the older generation, or why the British swear more than some other cultures) are provided and explored. The only thing that I didn't like was when he talked about the role of the press in some chapters. I know he is a press correspondent, but while he covers the damage the press have done (and continue to do) to society, there doesn't seem to be any remorse there. Perhaps it is unfair to tar all journalists with the same brush though.

It is a very easy read, but well cited and sourced, and the range of topics covered should ensure there is something for everyone.

I know some others have mentioned a dislike for the political references, but I found them necessary. I also didn't find them biased in any way. I didn't know his political affiliation before, and still don't!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading for holidays, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Britain etc. (Paperback)
Since the book is based around an A - Z format, it makes it really easy to pick up, read a some sections and leave for a few weeks. Mark's writing style is easy to follow and I learnt lots if interesting trivia.
BTW Mark Easton Re: D for Dogs - I'm neither trying to look hard, nor am I scared!

Britain etc.
Britain etc. by Mark Easton (Paperback - 28 Mar 2013)